Recognizing Refinished Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Axehandle, Overall, I would go with the "feeling" that the gun has been refinished but as Rugerguy pointed out, given the bad polishing jobs I have seen from Ruger, along with possible holster wear on the sights, it "could" amount to a crapshoot in the final analysis!..................Dick :wink:

Axehandle

Buckeye
You boys just sit back and wait.... A cylinder and sight blade change and you won't recognize it as the same gun!

I hope everyone is enjoying this thread as much as I am... It has been a good look into the guts of evaluating an old Ruger.... Just blind luck but don't know if there could have been a better example than a late production OM Brassie SBH to illustrate the objective and subjective criteria of refinish/original...

P.S. Robb will be waiting a LONG time to get this one back... He'll be wanting my 10 inch FT 357 next... :p

Nah, I don't want your 10 OM 357 FT. That is why you ended up with this one we're talking about. I figured it was better to get it to someone who would appreciate it for what it is and it's scarcity rather than me do a chop shop job and make another clustered up mess of a custom like my other ones. :wink:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Sure Robb.. You say that now... :shock: Give it a few days.. Bill is sending me a "right" cylinder.... The other stuff is easily explained away... :p

Axehandle

Buckeye
Hey... You know me.... I have a sense of humor... :D
I am still laughing about my 500L Reeder African Hunter being found on a conveyor belt in Atlanta.... The Postal Inspector contacted Reeder.... Reeder posted it on his web site looking for the owner.... :D

Seriously though Robb... Flipping through this thread it is easy to see that there is an unreal amount of subjectivity in the evaluation of these things.. Rookies like us are just hacking our way through! Wait until that new cylinder arrives... I'll wait a few months and post it like a new gun... These old graybeards won't know the diffeerence and I'll get a whole new assessment! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Axehandle

Buckeye
Bill Hamm had the cylinder it needed... Just about .010 oversize... Took no more than a little light stoning to get it in...
0082.jpg

003.jpg

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Nice restoration, Axe! There's nothing like a successful group effort with an audience watching.

Latest posts