New Toy--Marlin 1894 .44 with nice wood

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a Marlin Model 1894P in .44 Magnum. A friend of mine bought it for Cowboy Action Shooting but it was not allowed because of the ported barrel. I got it at a great price and am happy with it. The new one you picked up is absolutely beautiful with that wood. When my buddy Davor takes gun pictures he is barefoot and I mess with him about his toe jam!

jgt

Buckeye
I have an early (1977) Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum. It had about a 15# trigger pull when I got it. I rolled up a paper towel and placed it between the hammer and firing pin and cocked & fired it while watching tv. After about fifty or more times it smoothed up and has been fine ever since. I never touched it when I did the fluff and buff later. My only complaint with it is the 1/38 twist rate in the barrel. It is a micro-groove but I am fine with that. Two or three months ago I ordered a new one made by Ruger from a local shop. It was an almost exact copy of my original 1894 44 magnum but has a much prettier stock, a small recoil pad, and less wood in the front stock. Out the door I paid more for mine than you, but I am old and didn't feel like waiting any longer for the price to go down as I have been waiting forty years for a Marlin 44 magnum with a 1/20 twist barrel. Congratulations on your purchase. I like mine and I even like the original one though it is not ideal for my taste. I hope you will come to like yours as much. Thanks for sharing the news. That is a beautiful gun you have.

Whoop Whoop Whoop !!
Finally, one is available locally. A local shop emailed me a flier to say they have one. That's all it took. I clicked BUY NOW.
Haint seed it yet, but had I waited to see it in person, it would have been already sold.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11-12-04 (2 unread) - devoreshe@aol.com - AOL Mail.png

I just picked mine up. The action is smooth, the trigger quite acceptable, and the wood, although finished nicely and perfectly serviceable, is nowhere near as nice as Cholo's. It's as straight-grained and plain as lever action stocks of the old days.

It also looks like the magazine was loaded many times via the loading gate. The gate is quite marked with brass. Maybe they are testing the magazine for the problems other folks have reported. 🤔

More on the wood... I cleaned this gun up and oiled it a little bit before storing it away. Inspection of the stock shows the wood to metal fit is flawless. And if the grain is not picturesque, the perfectness of the walnut makes this gun still quite gorgeous.

I must say too, the straight grip, walnut (not laminate) and small lever make this gun very trim, and much lighter feeling than my pre-Ruger Marlin .357 SBLR.

This was a good choice and worth the wait.🤩

Last edited:

Cholo

Staff member
It also looks like the magazine was loaded many times via the loading gate. The gate is quite marked with brass. Maybe they are testing the magazine for the problems other folks have reported. 🤔

Mine was pretty scuffed up, too, and that was right out of the box. Every one I've looked at was the same way to varying degrees.
I just pulled out my bought new '76 Marlin 336C and the gate still looked really good figuring the 30-30 is just a wee bit longer than a 44 Mag. I'm guessing the RM 1894's have really thin bluing and it will be scrubbed off in short order.

I like your wood! That's the reddish walnut I posted about somewhere else. I'd be disappointed if it came with the watered down chocolate milk look like the one I saw at a gun show.

Latest posts