Question--Ruger Vaquero-.357mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MIR

Bearcat
hey, considering a SAA revolver and I am looking at the Ruger Vaquero in .357 (SS) with 5-1/2" barrel.
What brand of off the shelf ammo best suits this pistol in both .38 and .357 ?
Is there anything that needs to be done or should be done to improve the accuracy or is it accurate OOB?
I hear the .45LC needs some work done on the cylinders, reaming or something like that, what about the .357 magnum?

Very well built pistol, I had the chance to look at both a Ruger and a Colt and to me at least, the Ruger seemed better built, but the Colt was more expensive, alot more expensive...the dealer told me that if you plan to shoot alot, get a Ruger, a Colt wont hold up to abuse like a Ruger will.

But I would like to hear comments about the Vaquero in .357 magnum and what can be done to improve accuracy or if work needs to be done on them like the .45LC

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Well, there is the "New Vaquero" and the "Vaquero." Check the frame, it'll have it marked on it. The "NV" is a smaller, lighter frame which balances about the same as the older Colts, and early OM Rugers. The Vaquero frame is the same frame size as the Blackhawks, and can handle "stouter" loads. If you plan on heavier loads, or a lot of serious shooting with full power ammo, look at the Vaquero vs the New Vaquero. If casual hunting, plinking and normal (not heavy hunting loads) ammo, then the NV is just fine.
As for ammo types, you have to find out which ammo the gun prefers. It'll tell you when you go shooting. That's why a lot of us reload, so we can build something the gun really likes.
Accuracy. Some come out as tack drivers, and others need tweaking. You won't know until you shoot it.
The 45 Colt cylinders sometimes need uniform reaming to accept cast lead bullets for those of us who enjoy using them. The 357 doesn't suffer that same issues.
Yes, the Rugers are more robust, and rugged than the Colts. Most serious shooters use Rugers over Colts.
Action jobs, or at least to some, spring replacements etc all help the handling and feel of a gun.
But, you can take a new Ruger, spend time shooting and dryfiring practice with it, and develop a smooth shooter w/o ever doing anything else to it.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
MIR, wanna take advantage of some bumpkins?
I know places in Kentucky an Tennessee
Where ig'nernt hicks will shoot Ruger forty-fives
'Gainst any ol gun whose caliber starts with three.

Get the new Vaquero and don't look back..a great gun, and will stand up to all the abuse you can give it, including SASS shooting which really is hard on a SAA revolver...JMHO

stantheman86

Buckeye
I honesly can't imagine shooting as a hobby without my Rugers.......I have a .357 Blackhawk and it's great, it will last 500 more years probably. The beef on that cylinder is only surpassed by my .357 Redhawk, and then just barely.

raveneap

Bearcat
I've got both the orig Vaquero in 44/40 and the New Vaquero in .357 mag. Both are excellent. I just target shoot and plink for fun but they've handled very well.

DSC03850.jpg
[/img]

The 357 Mag Vaquero (new or old) is tough to beat for an all around shooter, you can shoot any and all 38's, specials and 357 magnums, heck, add the 9mm cylinder (spare) and you get even MORE selection of ammo...as for anything "off the shelf" , YOU gotta try any and all ammo you can get your hands on, and see what works for YOU< also if you get into 'reloading", the sky is the limit........my favorite caliber

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I have found that all guns can be picky on ammo. My two blue New Vaqueros work well with the same load but my stainless works better with a different load.