RAR 17HMR or 22mag Which to buy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Kicking around the idea of getting a compact RAR in either 17 or 22 mag. Looking for opinions on the two mainly accuracy and functioning reliability. Sitting on around ten thousands rounds of ammo in both calibers. Have a 1x3 weaver scope on hand. Just don't know which way to go. Would probable need a bigger scope for the 17. Don't really need a heavy long range 17 got a savage with a 5x15 scope on it. Just want a knock around no nonsense rimfire with more punch than a 22 lr. I know just by both.

9x19

Hunter
I'm no help deciding which one, as I bought one of each, but I can safely say whichever way you go, you'll probably be happy with the rifle. :mrgreen:

RugerARx3_zpsa8940953.jpg

wproct

Single-Sixer
I currently own a standard RAR .22 magnum and do not own a 17HMR. However, when Ruger decides to introduce these rifles in stainless I may buy one in the hummer. Ammo is more available right now in the 17HMR, but that's not an issue for you. :mrgreen: Valid cases can be made for either choice, it's just a personal preference thing. All that I can add is that everything I read says that the .22 magnum RAR rifles are really good shooters. It's a little early to get a lot of feed back on the .17HMR models, but would expect them to perform well also.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Just on the fact that the .17hmr ammo is easy to find. That is my choice. Still I have yet to see a single .17hmr RAR at the LGS to buy.

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
I'm sure both rifles are great. I bought the RAR .22WMR and I am thrilled with the rifle. It is EXTREMELY accurate. American Rifleman reviewed the .22WMR and .22LR and called the .22WMR a "shocker" in terms of its groups. My own experience shooting a modest 25 yards (limited by my local range until I can go further out) matches that. Really good groups.

black029

Single-Sixer
Not being flippant, but at the prices they sell for, why not just get both? Especially since you have beaucoup ammo.