Redding T-7 Reloading press questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I posted in the other thread about turret presses and it either got lost--or ignored :lol: I'll try a separate thread...

I believe I'll be going with the Redding T-7 Turret. If I'm not mistaken, I can set up one for .32 long and .32 mag., another for .38 Special and .357 mag, another for .44 Special and .44 mag., right? I do like the ability to charge my cases as I've always done and still speed up the entire loading process.

My main question is this: Is the priming system on the T-7 really that much of a PITA as I've read on the interweeb? Should I buy separate T-7 priming tools dedicated for Lg and Sm primers? I have no problem priming using my Rockchucker and prefer it to the RCBS hand held unit.

Thanks...

KLNC

Single-Sixer
Yes, you can set up two sets of dies on each turret you have, but frankly, after doing that for a while, I found it easier for me to just unscrew the dies and put in another set rather than changing turrets. But maybe others find it more convenient to do it as you suggest.

I did not find the primer arrangement on the T-7 to be superior to my RCBS hand primer, so have never used it. I think it's probably slower, again personally.

The T-7 is a great press, and while I load much on my Dillon, the T-7 gets used for all kinds of things--can't say enough positive about it. A lifetime investment.

loaded round

Hunter
The priming system that comes with the T-7 press is a PIA to use, the same as any other turret or single station press. If you're going to load a lot of ammo, I'd suggest you get Redding's auto primer kit for your T-7 press. Price from Brownell's or Midway USA is around 55.00 bucks and well worth the money. I have one on my T-7 and love it.

jrtrapp1

Bearcat
I still use the old school priming arm on my lyman press and I do not understand why people complain about that kind of setup. Just grab a primer from the table and pop it in the cup while you are runnig the case through the sizing die press the arm into position and prime on the downstroke.

loaded round

Hunter
Basically what I don't like about the standard priming arm on a single stage or turret press is the handling of each primer. If your lubing and sizing rifle cases or using steel dies for pistol, you're taking a chance of contaminating your primers with the lube residue on your fingers. Also if you have large hands as I do, handling small rifle or pistol primers is a PIA. However, to each his own.

Chief 101

Hunter
I don't have a turret press, tho, I wish I did and the T-7 is a great press. I load small lots of ammo in many many different calibers, and, I load large lots periodically in a few pistol calibers so I would change turrets periodically and change dies only at others. A great platform for doing just that.
I use a separate bench mounted primer tool simply because it gives me great feel for seating and case health. I have used press mounted primer seaters but there is no feel for how tight the pocket is and how deep they are seated. I don't do any reloading while watching tv, I don't really watch much tv anyroads...

mikld

Blackhawk
FWIW; while I don't have a Redding turret press, I use a turret press and have installed a ram prime unit on some of my changeable turrets. So I have all my dies and an excellent priming system ready on one turret...

6gun

Hunter
I'd be awful temped to go with the Lyman for around $150 less it's a really good press also and the gray/black color is lots nicer than the ugly Redding green, for the $150 saving's going with the Lyman you could buy two extra turrets is what I'm thinking, still a real good press and more for your money.

6gun

Hunter
Try a RCBS universal hand primer and you will be a way happier camper. :mrgreen:

Cholo

Staff member
I'm working long hours this weekend and will address the replies when I have more time. Thanks for the info to chew on!

Jim Puke

Hunter
6gun said:
Try a RCBS universal hand primer and you will be a way happier camper. :mrgreen:

If you are talking about that hand primer...my latest (1 yr old) one is absolute junk.

Nothing about it is right and they will do nothing to make it right. The only thing they could do, is replace the whole unit...and they will not. I have had to make 2/3's of the parts fit, for it to work at all. Everything except the actual seating rods is out of spec...just junk. I even checked the box a second time to make sure "Lee" was not on there, somewhere.

6gun

Hunter
Jim Luke said:
6gun said:

If you are talking about that hand primer...my latest (1 yr old) one is absolute junk.

Nothing about it is right and they will do nothing to make it right. The only thing they could do, is replace the whole unit...and they will not. I have had to make 2/3's of the parts fit, for it to work at all. Everything except the actual seating rods is out of spec...just junk. I even checked the box a second time to make sure "Lee" was not on there, somewhere.

Well you know what your the first person I have ever heard complain about the RCBS priming tool, sure you were putting it together right? like my daddy use to say a good carpenter don't blame the tools. :lol:

Sounds like you didn't called RCBS or they would have replaced the complete unit if there were a problem, if I remember correctly your one of those Lee guys so no other brand works in your mind.

Jim Puke

Hunter
6gun said:
Jim Luke said:
6gun said:

Well you know what your the first person I have ever heard complain about the RCBS priming tool, sure you were putting it together right? like my daddy use to say a good carpenter don't blame the tools. :lol:

Sounds like you didn't called RCBS or they would have replaced the complete unit if there were a problem, if I remember correctly your one of those Lee guys so no other brand works in your mind.

Sounds like you have been drinking.

You have never seen me say that I was a LEE guy...and I imagine I have used a RCBS handprimer as much as you have. I know when they are out of spec, I know when I have to use a dremel to make the parts fit, I know when I have to use a clothes pin to keep the tray from falling apart and dumping primers everywhere and I know that as of this date, RCBS has not made this right.

You are free to believe what you like and as hard as it is for you to understand this, your belief, has absolutely no bearing on reality.

6gun

Hunter
6gun said:
Jim Luke said:
6gun said:

Sounds like you have been drinking.

You have never seen me say that I was a LEE guy...and I imagine I have used a RCBS handprimer as much as you have. I know when they are out of spec, I know when I have to use a dremel to make the parts fit, I know when I have to use a clothes pin to keep the tray from falling apart and dumping primers everywhere and I know that as of this date, RCBS has not made this right.

You are free to believe what you like and as hard as it is for you to understand this, your belief, has absolutely no bearing on reality.

I have 2 RCBS universal hand primers one each for large and small primers, both work flawlessly and are in perfect condition I put mine together correctly didn't try to make pieces fit where they didn't go, lots easier to assemble them when your not drunk and stoned like you no doubt were when you tried to assemble yours with a Dermal while in your delusional state imagining you have used a RCBS primer tool as much as I have when you can't even put the tray on right.

My advice is stay sober if your going to work with reloading equipment. :wink:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jim Luke said:

Hi,

Jim, silly question, but is the RCBS tool still US made? You're NOT the first person I've seen who's had problems with recent (last 2-3 yrs?) models. Makes me wonder if they went offshore or something.

Rick C

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Rick
I have heard that RCBS is made off shore for a couple of years now.
I know some guys that have gotten Dies that were way out of spec.

Latest posts