Red dot on a RAP 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

James

Bearcat
I'm pretty sure i have mentioned i wasn't that fond of the rear sight on the new Ruger American 45 i just got so i was thinking of trying one of the mini red dots on it. Being fairly new on the market there really are few 3rd party parts for it so finding a way to mount the thing was a problem. My gun smith tried for a couple of weeks to find someone who sold a mount for it, but was having little success. Finally he took a Novac mount and made it fit. Picked it up from him yesterday and will go to the range this afternoon to see how it will work. He did a quick bore sight on it, but i know it will take a few rounds to get it on target.

With just a little trim work it fits right into my IWB Alien Gear holster and it fits very nice and plenty snug enough i won't have to worry about it falling out if i have to move around a bit. Here is what it looks like in the holster and second pic is what it looks like out side of the holster. Hopefully with practice it will be a little faster on target than standard sights. The sight is a Burris FastFire III.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7ly9vaphqvr77w/img1.JPG?dl=0

Sorry about the extra steps to see the pic, but my new cloud does things a different way than i am used to. Just click on the OPEN and it will show you the pic. The server isn't in the US so it takes a few seconds for the picture to come up, hang in there.

Ok, back from the range, took me a while to get the windage and elevation set on the red dot, but finally got it close, had to quit cause man was closing up for the day, will go back later and finish zeroing it in. So far i really like it. Shot about 30 rounds with it and have gotten used to getting the dot on target, that took a while, but now it is pretty quick. Actually i like it better than the standard sights and it seems faster. Hopefully with more practice it will work out for me.

James

Bearcat
Sorry guys something went wrong at my picture sight, have replaced it with one that works. If you want to see the pictures go back to original message and click on the url there.

s4s4u

Hunter
Looks good. I have a similar sight on a 1911. With a bit of practice it will become natural.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
A little late to tell you this but Burris now lists a Fastfire mount specifically for the Ruger American. The same mount also works with the Vortex Venom and Viper red dots.

James

Bearcat
A little late for the American, but if i continue to like the red dot i have a Ruger SR40 that i might also think about installing one on. Thanks for the info i will check into it.