Reelfoot expedition planned!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My niece and I have made it up to make a trip to Reelfoot Lake this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. For many years this was to be the first trip then another later, between Christmas and New Year's Day, when the weather turned really cold and miserable up north. This drove the eagles down South to Reelfoot and points South.

This will be the first such trip in several years, the Covid pandemic and other issues causing cancellations.

And the first trip without my beloved Nita. And our first since the ravaging storms of last December. Our favorite, Lakeview, was completely destroyed and the owner has no plans to rebuild. Also without my Jeep we enjoyed so much.

I am making every effort to continue living life alone in a dignified manner.

Bob Wright

turd

Blackhawk
Bob, I can only say that you are kind of the goal that most of us have in our lives. Your love of God, you kindliness, your commitment to youth, your ability to continue in the face of much difficulty gives us something to try to achieve. You are a real man.

Bob I remember Nita telling Linda while we were having lunch at SlingShots about how much she enjoyed Reelfoot area. We still have that on our go list, hope you and your Niece have a pleasant day. Looks like the weather for next Friday is going to be good as well.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
JPGLSG1234 said: ". Looks like the weather for next Friday is going to be good as well."

Jim, Nita and I made it up from the git-go that regardless of the weather, we'd go as planned. Some of our best trips were on days the weather was less than desirable. We went on unseasonably warm days and on days when there was snow and ice, and with rain and drizzle, we never let it deter us.

One experience: The weather had been very cold for a week or more, then turned very warm on the day of our trip. This resulted in a dense fog coming up off the surface of the water, and a dense cloud dropping from the sky. The result was that I stood on a boardwalk and could discern nothing in front of me beyond arm's length. Never experienced anything like that before or since.

Bob Wright

Bob, I hope you enjoy the trip. If you get any good pictures of a Eagle please post some of the pictures.

Where we live in Washington, outside of Seattle, there were some Eagles that lived along this river close to our house. They are pretty majestic, but up close, just as scary wicked as can be.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Bob, I hope you enjoy the trip. If you get any good pictures of a Eagle please post some of the pictures.

Where we live in Washington, outside of Seattle, there were some Eagles that lived along this river close to our house. They are pretty majestic, but up close, just as scary wicked as can be.

This from a previous trip a couple of years ago:

Bob Wright

Great Bald Eagle picture. I have been to Reelfoot once, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I always meant to go back, but time, and money considerations have stymied that trip. Prayers sent for you, kind friend, as you traverse areas that you and Nita frequented. May you have PEACE! Dignity is something you have had, since I came on this forum, and quite possibly much longer, since, a “leopard can’t change its spots.”
gramps

Nice picture, Bob!

I also see there is a little town of TN on 78 named “Wright.”

And what happened to Kentucky right there in that little corner? It looks like there is a little island for the state of KY?

I had to look Reelfoot up on the map, I haven’t heard of it before. It’s right there in the corner of TN and MO along the Mississippi River.

Interesting stuff.

turd

Blackhawk
Never heard of Reelfoot Lake, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Sounds like quite a place. Legends of where the name came from and how it was formed, land speculators, night riders, quite a story. Would be a cool place to go.

As far as eagles, there were a lot of them that overwintered in and near Des Moines, IA when I lived there. Never could get close enough to take a picture like that one, tho. Beautiful shot, Bob.