Redhawk vs. Super Redhawk: Strength?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
RedHawk44 said:
Sweet.....what are the barrel lengths on these guns please?

110mm%20454%20%201.JPG

This one is 110 mm (4,33˝).

Short%20454%20%206.JPG

This one is 5,5˝ if I am not mistaken.

BTW, I think you can get front sight bases from them for this conversions (contact them http://www.armco-guns.com/ ), and do modification in USA. Shipping gun to Canada and back will be a nightmare, never mind transportation cost. Another option could be to buy it in Canada, modify and ship to USA. In that case you need paperwork and shipping in just one way.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
knuckles said:
T-GRIP?... DON'T GET ME STARTED AGAIN!!... my order is 3-Months old! :roll:

Did someone say T-Grip?

RedII.jpg

Bought mine from a forum member some time back, they are great!

captainkirk

PS I have had a super red - traded for a Redhawk and have not looked back.

Knuckles

Buckeye
captainkirk said:
knuckles said:
T-GRIP?... DON'T GET ME STARTED AGAIN!!... my order is 3-Months old! :roll:

Did someone say T-Grip?

RedII.jpg

Bought mine from a forum member some time back, they are great!

captainkirk

PS I have had a super red - traded for a Redhawk and have not looked back.

That's a great pic' it illustrates how the T-Grip looks on a 5.5" RH perfectly!

Stoots

Buckeye
I don't suppose anyone has a picture of a 5.5 Redhawk with the Hogues (not the smaller 'Bantams' that come on the 4 incher) on it do they?

:wink:

I found a few on Google images, but nothing real clear.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Here ya go Stoots!.. they ain't the best pics' but it'll give you an idea... not all are 5.5" but I liked the view better on the 7.5".
2222222222222222.jpg

1111111111111.jpg

333333333333333.jpg

444444444.jpg

c.r.

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
Yes, the .454 and .480 models are constructed of a stronger (more elastic) alloy to withstand the increased pressures without going to a five-shot cylinder. I reckon Ruger figured that from a manufacturing perspective, it was less expensive to go to an exotic alloy than to reengineer the action and tooling for a five-shot cylinder.

I thought the .480 was offered in a 5-shot? maybe a very limited number of them found their way out?

Or maybe that was just in the Alaskan?

captainkirk

Blackhawk
c.r. said:
CraigC said:
Yes, the .454 and .480 models are constructed of a stronger (more elastic) alloy to withstand the increased pressures without going to a five-shot cylinder. I reckon Ruger figured that from a manufacturing perspective, it was less expensive to go to an exotic alloy than to reengineer the action and tooling for a five-shot cylinder.

I thought the .480 was offered in a 5-shot? maybe a very limited number of them found their way out?

Or maybe that was just in the Alaskan?

Maybe around 25 or so Alaskans in 5-shot...

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
The question I would ask would be: what pressure is generated by the so-called +P+ .44 Magnum ammo. There's no SAAMI spec for that, so we really don't know what we are dealing with.

Enjoy.

:)

Not wanting to start a war of words either but bring this up for generating a bit more understanding ..........

There is so called +p+ .44 mag. loading ...... which as Alec-8(1) correctly points out ..... there is no SAMMII specifications available.

And there is the fact that RH's and SRH's have longer cylinders than most of their contemporary designs ...... they are not alone ...... but rather in somewhat "rarified air" if you will.

The length advantage is some .050" and though it sounds like peanuts ..... it's truely not.

The gold standard of .44 mags ...... the SBH ....... does not possess this advantage ....... the DA rugers possess it (RH & SRH).

There are more than a few cast bullets available with dual crimping grooves so as to take advantage of a longer than SAMMII cylinder (loading the rounds to longer than SAMMII gives one more boiler room inside the case).

I am not advocating loads over SAMMII nor condemning them ..... and the above poster is absolutely correct that one does not know what pressure your loads are when "going Rogue" ....... there is an undeniable fact ........

......... RH's and SRH's are built like tanks ...... more robust than the perennial SBH ........

So if one is so inclined, combining those useful dual crimping grooved bullets and a bit more pressure ........ gives one a formidable combination.

The ammo loaded thusly will not chamber in a conventional .44 such as a Smith & Wesson nor in the Ruger SBH ...... but for safety sake if you own any other .44 revos ........ I'd double check to make sure you could not inadvertantly fire them in a gun not intended to digest such specialized ammo.

Three 44s

Knuckles

Buckeye
I think the only real way to settle this is for a wealthy Ruger forum.com member to put the two guns side-by-side,...

... then gradually rev-up some rounds and the last gun to BLOW!........... is the BEST! :twisted:

Latest posts