Reloading - How to begin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

E.C. West

Bearcat
OK,,,I've been thinking about doing this for years. Now that I just added a Super Redhawk 44 mag to my already Super Blackhawk 44 mag and a Ruger 44 mag semi carbine....now I want to start reloading 44 mags. cartridges.

I have never reloaded before or seen it done. How do I begin? What equipment do I need and/or a good source for information.

I need a book "Reloading for Idiots" if there is one.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Go to Midwayusa.com and buy yourself "The ABCs of Reloading," "Modern Reloading" by Lee, and maybe even the "Lyman Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition." You should be able to find them on Amazon.com as well. You can never have too many reloading manuals.

Read those, see where they differ, try and figure out why they differ and understand each viewpoint, and keep reading them until you understand every step of the process completely. Only when you understand everything should you start deciding on equipment and components.

It looks like Midway has a section of videos/dvds as well, those could probably prove very useful.

Reading through those manuals should answer most of your questions, bring the rest here, and there will be plenty of people happy to help you out.

GP100man

Buckeye
First :A WELCOME TO THE RUGER FORUM.COM !!!!!!!

You`re startin with the round I did in `83

slippingaway done hit the readin material I was gonna suggest!

If ya take ya time & look around there`s good used tools offered .

A good solid single stage to start , dies , powder scales, some way to dispense powder & alot like to prime off press by hand .

I personnally like the lee dies with the auto disc measure ,flares & charges in 1 step !

Just remember ask questions , all of em !!!!
We all started somewhere !!

Do you have anyone local you could possibly watch or try there equipment with there help????

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A lot of great info is in the post at the top of this section under a "sticky". Check it out.
Next,, if you can find a "mentor" then by all means,, get one & spend time with someone who has a lot of experience loading.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
First Buy the Lyman Reloading Manual and read it. Ask questions as you need then start with a single stage press KIT and Carbide type dies.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Yes, read up some & start buying the essentials. If you look through a reloading catalog you will see a bunch of stuff that is not required to start loading. A manual will break the steps down, brass prep, priming,powder charging, & seating, maybe crimping the bullet. I actually reload more than I shoot. I'm trying to cut myself off some.

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Well I am also new to reloading, been at it now for a whopping 2 months. Its a very satisfying hobby. I would have to say the best place for info would be right here on this site. These guys are a wealth of info and they show great patience in answering all questions. I had limited funds to spend so I went and bought what I needed piece meal rather than buy a new kit.
single stage pacific press, older model works great, rugged $40
new rcbs carbide dies (3 dies) $40
used lee hand primer $5
lee shell holder kit $15
used rcbs case deburer $5
caliber (already had one) $0
new lee powder scale on e-bay $10
used lyman powder thrower/measure $50
used lyman reloading book $5
powder and bullets

bigflash1

Bearcat
I've been loading 38/357/223 about a year now. I went the route of buying a "Kit" from Lee. While I'm very happy with the kit, it has it's limitations (get what you pay for sort of thing). If you go the Classic route like I did, then UPGRADE to the pro powder measure (the std one isn't going to stand up to much... Learned that the hard way). I load several hundred rounds a week now (shoot - reload - repeat). Also get a set of calipers. I upgraded to a digital scale too since I've started reloading my 223's. Much faster than the beam scales and not so fussy about air currents, etc. Also, go carbide dies for any straight wall cases. Lubing (steel dies) adds a cleanup step.
For a tumbler, there are some sales at times for them, harbor freight has one too. I happen to have a small 1 bag cement mixer from HF that I put 25lbs of walnut shells in. While it does take 3-4 hours to clean and polish the shells, it's paid for.
Point is, you don't have to go mega buck route to build quality ammo.

Absolutely get the best reloading book(s) referenced above. Don't know where you shoot, but there are always fellow reloaders at the ranges I go to. Most everyone will help with questions.

Youtube has lots of videos too. Watch them and see what might work for you. One of the ones that scares the bejeebies out of me is an old time style loading tool that you use a hammer... looks like it works but I don't think I would ever pound on a tool reloading ammo. Just my $.02

As suggested above - Wear those safety glasses all the time! 1st sideways primer that goes off in the press... well, you get the picture

If you get to a specific question, there are always folks here that will help.

Be safe

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I have only been at reloading for ~1.5 years.

Personally i prefer the tutorial section in the Lyman manuals to the other manuals I own. However, they all provide similar info. Each manual I read, will get you where you want to go.

As others have stated, just start out by getting a manual and doing some reading. People can all tell you what we think you need so you can reload, however w/o the manual you MAY NOT know why you need the item.

The reloading manuals will provide all the information, safety and suggestions for supplies that you will need/want. After reading and understanding the process, you'll be able to decide if reloading is for you. IMO, reloading isn't necesarrily a "means to an end". It is its own hobby.

If after reading, you decide it isn't for you, then you're only out the cost of the manual. better that than being out of pocket the cost of all the supplies and equipment.

So many folks look at reloading as a cost saver (myself included, initially). Reloading WILL increase start up costs. each time you buy a new firearm in a new cartridge, you'll have to find brass, bullets, maybe powder & primers, dies, shell holders, etc............ So that can be a reasonable investment. It's quite easy to have $1K (or a couple thousand) worth of bullets, primer, brass, and powder just sitting on a shelf. (i try not to think about it. :shock:) and usually when I place orders, i try to get everything at once to save on shipping......or at least that's the excuse I use........so supply orders CAN BE a bit pricey.

The earlier we are in our reloading "careers" the more expense we incur. However as we move along and the more reloads we get under our belts, it is then that we we MIGHT realize a cost savings.

Initially i was a bit leery of reloading on my own. However after reading the manuals and then finally getting my hands dirty, there's nothing to it.

it can be as complicated or expensive as you want to make it.

~c.r.

volgunner

Bearcat
I'm in the middle of the process right now, and you've come to the right place for info. Spend some time trolling here and on the reloading sections of other shooting sites. Also, I just picked up the most recent editions of the Speer and Lyman reloading manuals and am slugging my way through them.

There are videos of various popular reloading presses on the ultimate reloader website. These really help you get a sense of how the process works in operation, the differences in the types of presses, and how other equipment (powder measures, trimmers, etc.) works.

Finally, I just happened onto a reloading demonstration at Bass Pro Shop when I was in there last Saturday. The demonstration guy let me load a cartridge (fake gunpowder, of course), and it really helped me understand more about how this all works.

Good luck. This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Regards,
Russell

Doxadude

Bearcat
I just recently acquired some more reloading equipment. I have some things I'd be willing to donate if you are on a budget. (just pay the shipping) I have a set of Lee non-carbide dies in 44mag/spec, a lee powder scale, a RCBS powder trickler... and few other things. ( I need to look over what I have) Get the books suggested for sure. I found Lee's book very helpful. When you're ready to start, just PM me.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Welcome to the forum! I started reloading 5 years ago, exactly on the .44 mag. Got tired of buying factory ammo. Soon after, I added .38/.357 mag, followed by .30-06 and recently 7mm-08. I started by doing a lot of readig and asking around. A friend recommended the Lyman kit with the turret press. So fat, this is the only reloading press I/ve needed. I did away with the primer seating doodah that came with the press and bought an RCBS hand primer.

A friend walked me through setting up the dies, choosing a load, record-keeping (very important), etc. After I loaded a few batches, I was on my own. It's not rocket science. I have my share of bloopers, and this is wahy I recommend buying a bullet puller to undo mistakes. You'll need a micrometer to do your measuring. Very important.

All my reloads have gone bang except for two, and none has gone bang too hard. I can still count to 10 on my fingers.

I now have a collection of reloading manuals, and every time I decide to try something new (bullet, powder, etc), I read up on it from as many manuals as I can. Any new load will start at the minimum stated in the manuals, or close to it, and work up. I usually test fire my product until I find a load that makes my groups smaller than the rest. Each gun has its favorites.

Being able to match the ammunition to the gun is what makes reloading a good idea. Al my guns now have their "favorite" loads for target and hunting. I also have a defense load for .357mag I can shoot from an SP101 and not feel like I'm hammering my hand.

The .44mag can be loaded from mild .44 special loads (some having amazing accuracy) up to rip-roaring hunting loads. The selection of components is very wide. Prepare to do a lot of experimenting.

Best of luck!!

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I took an NRA approved metallic cartridge reloading class from a guy on the local KSCCw forum. Learned alot. Plus the last part of class involved actually loading a few rounds ourselves. Even setup the press. Very educational, espesially for $50.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum and to reloading. Where are you - might be someone here that lives near you and can help. Read the sticky, the suggested manuals and ask question here.

Latest posts