Redhawk Hunter or so it should be named #5003

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's,
I just purchased a new Winchester 1892 Short in 44 Mag due in today at the LGS (10-26-2018). I have several lever 22's but no big bore rifles period. So I needed at least one, Love my 22's by the way. Anyway I also need a revolver to go with it. Really should be a single action and was thinking about the Blackhawk Hunter. Then I remembered that they also make it in a Redhawk Hunter model #5003. I have had two Blackhawks and really could never hit the side of a barn with them. On the other hand I use to have the 5.5" Redhawk and could easily hit a 3" plate at 25 yards free hand ( sold that gun to fund something else. So Stupid) I think it must be the lock up time allowing me to shot the Redhawk a whole lot better, but I do shoot my Single Six Hunter very well so who knows. I ordered the Redhawk yesterday from my LGS to go with the 1892. I did order the Hunter Model, should be in Tuesday 10-30-2018. Can't wait, Loved that Redhawk and wish I never sold it.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
jstanfield103 said:
Guy's,
I just purchased a new Winchester 1892 Short in 44 Mag due in today at the LGS (10-26-2018). I have several lever 22's but no big bore rifles period. So I needed at least one, Love my 22's by the way. Anyway I also need a revolver to go with it. Really should be a single action and was thinking about the Blackhawk Hunter. Then I remembered that they also make it in a Redhawk Hunter model #5003. I have had two Blackhawks and really could never hit the side of a barn with them. On the other hand I use to have the 5.5" Redhawk and could easily hit a 3" plate at 25 yards free hand ( sold that gun to fund something else. So Stupid) I think it must be the lock up time allowing me to shot the Redhawk a whole lot better, but I do shoot my Single Six Hunter very well so who knows. I ordered the Redhawk yesterday from my LGS to go with the 1892. I did order the Hunter Model, should be in Tuesday 10-30-2018. Can't wait, Loved that Redhawk and wish I never sold it.

You may have answered your own question. It may be that you group well with the Redhawk but not the Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, in which case probable cause traces to the hump of the double action grip affording your anatomy better FOLLOW THROUGH. Note: a shooter inconsistent with the Ruger single action grip may tighten up with a Pachmayr or other hand-filling grip.

Another possibility: perhaps you shoot tight with the Single Six by shooting with a relaxed grip, yet choke the grip on the magnum single action. If so, know this: one cannot strangle accuracy from a magnum sixgun.

Good fortune with the Redhawk Hunter; trust it compliments your shooting.
David Bradshaw

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
David,
Good advice. On my Single Six Hunter I had a set of older grips for it and really sanded them down as thin as I could. They are really pretty thin so that may have helped me also. I have fairly small hands and the thinner grips really help a lot. I also had a spare set of older Redhawk grips that I sanded down the same way waiting for this new Redhawk. I have mostly 22's which is my real Love in shooting, but decided that I needed a Bigger Bore rifle so I purchased this Redhawk and a new Winchester 1892 short in 44 Mag. Got the Winchester in today, what an absolutely beautifully built rifle. I believe these new Winchesters are built better than the old post 1964 models. The Browning plant in Japan as much as it hurts to say (them not being built in the USA ) does an outstanding job in build quality. Now can't wait to get the Redhawk in.