Random Acts of Kindness

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Everyone is having a hard time in this economy. I think it's especially important to take care of servers. Restaurants are having a tough time getting help and at the same time fewer people are going out to eat, so the servers don't get as many tips. We've had family visiting recently decided to take them out to dinner. We pulled in to a nice restaurant and there were so few vehicles parked there I wan't sure that it was open anymore. We talked in and were served. The server remembered us from the last time we were there. Generally speaking I like to tip at least 50% of the bill. The ticket came and it was about $130.00 so I pulled out $200. I was surprised when my sister reached into her purse (which doesn't happen often :D) and pulled out $60 to help kick in. I didn't say anything I just added to the money I'd already rapped the bill in. When the server came by to pick it up she said I'll be back with your change. I just said don't worry about it we're good. We started gathering our stuff up and she came up to me and said, "You gave me too much." I have to admit I was caught off guard. I just mumbled that we were good. On the way out she came up to me again and said you really made my night, in fact you made my whole week. I don't know about everyone else but it's easier for me to be generous to people who are at least making an effort. I was embarrassed and she was thrilled. It was a good feeling.

Last edited:
Was with a group of guys 4 years ago out in Nevada and we had finished a four day defensive hand gun course.. out at a restaurant that night. I snuck in the back and paid the server ahead of time and tipped her 25%... then when the guys found out they all started arguing and ended up throwing about the same amount of money on the table toward me... I picked up the money and took it into the kitchen and gave that to the server too.

50% tip... I'll have to think about that.

blammer

Single-Sixer
I don't tip as much as OP unless there was really good service, but totally agree with idea of rewarding those who even show up and work serving people. I do give tips to fast-food workers and on restaurant orders I pick up to go. As said by OP, the way inflation and gas prices are going, it's taking longer number of working hours to just break even on gas money to get to work.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I don't 'eat out' much so don't have any follow-on server stories.
Four years back when I was working away from home and eating lunch at a burger joint 3-5 times a week, I was in line to order when this 50-ish guy came up beside me and unloaded his pockets. Looked like maybe he'd been walking the area parking lots gathering dropped change. He was wearing a tattered BDU jacket and had paper thin GI issue boots on his feet--this could have been part of his act or part of his life. He came up with less than $2 in change and asked the counter person what he could get. I pulled a $5 out of my money clip and laid it beside his pile of pennies and dimes and said "get what you want". The construction crew that was standing behind us saw this and added to the pile. When I left, the guy was sitting with the crew having a good time with his no longer meager meal. The last thing I saw as I walked away was a crisp military salute from the guy leading me to believe his raggedy boots and jacket hadn't come from the GoodWill store.

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
My 22 year old daughter is autistic and works at a pizza place that is always very busy. She works as a hostess and sets up party rooms, mostly for family birthdays and such. Now, understand , she appears to be 16 years of age( what a blessing!), and one day she had to tend to 5 different parties. One gentleman asked her if she had a twin sister, my daughter replied "no ,sir". He asked because he said that it appeared as two identical girls were hustling to do their jobs. My daughter took that as a compliment! Later when she went to clear off the gentleman's table , he left a note and a $100.00 bill as a tip!!
She ran after him and tried to give back the tip and he told her" Ive never seen anybody work so hard, at their job and keep a smiling face and positive attitude. Young lady, you deserve that tip!!"
This daddys just about busted his shirt buttons when she informed me about that! So proud of my little Kelley!!!

Thanatos

Bearcat
Tips should NEVER be expected. If I do not feel like leaving a tip then I don't. I usually do(20%). What to employers give them salaries for....They pay their wait staff low wages, and expect us to pay for thier work, meanwhile they are obviously making a tidy little profit on the food.