Rainy Days and Sundays..............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Johnny Cash had a song out a few years back with a line that went, "Rainy days and Sundays always get me down...." Today was both.

I had had my breakfast and was dressing for Sunday School and church. I had just put on my tie and slipped into my coat. And a wave of memories flooded over me.

On Sunday mornings, I would dress and Nita would be sitting in front of the dresser putting on final touches of her make-up. The chair she sat in was my desk chair, from my mother's gift to me of many, many years ago. Whenever she moved the chair would creak and squeak as she applied finishing touches.

I would stand in front of our full length door mirror, and, having put on my tie and coat, would turn to face her and stand tall. Nita would look me over and say, "Wow! You sure look nice."

Missed that appraisal this morning.

Bob Wright

turd

Buckeye
Reading through this thread, not much remains to be said. Except that we appreciate your willingness to lay yourself bare to us and share your grief. I think that is healthy as so many people consider their grief to be personal and try to hide it, instead of working though it. Bob, I haven't lost a spouse, but the loss of parents that have been there my whole life was very difficult. As others have said, in time the memories become less painful and more beautiful. As long as you remember, they are still with you.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Lots of folks go to the cemetery to talk to their dead friends and relatives. I do, too, but find it's easy to stop for a second and remember, maybe silently, maybe with a word or two.

Do what makes you feel best, Bob, and don't worry about anyone else's actions. If I were you, I might just wander over to that chair and make a couple of familiar creaks and squeaks.

Rick C

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Bob... I've never had what you had.... and at this stage of the game I never will.. (although you'd consider me a young'un)..
The closest I can come to is this.... The only person who ever truly understood me, (and vise versa), was my father.....
And even tho I only knew my pop, for 8 years.. (long story).... losing him was devasting. That was 1999....
It took me years, for the thoughts in my head, to not be addressed, as a conversation with him... That was 23 years ago....
And, I still ponder my decisions today with... "what would pop do?"...... The answer always start with..... "aw h*ll"... (he was a marine.. he couldn't help it.)
I try to live my life in such a way, that I'll see him.. and all of my family... again.. (a tall order for a guy like me)...
I somewhat doubt, that you will have that issue... You seem to be a straight and upstanding young man..... Heck.... I even need a step stool to see your pics you post on here..... ;)
God Bless ya Bob....

eveled

Hunter
It was by the Carpenters
Mamas and Papas sang “Monday Monday.”
Johnny sang “Sunday morning coming down”.

Not that any of that matters in the context of this thread.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Buckeye
"I would stand in front of our full length door mirror, and, having put on my tie and coat, would turn to face her and stand tall. Nita would look me over and say, "Wow! You sure look nice."

You finally broke my heart with that narrative Bob............ I can only imagine as we near those years.

J.

ole442

Single-Sixer
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Bob:

It sounds like your Nita would want you to live life even though she has passed! She sounds like a really sweet person, and you were so lucky to have her for all those years. But you do still have her. She's in your heart and in your memory and so, she still lives on! I'll bet she'd want you to move forward and enjoy life the best you can and know that she's still with you in the memories that you carry of her! Take care brother!

OLE442

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
BOB: My prayers are still headed your way for as long as You need them. I wish with all my heart I could say or do something that could take away some of your pain. And to bring back You Old Way Of Life with Your beloved NITA. But as You and I both know I can`t, but if I could, I would have already done so. If I could do anything for You anything at all. All You have to do is just ask.
TAKE CARE MY FRIEND:
ken