Reloading for SP101.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deezil

Bearcat
I have a SP101 2" barrel that I want to start reloading for. I have been using a lee handloader for years doing .38spl with a keg of Bullseye That was handed down to me. Its been working out well.

I want to reload the .357 now and have acquired 2#'s of 296. Along with that a friend gave me dang near 1000 Ancient 110 grain sjhp remington loose bullets All clean and still sealed. I have been saving all my spent 357 cases for years as well. I knew one of these days .357 would be hard to find and expensive so what better time than the present to reload for it.

These will be just for Plinking and range time.

I cannot find any load data using this specific remington Bullet. Winchester powders website shows the Hornady 110 xtp load data. I don't want to Assume... But should I be able to use that load data for these Remington 110 grain or is this 296 and its specified load data too hot for a old sjhp?

Thoughts?

6gun

Hunter
I load lots of 357 for my SP101 Yes that data would be safe to use just start out with lowest load listed and work your way up, you can't always find data for every name brand of bullet so using data for same type and weight of a different brand works just fine I do it often.

Also most manuals call out for magnum primers for 296 powder incase you didn't know, I wouldn't recommend 110gr. bullets for 357 you might as well use them since you have them but SP 101's shoot 158gr. bullets the most accurately.

I normally use Win 231 powder for 357 the velocity is a bit lower but uses half the powder a 296 load does, since you have 296 no reason not to use it, looking at the data for 110gr. bullet looks like Autocomp powder might be even better that 231 less powder yet, but 296 loads are the most fun to shoot if you like loud with more recoil. :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
W-296 and 110gr bullets is not a very good combination for plinking considering you are not supposed to reduce the charge of W-296 more than 3% from max. A very slow powder with light bullets also does bad things to your gun. (erosion).

For those light bullets I would try and get some medium burn rate powder like Unique, Universal, Green Dot, AA#5, W-231 or HP-38.

Even a fast powder like Red Dot or Trail Boss or AA#2 would work fine.

Save the W-296 for medium or heavy bullets and loads. W-296 works fine with 158gr bullets.

willk

Blackhawk
What Jimbo said about Unique. Impossible to find but makes great reduced loads in a .357.

6gun

Hunter
Well the OP is not looking for reduced loads and is asking advice on the materials he has on hand not a lecture or opinions on various powders that's not the subject of this thread. :roll:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
H110/296 propellent is at the VERY END of being semi-appropriate for use with projectiles that light in the 357MAG cartridge;ie; it is too slow for that situation and 110gr bullets were actually designed for 38SPL usage if memory serves. SO, can it be done, sure; should it be done, probably not. WHY waste a good propellent designed to do it's best with the standard weight 357MAG projectiles [ 158..] on to their heavy weight [ 170...180 etc ] projectiles.

6gun

Hunter
Not a waste when it all you got in hand to use, it's not like you can run out and buy what ever powder you want right now, there is publish load data for what the OP is wanting to load and they will shoot and work just fine, there are a million different opinions for every load someone always thinks there idea is the best.

The OP simply asked is this combination safe to use, yes it is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
6gun said:
Not a waste when it all you got in hand to use, it's not like you can run out and buy what ever powder you want right now, there is publish load data for what the OP is wanting to load and they will shoot and work just fine, there are a million different opinions for every load someone always thinks there idea is the best.

Get real. It is not impossible to get another powder to use with those bullets (I gave many examples) nor is it impossible to get some heavier bullets for his W-296. Either move would be much better than doing what he asked about.

6gun

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
6gun said:

Get real. It is not impossible to get another powder to use with those bullets (I gave many examples) nor is it impossible to get some heavier bullets for his W-296. Either move would be much better than doing what he asked about.

Why? he has 2lbs. of 296 and 1000 110gr. bullets why go out and waste money when what you already have will work just fine?

Just because you have the opinion different loads are better don't mean there is a thing wrong with this load, sounds like a fun combination to shot to me wouldn't mind trying it myself, nice and loud powerful rounds that will wake all you old geezers up at the range. :lol:

deezil

Bearcat
Yikes! What a Mess this turned into.

I just wanted to see if I can shoot with what I have on hand. I already spent a ton on the 296 powder Having to pay Gouger fees for it. I cannot afford any other powders. This is what I got until I can save up for heavier grain jacket bullets. I have a ton of lead cast swc that I made years back I know thats not the way to go with a hot magnum round.

6gun

Hunter
Yes it always turns into a mess here when ever you ask about a load everyone here is the ultimate authority on reloading :lol:

Load a dozen or so up and give them a try and let us know how they shoot. 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
deezil said:
Yikes! What a Mess this turned into.
Not really. You can shoot 110gr bullets with W-296 but it would be much better to do something else. That's what you asked about. You could use a faster powder with the 110gr bullets and/or heavier 158gr bullets with the W-296 for better results. Simple. :D

deezil

Bearcat
I was able to trade 200pcs of the Remington 110's for 100pcs hornady xtp 140gr.

I assume this will be better to run withthe 296 than the 110's ?

deezil said:

Welcome to the forum deezil. You did well with your trade. Yes the 140's are more compatible with the 296. What weight are your swc, and size? In a revolver we use the size of the cylinder throat for best accuracy, and low leading of the barrel.
gramps

6gun

Hunter
deezil said:

The trade wasn't exactly in your favor but Yes 140gr. will be lots better, that reminds me I have a box of 100 140 gr. XTP's I bought to try out I never have gotten around to loading them yet but when I do they will be loaded with 231 powder, I use lots of 296 powder but I use it with 240gr. bullets for my 44 mag.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Yes , the OP *Can* safely produce a load using 296 and his R-P 110gr bullets. BUT ..

Once upon a time I loaded some 296 and 125gr loads for a 2in .357 for grins. And indeed the 4 foot long fireballs impressed mu shooting companions. But it was really just a stunt.

Popular powders like Unique or 231 are hard to get. But be flexable , and ANY vaguely medium speed powder will be far more suitable. And the powder charges that are 1/2 to 1/3 of those called for with 296 will make the switch pay for itself.

Possability #2 is give a try with those cast bullets. A full house 158gr load will be "interesting" in an SP101 , but hey , give a try.

Possability #3 - If you still have that Bullseye on hand , there is .357 data for that.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
57K said:
There's no reason W296 can't be used with good cast bullets. :wink:

Hi,

That combo's worked ok for me in a 3" GP. Just remember to use magnum primers and a TIGHT crimp...

And if it works for the OP, set those 110s aside until a more suitable powder can be found. Lightest jacketed bullets I've used with 296 were 125s, and I can say they were "usable" but that's about all. In MY guns, of course!

Rick C