Red Label Choke Tubes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Elwood

Bearcat
Folks, I need a little help. I recently traded for a used 20 guage Red Label, SN 400 - xxxxx and need a choke tube wrench. It came with two chokes in the barrels and two extra chokes..a skeet and a full. I'm guessing the ones in the barrels are IMP and MOD but have no idea which choke is in which tube. I know that a Remington choke tube wrench won't fit these chokes...will another brand work? I don't believe the current manufactured chokes from Ruger will work in this gun..correct? Who makes a choke tube that will fit this gun? Any help with this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Elwood

mattsbox99

Hunter
Any universal wrench will work, so will a screwdriver, or they might not even be that tight and you can get them out with your fingers. I never tighten mine to the point of needing a wrench.

Are your extra chokes 2.5" long stainless with 4 notches or 1.5" long blued with 2 notches?

Elwood

Bearcat
Mine are too tight to remove with my fingers....

The extra chokes are 2" long (total length from top to bottom) with 4 notches and appear to be stainless. Same length as a Remington 20 gauge choke but the threads aren't the same...and the notches aren't at the same place.

This wrench says it's universal...will it likely work? Seems cheap enough.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=678490

Also, who makes chokes that will fit.

Thanks again.

Elwood

mattsbox99

Hunter
Briley makes the chokes for Ruger, their wrench fits but is a little costly.

That wrench from Carlsons will work just fine, but you don't need to buy one, just about any thin piece of metal that will bridge the bore will work just fine. I just use a straight blade screwdriver if mine get too tight.

smitty_bs

Bearcat
I just had this same issue with an RL 20 gauge. I bought the Browing Wrench for 9.99 from Cabela's but it is also available in a bunch of other stores/catalogs. It works for several gauges and also different brands.

I was leary at first, but it works fine.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Elwood,

The 400-prefix Red Labels use the older style Winchester chokes, except for the Sporting Clays models (which are compatable with the newer Briley chokes).

The stainless chokes (with the 4 equally spaced notches) are usually Briley or aftermarket. When checking aftermarket choke manufacturer websites, look for an acronym "SC" or serial number designations "401 and subsequent" or "manufactured after 1993." Here's a few sites to get you started and their designation for your style chokes.

www.briley.com "Ruger Sporting Chokes"
www.choketube.com (Carlson's) "1993"
www.trulockchokes.com "POST 1992" and "SC"

Ted

Elwood

Bearcat
Went to a local gun shop this morning and they had a "Hastings" choke wrench that worked perfect. As I supected, the chokes in the gun were IMP and MOD....all I need to do is find another Skeet and I'll be in business.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Elwood

Latest posts