"rarest of the rare" Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Ruger1nut,

I agree the the Lipsey's .25-06 AH is a very handsome rifle! A friend of mine managed to snag one cheap and of course had to run right over to my house to show it to me. It is nicely balanced in the hands, and has a very nice visual balance as well. I don't understand why more aren't made in 257R, 7X57, 270, 280, 30-06, etc. I know I'd have to own one or two depending on what calibers are available. (I think they'd look great with vertically split rings on them too!)

I know that the vertically split rings are a pain to get mounted on a rifle. It took several attempts before I got everything just the way I wanted it on my .280 -- but they do look great.

I'm not in the market for any vertically split rings at this very moment, but I do need at least one pair and could legitimately put two sets to appropriate use....maybe after I get back from my next OCONUS trip.

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
!Nut: If your in the verrtical ring "selling" market" let me know.

The single biggest "problem" I run into right now with non prefix rifles is early non prefixes that somebody has snatched the vertical rings off of, some time in theiir life and replaced with new production horizointal rings.

Sort of like all the 50s and 60s S&Ws coming on market right now without the correct grips. Sadly they don't even bother to clean them up and you can see the dust line where the old/correct grips sat for 30-50 years. Then they want full blown price as f the gun still wore the correct numbered, vintage grips for the gun. Which are going to cost $200 - $300 to run down a set and it still won't be "Correct". Right now it's my biggest Rosie O'Donnell in the gun market.

Looks like somebody wants that refinished 243 more than I do. ;-) While interesting, needing to use my last set of non prefix wood to get it factory would be a bummer. I've got one bid left on the "chart" but not sure I'll bother.

A guy finds a LOT of stuff on the web he would never see. On the other hand the "bargains" like the BH are usually from some guy that talked to some guy that has a cousin that sold me a rifle 13 years ago and...........

The BH is from a guy that works with a guy that sold me a 7mm Mag "V" at a decent price a few years back. Co worker was bitching at lunch that the local shop didn't want to give him anything for it. He says, Hey, I dealt with this guy over in Idaho..... Guy calls, tells me what he has and I call the factory the next day to confirm. Call him back and ask what he wants and explain it is fairly rare and he names his price and I RUN out to the post office and get a postal MO off. It left Hermiston, OR this morning and will be delivered to my FFL tomarrow and I'll be sitting there waiting for it. :) Price was "fair" to all involved.

I try real hard to not overspend just because it's on the net. I already have 3 non prefix 243s so spendig too much for the not correct BBB isn't going to happen, even if it's interesting and something I don't have.

Hell, there are lots of things I don't have. ;-(

Seriously, and not to poach on Dave but if you have a set,, or more you would consider/ LIKE to sell drop me a line at [email protected].
I have a coule early 1967 -1968 non prefix #1s that probably left the factory with them. That the 1969s and the 1975 non prefix don't have them doesn't bother me because best guess is they never did. :)

the best to all

Ross

The big search is still for a medium caliber BHB I could hunt with. :)

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Ross,

You won't be poaching the rings if you want them -- I too need a couple of sets, but am really cash poor at the moment.

However -- Hermiston is in my back yard......

Hopefully there will be something interesting at the gun show this Saturday.

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
Dave: Oops ;-O This one sort of started in Caldwell with the 270 "B" the guy tried to drill a stuck bullet out of. The 7mm Mag was his brother in-law in Hemisrton and that led to the co-worker years later with the BH. a Guy never knows when where this stuff is going to turn up.

I really try hard to be fair in dealing with guys on guns. It may be years later but it invariably comes back to you on the plus side. I have a West Germain 240 Weaterby. I bought the .224 off a guy about 20 years ago, at a fair price. He died 6 years ago. The wife went through his papers, found the reciept for the .224 and called me. I drove there and paid her a fair price for the .240. Why call me? Because every time the subject came up he said "If you need to sell anything of mine, call that guy in Idaho, he won't cheat you and he'll be honest with you on the actual value." At the time it was the only gun she showed me. She died two years ago. I got a letter from the married daughter. Could you drive up and tell me what I have and what they are worth?? Sure. The guy had nice guns. MOre than he or the wife ever mentioned to be sure. There wasn't much that "fit" for me but I did by a custom Sako in 17-222. I also made some phone calls to the guys I knew were into the stuff she still had. It all sold, without an add or going local or exsposing her to cheaters etc. She offered me a % of the total which I declined. I figure some day the grandkid will call and say, I have this gun and was wondering...............

Karma. ;-)

The best

Ross

You headed out again??? Oh, where's the show? I'm getting cabin feaver real bad and if Ladd Canyon is open I might be able to drift that way with Cousin Wayne along to ride shotgun.

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Ross,

I'm of course teasing about the Hermiston thing -- it is unlikely they'd ever find me anyway! Glad you were able to land one that you wanted. Someday you can show it to me when I am passing through Idaho.....

Dave

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
Ross,

I don't yet know if I am headed out, there is a slight chance for a trip to Azerbaijan in late February or early March. There seems to be some flexibility in the dates at the moment and I have a conflict for the February dates so if it slides into March.....

The gun show is at the TRAC in Pasco, WA Sat & Sun. It is generally a fairly small show, but the last couple have actually had a few No. 1's for sale/trade. You just never know what may show up.

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
It's called the "lounge".

The 357 thing seemed to have run it's logical course. Denigrated into rare/uncommon #1s in general and yes a bit of personal chatter that was just about as germain as the Martini Cadet.

2 mods on line and could have said "off task" any time.
Mods feal fre to erase or move anything you find out of line.

RWT

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
For those that use the "search" function to look for comments on certain topics, sometimes it is nice that some of the responding postings actually contain some of the words in the original query. Saves everyone time and effort, if looking for some topic in particular. Saves a little frustration for a new guy.

If that does not matter here, ok with me....................perhaps a new thread on collectables in some specifics would have helped; perhaps not.

Did not mean to overexcite anyone. For a moment there, thought I was on a Yahoo forum; but obiviously must have been mistaken.

The cadet I mentioned was in 357 caliber in a light rifle, that's all, either the no.1 or cadet would be enjoyable to shoot for most.

Just trying to read for content somewhat close to the original posting.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Heliman":2uqcd6te said:
Ross and others........

I for one enjoy the banter on this thread. Doesn't hurt to go off topic if we are learning something.....JMO :D

Dave :wink:

That is basically why I haven't said anything else on this post recently. I really enjoy the way things wander off course and that is where a lot of conversation turns "educational". I can't add much to the expertise here so I like to sit back and absorb. I don't have a bank account big enough to even worry about a lot of what Ross and the other No.1 collectors talk about but someday when I do , I will hopefully remember some of the stuff I've learned here.

roofinspector...I don't know about the others but I would like to hear more about the Cadet rifle. Maybe even a pic or two. I have though about hunting one of those rifles down myself and converting it.

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
I thought we were making light of the overuse of the terminology "rare" when advertising rifles that were common, or perhaps uncommon but not actually rare...... pseudo-rare rifles like the two No. 1's chambered in .357 over-run California Highway Patrol rifles is what started the thread which is titled "Rarest of the rare" and doesn't mention anything about caliber or ever the model of Ruger being discussed.

But I will avoid any travel-log discussion from here on.....

Dave

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Well, to return to the topic, I must admit, somewhat embarrassed, that I have just bought a 1A in .357 to hunt with and to shoot hogs with, little ones, without the CHP markings.
If I ever get it, will post info on how it shoots. I intend to try some of the Hornady Leverolution ammo in it.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Lee,
I don't think any Ruger #1 afficionado ever has to apologize for buying ANY #1. I imagine that will be a good hog killer with the new Hornady ammunition. If you reload for it, try Reloder 7 or Lil'Gun with 180gr bullets.
Lance

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
gewehrfreund":20hvxkch said:
See, I've been saying all along that these 357's are real sleepers. Being the benevolent person that I am, I'll let mine go for $1500 plus $100 S&H. I may even include a set of period correct rare rings for an additional $100. No need to thank me.

I would thank you but your $100 shipping and handling would break me. :lol:

chet15

Hawkeye
I know a lot of collectors say the Number 1 in .357 mag without CHP markings are a super rare gun, but for every gun that shows up with CHP markings why is it there are another 10 in between that show up without the CHP rollmarks??? Maybe all those CHP folk are holding onto their rollmarked guns? But still, you'd think there wouldn't be a very high frequency of the unrollmarked guns showing up if there were only a couple hundred or less of those around?
What say everybody?
I am of the opinion that there needs to be more research on this one. How many CHP marked guns did the CHP really get???
Chet15

lctrcjim

Bearcat
guys, guys, guys...........ya ain't seen nuttin yet..........if you wanna see the shape of things to come, take a look at the prices of vintage & collectible guitars on ebay...................

the sad thing is, the people paying insane-obscene amounts of money & driving prices thru the roof have never played a note of music in their lives

I'm afraid the same thing is gonna happen with guns...............

jmfc606

Single-Sixer
Chad,

I own an unrolled marked version too. Maybe we should poll the entire forum and see how many we own here on RF. Maybe there are more unrollmarked than rollmarked. lol. Seems like everytime you turnaround there is another on for sale. So do you think there could there be more than the 200?

PS if you want the SN just let me know and I'll PM it

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
wernt then some knid of limited run for a police dept. A buddy had one back in the day. I dont know if he still has it or not but they were pretty common back then and for a while were selling fairly cheap because nobody wanted them.

Latest posts