Ready for speed goats...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
20231008_130023.jpg

I used a 30/06 exclusively for many years. UNTIL, I found other options. Nothing wrong with the 06 and if I were headed for a place where I'd be stuck long term w/o resupply and the need to address any situation I might encounter, the 30/06 would be at the top of my list.
At present (and most likely forever), I simply can't handle the recoil of the 06 and have to compromise with a more 'efficient' cartridge.

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
Mobuck, I can relate to where you're coming from. The thirties and up are starting to get my shoulders' attention.
I've used a .257 Bob and 7x57 and still have a .25-06 and .257 Wby that haven't been blooded.

Paul B

Hunter
I used a 30/06 exclusively for many years. UNTIL, I found other options. Nothing wrong with the 06 and if I were headed for a place where I'd be stuck long term w/o resupply and the need to address any situation I might encounter, the 30/06 would be at the top of my list.
At present (and most likely forever), I simply can't handle the recoil of the 06 and have to compromise with a more 'efficient' cartridge.
I haven't found the recoil of the 30-06 to be all that offensive yet. But then, I'm, only 85 years young. Seriously I've never really been all that bothered by a rifle's kick until recently The .375 H&H in in semiretirement and the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby are fully retired. I still can do limited shooting with a .300 Win. Mag but the days of running a box or three of ammo are long gone. BTW, every cartridge mentioned are my Ruger #1s.
I have been doing a lot of work with the 7x57 but when it comes to hunting it been a very unluck cartrdge for me. I've only lost two deer in my lifetime and both were shot with a 7x57. When I had my bad car wrck I was on my way to the randge to double check the sights one a 7x57 and .35 Wheleln proir to leaving for an elk hunt two days later. Four days in hospital and lose not only the hunt but my deposit. Could that cartridge be a jinx or just bad luck? Maybe both.
Paul B.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
That is a beautiful rifle and I wish you luck in your hunt. I am a tried and true 30 cal shooter and reloader. I have a nice walnut Rem 700 BDL with a Leupold scope that came with it in the seventies. I never shoot it anymore. I have been in love with 3030 lever guns and they have never disappointed me at any distance I might feel threatened. Recoil from the '06 is not fun but the 3030 makes me smile after every shot. I also carry and reload 7.62x25.

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I haven't found the recoil of the 30-06 to be all that offensive yet. But then, I'm, only 85 years young. Seriously I've never really been all that bothered by a rifle's kick until recently The .375 H&H in in semiretirement and the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby are fully retired. I still can do limited shooting with a .300 Win. Mag but the days of running a box or three of ammo are long gone. BTW, every cartridge mentioned are my Ruger #1s.
I have been doing a lot of work with the 7x57 but when it comes to hunting it been a very unluck cartrdge for me. I've only lost two deer in my lifetime and both were shot with a 7x57. When I had my bad car wrck I was on my way to the randge to double check the sights one a 7x57 and .35 Wheleln proir to leaving for an elk hunt two days later. Four days in hospital and lose not only the hunt but my deposit. Could that cartridge be a jinx or just bad luck? Maybe both.
Paul B.
Just bad Luck

Hankus

Blackhawk
I took my first dozen or so deer (in Florida) with my dads old Winchester'94 in 30-30. Back around 1985 I picked up a Remington 788 in .308 for a really good price and have taken dozens more all across the country with it, and it's STILL my go-to rifle for deer and hogs. I've upgraded the optics a couple times over the decades. I'm getting ready to head up to GA next month with my Super Redhawk in .454 Casull to try my hand at handgun hunting.

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
Well, I wish I had a glory photo of a monster goat, but alas, tis none. Was a disappointing weekend. I have not seen so few critters in many years. A total of less than a dozen today and none of them where we had permission. And we have permission on over fifteen sections.
Son-in-laws fancy watch said we walked over five miles and climbed the equivalent of twenty stories today, though I think one of his stories was through levitation when he almost stepped on a rattlesnake.