Re-barrel MKIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jensen305

Bearcat
I have a MKIII Hunter SS that had a stuck bullet in the barrel and did not know it and fire another round. It can out but there is now a "ring" in the last 1 inch of the barrel. Does not group anymore. Ruger says it is junk and they can re-barrel it. Would not give me an estimate of price until I send it in. What are your thougts?

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
How long is the barrel? If it's a bull barrel you might consider having a machine shop cut the barrel just behind the bulge and recrown it.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
mjpchief said:
How long is the barrel? If it's a bull barrel you might consider having a machine shop cut the barrel just behind the bulge and recrown it.

This is what I would do also - With one exception

While you are talking with your smith...see if rather than just cutting it down....cut it and have it threaded with a cap for just a bit more money. This way your little mishap will be an actual enhancement rather than detriment to most folks in the gun buying market. This should not cost a crazy amount of money being that the gun is stainless and wouldn't need a refinish.

I am thinking $50 would be what a Chattanooga smith would charge to cut and crown....maybe $20 more to thread it. Your mileage may vary.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Oh wait....The hunter model has the fluted barrel right? If the bulge is on the thread then you may be right....The trip to ruger could be the cheapest way.

jensen305

Bearcat
Yes it is Fluted. I am weighing options. Send back to Ruger or buy a Tactial Solutions or Volquartsen barrel. To send into Ruger you have 40.00 postage BOTH ways, labor (about 35.00). Then the price of the barrel (guess is 100. or so) for a total of about 225.00 OUCH!!!!! or trade it in on a unsuspecting dealer (damn a consience).

you can also have the barrel "relined"........there are a few shops tha 'specialize' in this, just another 'option' and YOU gotta weigh the pricing for total on ALL of the options...the only one I'd rule out is cutting the barrel back, as the fluted barrels would look like 'crap'.........BUT even then, there ae guys out there who are "wizards" at welding and reforming ANY metal ................sooo
and NO..... do not pass it off to some un suspecting person at a gun show, that ain't "kosher".........

jensen305

Bearcat
I believe Ruger just re-lines the stainless outer slide. I think the pull the steel inside barrrel out and repress a new one in. I "Think". I may just upgrade and get a volquartsen at 270.00. I am in a loose loose situation

recumbent

Buckeye
there is no liner in a ruger barrel.

I would either have Ruger replace the barrel or have VQ or Clark custom replace it.

I had a Tactical solutions barrel/receiver IMHO they are over priced for what you get.

Bob