Recoil Spring Plug?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum

Don't know but Ruger will likely send you one for free.

I'd call, ask if I can buy one.

Welcome to the forum,,,,now the test is that YOU must assume gunsmith position Number 2, on your hands and knees and back track the direction the gun was pointed, you lost it, you find it, unless you were outdoors or in a boat out on open water, you will find it...Good luck:cool:
...and yes most cases the recoil spring plugs are the same, mil specs interchange..;)

...and in the future, many of those you will see/find, a divot ( dimple) on the inside up near the front end, this is to actually "hook onto and catch" the open coil end of the spring and hold it ON ,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Reactions: ned

Snake45

Hawkeye
You Can Use A Fired Empty 45 ACP Case For A Plug Till You Get One. So I've Been Told. John M Browning Was A Very SMART Man.
This. As long as the gun doesn't have a full length guide, which is why some people don't like them.

key words..."in my shop..." that means it did NOT go far, and noi ,sorry they do NOT evaporate, if you did not hear anything hit anywhere that a distinct sound would have been made, and look in that general 'area' it may have landed on something 'soft" and rolled back behind it....believe me , it's there...harder yet is to try and find a small spring that goes off in the distance, and they do NOT make any noise.......reminds me of my early gunsmithing, (apprentice??)days, and the term "Jesus clips"....long story:unsure:;)
...then there is always the u shaped magnet on the end of a long stick.......:cool::rolleyes:

loaded round

Hunter
For all practical purposes all recoil spring plugs are the same. Any difference is either blued steel or SS. HOWEVER, some recoil spring plugs are open ended to fit a full length recoil rod. So your lost pug is either blued , ss, . open, or closed end. Ruger should have the part in stock or try Brownell's or Midway. Buy two, ask me why?

Last edited:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I found a SKS spring on top of a cabinet that went within 2 inches of the ceiling about 4 years after I lost it.
Really buried in dust by then. :eek:

jav

Single-Sixer
I did the same thing in the garage but I did found it about 2 hours later got lucky lesson learned never apply it with greasy hands

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Although mostly used for taking down match grade 1911's with tight bushings, a quality 1911 wrench will prevent the flyers. I know many an armorer who launched them, especially when cleaning dozens at a time with CLP drenched fingers.....

Well …. Here is the end of my recoil spring story. After looking everywhere I could think of throughout my shop, I ordered a couple of recoil spring plugs from the factory. Received the shipment and was back on the range in 6 days.
Three weeks later … I am rebuilding an old motorcycle …. Reached to my workbench to grab a magnetic parts tray … and there it was, stuck to the bottom of the magnetic tray.
It's 8 to 10 feet from my "gun bench" to my "workbench". I now wipe the oil off of my thumb when field stripping a 1911.
Lesson learned. 😂😂😂

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
This will probably be for a different thread, but had a similar experience today. First time shooting a walther model 4. The bullet and the barrel shroud both made it to the end of the indoor range on the first shot. Luckily no other shooters were present, so recovery was simple. Now, had I been outside….

Latest posts