Question for those who may know

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Hey folks,
I stopped by a new LGS today and they had a Chippa 1911 in .45 ACP.Its an all steel, full sized gun.
The gun had nice fit and finish, speed bump beavertail grip saftey, and fiber optic sights on it .Brand new it was $399.00
I'd like to have another 1911 that is reliable and at least combat accurate that I won't care about dinging it up, holster ware and such.
Anyone have any experience with these guns.
It's my sincere that Rock Island, and another low end 1911 are all made in the Philippines on original Colt tooling.
I know from experience I can't build one from scratch for that.
Please let me know your opinions on this.
Thanks,
Your Friend,
Lou

wwb

Hunter
I don't know anybody with a Chiappa, but I know several guys with Rock Island 1911s. Nothing fancy about them, but they work. They all polished the feed ramp and chamber throat... maybe not necessary, but it doesn't hurt. Not bullseye quality accuracy, but that's not what they bought them for.

My guess would be that a Chiappa would be about the same.

pisgah

Buckeye
No experience of the Chiappa, but the Rock Islands are in about the same price range and they are superb, so I know a decent 1911 of that price can be done. I've heard good reports on Turkish-made ones, too.

I'm thinking the Chiappa might be the one that's outlawed here in S.C. because it has some metal in it that is below a certain melting point. Law was passed to keep out cheap foreign Saturday night specials when in the final view was to make handguns less affordable for certain poor groups of people.

pisgah

Buckeye
blume357 said:
I'm thinking the Chiappa might be the one that's outlawed here in S.C. because it has some metal in it that is below a certain melting point. Law was passed to keep out cheap foreign Saturday night specials when in the final view was to make handguns less affordable for certain poor groups of people.

You may be thinking of the 1911-22, the rimfire version. All references I can find say steel frame/slide/barrel for the .45. And they mostly speak of Turkish origin.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Yeah I've heard the parent company is based in Turkey ,but that .45 1911 are built in the Philippines.
This gun has the frame drilled & taped for a rail , not that I would install it, but that's a nice feature to have.
I've been checking reviews all day and 99% say it's a great buy for an entry level 1911.
They say their very reliable and way more accurate than what you'd expect for the price.
I wish my bike would sell I want one of those and still have other project guns I need to finish.
Lou

wizofwas

Buckeye
Hey Lou, remember that Turkish made Regent I brought to the East Coast meet last year? IIRC, you checked it out and said that it as a real nice pistol for the money. It still shoots just fine and eats everything I've put through it. I remember when I was looking for an entry level 1911, I compared the Rock Island to it and even though the Rock Island felt a little better in my hand, the Regent just seemed to me to be a better built pistol. Just throwing another option out there for you.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Well Smoke if I had a thousand bucks to spend on a gun that's going to get abused ID buy another Kimber TLE II in Stainless Steel , but even coming up with four hundred bucks is a stretch, I own a bunch of money for the work I've had done on my M1A.
Not everyone can afford to always buy American made products.
I buy jeans at Wallyworld, they cost 20 bucks a pair and last for years, Levis cost 50/60 bucks and fall apart in a couple of months.
You gotta do what you gotta do.
I won't APPOLIGZE for that.
Lou

Sorry Lou should of elaborated a bit more. I just try to
support my Brothers with American made products.

I got a SR1911 for about 6 bills, pretty good bargain imo I like it.

Someday I'll learn to be quiet. ps

cruzerlou

Buckeye
No offence taken my brother, just want everyone to know I'd rather buy American and I do when I can, if I could find a SR 1911 in Stainless for that price I'd jump on it , but around here their going for at least $600.00 used.When my bike sells I'm gonna take half of that and try to fine an older 450/650 Enduro so I'll still have a bike and still finish my gun projects .Gonna be tight either way lol.
Your Friend,
Lou

k22fan

Blackhawk
I did not even know Chiappa was making a 1911 so I can only guess at how they perform. However, I've seen a half dozen new Chiappa .22 rimfires that look sort of like 1911s show up at the range and none of them have been reliable enough to worth owning. Some of them had problems with POI being widely off POA. That's a clue what to expect.

I'd hold off and watch what comes up locally on the used market.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Lou, In my travels I see the Para Expert Commander selling for $479 (plus 10 bucks shipping). That is a heckuva deal! They have been right at/around this price for awhile, I would not hesitate. Adjustable trigger, custom hammer & grip safety, good sights, and two steel 8-rd mags, I'd say get one now.

Remember Para USA is now Remington and all the guns carry Rem warranty and service (with rem NC parts). US citizens build and warranty these guns.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/para-ordnance-1911-45acp-4-25-expert-cmdr-2-8rd.html

I own a Para USA 14.45 and can say it is reliable, shows better accuracy than a couple older 1911s I shoot, and is a pure workhorse.
In the "under $500" 1911 category, I'd steer a friend toward the ParaUSA Commander deal everytime!

Other than the name I don't really know much about the Chiapa. Turkey put's out some good shotguns since Beretta went there to have guns produced and there are some nice guns coming out of there. The Philippines puts out a LOT of good 1911's. I've very familiar with the Citadels (that are available through Legacy Sports) they produce guns for STI and various other manufactures for their price point gun. I have given away (at fund raisers) probably 40 of them and never heard a negative comment. I've had a couple myself and no problems what so ever. Look at RIA and Citadel. For the price they are difficult to beat. Doug Koenig came by the Legacy booth just before I did at SHOT and was extremely impressed with the quality. Couldn't believe that you could get that quality for the price.

Chiappa makes great products. We've owned several over the years. Still interested in a Rhino.

The 1911-22 was very fun.

Had a lot of problems with a Para Tac-four stainless. It jammed every 3rd or 4th. Round. Even Guns & Ammo hated it.

PS. Go Freedom Group!