New Toy--Marlin 1894 .44 with nice wood

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Went down to Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA to see if they had any Marlin 1894's in stock. Nice store! Some say it's the largest gun store in the world, and I know it's the largest in GA, anyway. I have no real reason whatsoever to buy this rifle other than I want it. Also, I've never had an 1894.

Can I help you? Do you have any new Marlin 1894's? You just passed one and he handed it to me. Not a good trigger at all with creep and grittiness. It had okay wood, but not what I was looking for. It also had a scratch on the receiver tang just past where the hammer sets when cocked. He checked and said he had another in the back and he'd have the guy bring it up. I peeled back the plastic and, oh, yes! I'll take it! $1,179 + 6% tax. At least it was $60 under MSRP.

The trigger pull was the same as the one in the rack. I'll say it's the nicest 5 # (measured) trigger that felt like it was 12#'s. It has a definite hitch before it breaks. I know it will smooth out after working it a few hundred times as well as shooting it.

Trooper Joe got great wood last August and I havn't seen any that nice since, and I've looked at a ton of them on the net. It was the bar I was aiming for.

The pics aren't great with the outdoor lighting I had when I got home, and in my kitchen. They still give you an idea of what Marlin is now putting out. This is straight from the box with no wipe down. My camera makes the wood look much lighter than it is. I know there's a way to darked the image to look more natural, but I don't remember how. It looks far better in person than the pics would indicate. In some images the wood looks porous, but it's not at all.

Anyway...

They even had ammo in a pretty pink box for the beta male LOL

Cholo,
You did good, very nice. I have a 1982 Carbine in 357 a great Lever Gun.
NOW if you want to make it a smooth cycling shooter check out the SASS sights on the net. It is pretty easy to slick them up by changing out some springs. I not sure if you shot mine at Fredericksburg or not. All of my lever rifles you can cycle with ONE finger.

Here is a start

Hankus

Blackhawk
I saw this one at a local shop priced at $1099, but I'm either going to hold out for one in .45C or get a Rossi R92 in .454 Casull or .45C.

Attachments

• IMG_6623.jpeg
    IMG_6623.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6622.jpeg
    IMG_6622.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 75

hittman

Staff member
Would a short term solution on the bullet length be using 44 Specials??

Cholo

Staff member
Would a short term solution on the bullet length be using 44 Specials??
My 235-260 gr SWC 44 Specials all fall a little under the 1.610 max. length and they could be an option. In my little reading last night most say a SWC won't usually load well in a Rem/Marlin or a JM Marlin. We'll see. I need to clean and oil the gun first.

I'll probably start a topic in the Reloading forum before too long.