Red recoil pads on #1s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

captainkirk

Blackhawk
They do indicate an older vintage, but the one on my 458 is pretty hard...

I think it is slowly turning from "pad" to "plate".

I'm sure Pat Boone misses those shoes too.
booneshoes.jpg

captainkirk

pete44ru

Hunter
Yes, red pads are desireable because they indicate that the rifle they're on is what's REALLY desireable, AND unmodified.

No one buys a Jack Daniels BOTTLE............... It's what goes with it that they're buying. :mrgreen:

picketpin

Buckeye
Mostly it indicates I can buy them and put them on the shelf without the rest of the "Girls" kicking them off onto the floor? ;-)

Red pads were discontinued in roughly 1993.

There are actually 4 "Red Pads" The original from the 1967-1969 into the early 130 Serial range were made is a bit thinner and has nicley rounded edges and mounts to you shoulder nicely.

In the mid 70s it was changed to a sligthtly thicker pad with square edges.
There are actually two pads used in this era. One I refer to as the "Red" pad this pad is red. The other was slightly softer with a slightly different "Eagle." IThis pad is what "I" at least refer to as the "Pink" pad. It is a decidedly lighter in color. Most seem to be on early 131 rfles.

The fourth "Red" pad was used for about 6 months in 1977. That pad was shaped like the original but had a mottled/pebbled surface and was made by Pachmayer.

After that they went back to the "Red" pad with the square edges until they switched to the black pad.

As stated some general information regarding age can be determined by the pad and as a general rule, early #1s are more collectable/desirable than newer ones, to some of us. ;-)

the best

Ross

I thought they were just on there to keep you from chipping the wood on the butt stock. It never occured to me they actually thought they were "Recoil" pads. AT best they might be considered "anti slip" pads???
:)