Recognizing Refinished Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
weaselmeatgravy":z9u99sqv said:
So it tells you nothing about re-bluing.

I agree and that's what I said.......or tried to say.

The polishing on the lower cylinder frame surface is inconsistent and therefore most likely not original, eh?

flatgate

americal

Hunter
OK--YOU GUYS tickle me :lol: ya''ll know so much about Ruger"s you can get yourself & esp. ME the novice confused great learning for me as you went back & forth KEEP IT UP__BEST FORUM ON RUGERS IN WORLD YES I SAID THE WORLD :)

Axehandle

Buckeye
Eaxctly! The only purpose for the thread... Ruger lettered the gun as a S47B. I hate that it has so many refinish indications and the wrong cylinder but I am not looking to buy since it is already mine and it is not for sale.... Just looking to get the old heads to share some knowledge! :p

flattop44

Buckeye
Being an admirer of the OM Supers I find this to be an interesting thread. I have had a bunch of them and will have to go along with Rugerguy, (who has handled probably more than we can count) you need to have the gun in hand to really pass judgment. The cylinder appears to be a NM replacement which would lead you to ask why?? Flatgate's observation on the rear sight is noteworthy and puzzling? Hammer tarnish doesn't seem to match the rest of the gun but if someone who handled it had acidic hands who knows? The recoil shield looks good and the polishing in front of the trigger guard looks like what I have observed on other brass frame Supers. I have seen others with small flaws in that area that were polished and blued over too. I have also seen missing legs on the ".44" on other brass and late steel frame guns just like this one....I have a brass frame in my possession now that exhibits the exact same look and I believe it to be all original. We must remember, most of these late Supers were really polished. I have seen the letters, numbers and screw holes "pulled" on what I believe were completely original guns. In years past I bought a couple of them NIB from dealers that exhibited some of those over-zealous polishing results. I might add that in later years I have also found some really good deals on Supers advertised as "reblued" that in my opinion were 100% original!! ;))
Anyway, its a pretty gun either way. For what its worth, I personally would not jump to a firm conclusion on the gun at this point without handling it (except the cylinder being wrong). Of course, all of this is JMHO!!
Ft44

Cholo

Staff member
"On my camera it is on the ring on the back... Says "MF" and has a little flower image beside it. When selected the camera will auto focus when held much closer.." Axehandle

Thanks! Mine is the same. I definitely have to give that a try while taking gun pics.

I thought the "MF" was what I'd press and scream if I ever deleted all my pics by accident :wink:

Flatgate brought up a good point and the fact that it letters as a 'brassie. makes the under neath proper being its 'blued" ( they could NOT blue the gun with the frame attached ,like they "usually" did the all steel frames, all together, as a "unit" thus it would NOT be blued underneath, except for the oittle bit that would "leech" under the "joint".....as we all agree ,it really is the issue of that cylinder, being added?? (replaced)?? but pour quos (sic) sorry BigBore.....as we all can see, OBVIOUSLY, the polishing of this cylinder is completely 'wrong'....all in all still a NICE gun, we like it and if it was mine, I'd keep an eye out for an "original" old model Super cylinder for it, it can be polished to "match"..........

flattop44

Buckeye
Axehandle, wish I could have seen it. Maybe the next show, just have to check out the date. I may even have a correct cylinder for it!
FT44

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
weaselmeatgravy":2k3c8ay5 said:
flatgate":2k3c8ay5 said:
I agree and that's what I said.......or tried to say.

Sorry flatgate, I wasn't arguing with your post, I hadn't even seen it. I was responding to EarlFH's post without even realizing the topic had already lopped over to page 2.

WMG,
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was refering to the blueing on the INSIDE of the CYLINDER frame, not under the grip frame. I'm still not clear whether I quoted Flatgate correctly.
EarlFH

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Most of the Supers that I have are kind of washed out on the left side lettering on the cylinder frame. Generally the Words Super Blackhawk look washed out in the center and ok on the ends. I have seen this on many supers that I know to not be reblued guns. I have picked up a few that were sold to me as Reblued because of this. :?

radicalrod

Hunter
Heck I think it is just a nice late High polished Super.....heck it was only a HUNDRED plus dollar new gun when it was made......seems to me the inside of the cylinder frame tells the story......kinda hard to redip and not get any in here.....most of these have dished screw holes and other evidence of a little over exuberance on the wheel.....they sure made'm shiny.....me I think it is right......but heck most say I'm not right....see ya RR.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Let's see if we find a correct cylinder for it.... That rear sight blade should be easy too...... Then we'll see what it looks like! :p

drdirt123

Bearcat
Great thread and I wish I'd seen it a couple days ago. A 1970 SBH, no brass, came home with me today, priced as a reblue, but I'm wondering. Great pics! All the comments everyone has made, I'm able to compare easily with your pics. The breech pic from the bottom of page 1, typical of an original or reblue? Great thread!

Brian

yessir, that breach face picture tells us a LOT>...as I said, the only thing definitely "wrong", is that cylinder, and flatop44s 'offer' sounds like a 'hit" to me, he's great folks to deal with, besides, I TRUST him............

Axehandle

Buckeye
If this gun could only talk..... I'd bet that the cylinder got a serious cosmetic scar somewhere along the way and some well intentioned gunsmith made it pretty again... Even attempted to buff the cylinder to match....