RCBS Summit Press ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In looking for a cheaper single stage press, I came across this. It's the RCBS Summit Press. It looks like the case is stationary and the die moves up and down on the case.

Is this a better way? Or did RCBS just want something different? It says it has a "Massive 2" Diameter Ram."

I have the RCBS turret press, which after years and years of use, is still going strong and a joy to use.

Does anyone have one of these Summit Presses?

https://www.rcbs.com/presses/single-stage/summit-single-stage-reloading-press/16-9290.html

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Wow ,nobody here has one ? I can vouch for rcbs as a company . And I have an early single stage Jr which has loaded a lot of ammo , never any issues .look for reviews on u tube I bet there are some .😉

Wow ,nobody here has one ? I can vouch for rcbs as a company . And I have an early single stage Jr which has loaded a lot of ammo , never any issues .look for reviews on u tube I bet there are some .😉
Yes, I did see some. I'm not interested in buying one. I was just curious about the style.

I do see that because of the design, it doesn't have to be mounted at the edge of the workbench. You can mount it in the middle of a table if you want.

I do wonder if it's smoother than a "regular" style single stage press.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
Yes, I did see some. I'm not interested in buying one. I was just curious about the style.

I do see that because of the design, it doesn't have to be mounted at the edge of the workbench. You can mount it in the middle of a table if you want.

I do wonder if it's smoother than a "regular" style single stage press.
I do have one, I have had it for 5 years and have used it exclusively for sizing ,it replaced my bonanza co ax.It is very easy to use . A member here thought it had a design flaw,namely a tiny bit of side play in the die holder, but the self aligning of die to case has been a complaint in search of a problem as far as I'm concerned. It's very smooth and powerful. Thousands of cases later I still love it.

Enigma

Hunter
My understanding is that this design has been tried by other manufacturers years ago, and it flopped. I don't recall the specifics, but spending some time querying Google would probably yield some info.

In looking for a cheaper single stage press, I came across this. It's the RCBS Summit Press. It looks like the case is stationary and the die moves up and down on the case.

Is this a better way? Or did RCBS just want something different? It says it has a "Massive 2" Diameter Ram."

I have the RCBS turret press, which after years and years of use, is still going strong and a joy to use.

https://www.rcbs.com/presses/single-stage/summit-single-stage-reloading-press/16-9290.html
I have a Summit press and love it. I bought it when I started loading 450/400 3" N.E, my old Lyman Spar-T didn't have a big enough opening to put a case with a bullet sitting on top to seat. The Summit is very strong and smooth to operate. My only dislike is I have my loading bench at table top height, 30", so I can sit on a chair and I have my other presses, Spar-T and Rockchucker, set up so I lift up on the handle to move the ram up. The Summit can only be used with the handle so you pull down to move the die down.

I wish I would have gotten the more basic Lee 4 position turret press. The Load master can be a royal pain to get set up. I can't complain too much. I got it second or third hand. A few things didn't seem to be working. I sent it to Lee and they completely rebuilt it no questions asked. The only thing it needs to run great is an extra sizing die without the pin at the priming station to stabilize the case. I look at the Dillons every now and then but the Lee's get the job done. Kinda like my KLR 650. It does everything I need a motorcycle to do. I think any of the O Frame presses would be more stable and stronger without all of the lateral issues you can have with one of these. It is nice to have the open front design and as long as you aren't doing anything like Full Length Resizing the big Belted Magnum rounds should be fine with the little Lee as well for under $100. I've probably done a few thousand with the little Lee and the Lee hand press. Tens of Thousands on the Load master. If you are looking at Single Stage presses I see no advantage to any as long as they are strong enough for the application. If I had the Progressive thing to do over again I would have gone with a Dillon but with a little more work can get just as good rounds out of my Lee.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
At that price,, I wouldn't call it a "cheaper" press. Many is the simple Rock Chucker press that can be had for less money,, especially if you shop around.
And unless you are stuck on RCBS,, as noted,, there are other alternative presses available. Heck, I may know where a few can be had.

But as to the design. Never used one,, but I can see the potential benefits if you wanted a press to do heavy duty sizing or even swaging. But as noted,, alignment can be something that some may feel a potential issue. But if it's been properly built,, alignment should not be an issue.

Just my observations without any actual experience.

I have one. It is a solid super strong stable press. you described the action correctly. It will load tall rounds easily. RCBS also sells a short actuating handle which is adequate for operations short of sizing large cases. It does go for less than a rock chucker but it is not as low as a lee changer. It does have a massive 2" column which is stationary and serves as the support and sliding surface for the die platform which is what moves there is a grease fitting on the moving platform. Lee would say it is over built. I think the inertia of the other more common designs is what keeps it from being more popular they work well so why change?

You didn't really mention what you would be using this for. Full length sizing 50bmg or 9mm. The open front design is a big advantage for case, bullet handling etc. It definitely looks solid and isn't horribly expensive. It's way bigger and heavier than most. Which may or may not be a benefit. If I do manage to bust my little Lee I would probably have a new one within a week.

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_183130694.jpg
    IMG_20230806_183130694.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 63

Greenjoytj

Bearcat
I remember reading about the RCBS Summit press when it first came to market.
I remember reading about a particular press operation that either couldn't be done or was difficult to do on this press due to the linkage arms being beside the die body.
I use a standard "O" press a LEE Classic Cast.
LEE make some less expensive aluminum presses that could load most cases.

Johnnu2

Hunter
"Cheaper" for me is $75.....
Bought a used Rock Chucker for that at a swap meet......... gave it to a guy who needed it and went back to my RCBS, Jr.

IMHO,
J.

"Cheaper" for me is $75.....
Bought a used Rock Chucker for that at a swap meet......... gave it to a guy who needed it and went back to my RCBS, Jr.

IMHO,
J.
@Johnnu2 : On this I agree. I think the prices for (new) single stage presses are far far too much. Originally I thought I could find a new RCBS single stage for right around $100. Wow was I wrong! Unbelievable.

Seabeeken

Bearcat
I've seen several pictures of Summit presses broken. Dont know what they were doing with them at the time but the castings were broken. I've also seen more than a few Lee aluminum presses broken. My Redding, RCBS, and Forster presses have never given me a problem

ericbc7

Bearcat
I have one and of my several presses I like it for reloading away from my bench. It's not really portable since it is quite heavy, but with the short handle, it works on a table top because nothing protrudes below the base. It's a decent press.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I've seen several pictures of Summit presses broken. Dont know what they were doing with them at the time but the castings were broken. I've also seen more than a few Lee aluminum presses broken. My Redding, RCBS, and Forster presses have never given me a problem

I witnessed an arm wrestling match where a competitor broke his own arm...his skeletal integrity did not hold up to his muscular power.
Failures of the Summit press are a testament to the enormous power of the mechanism being misapplied.
A documented failure describes an attempt to set the shoulder back on a case with a die that was too long to do so. The press is designed to "cam over" at the end of the stroke. If the die is set too low,and it contacts the shell holder,not allowing the cam over,the down stroke power is huge,and failure ensues. The instructions describe how to set the die,heed them.

Seabeeken

Bearcat
I witnessed an arm wrestling match where a competitor broke his own arm...his skeletal integrity did not hold up to his muscular power.
Failures of the Summit press are a testament to the enormous power of the mechanism being misapplied.
A documented failure describes an attempt to set the shoulder back on a case with a die that was too long to do so. The press is designed to "cam over" at the end of the stroke. If the die is set too low,and it contacts the shell holder,not allowing the cam over,the down stroke power is huge,and failure ensues. The instructions describe how to set the die,heed them.
I understand the workings after 50 yrs of handloading with several presses. My point was simply to point out a failure, whatever the cause. I have never seen a rockchucker fail and i deal with forming many wildcats on O presses.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I understand the workings after 50 yrs of handloading with several presses. My point was simply to point out a failure, whatever the cause. I have never seen a rockchucker fail and i deal with forming many wildcats on O presses.
Most likely the new presses are lesser quality than the vintage ones ..... Like many things made today ...😐.

Latest posts