Question for the collectors

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
An acquaintance has a flat top Blackhawk .357 he has offered me for sale. The serial number indicates manufacture in 1959. It has two issues. First; a previous owner decided to engrave his initials in the topstrap. While not poorly done, this obviously ruined its collector value. Second; the bolt does not rise to lock the cylinder, indicating a broken or missing bolt spring. Other than these two issues, the revolver appears very nice. Most of its original blue is intact, with only minor wear at the muzzle. I am not a collector and if I purchase the gun, it will be put to use; but I also do not like investing more money than I can get out of a gun. His asking price seems very attractive. Considering the issues it has, what would be considered a reasonable price for this gun.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The carved initials, even if done professionally, pretty much relegate it to project status for me. I would have to have it fixed and that costs money. While I was at it, I'd probably have it converted to a more useful chambering. I would have no problem paying $300 for your flat-top but only as a project gun. Maybe $400 if it was professionally done and otherwise in excellent, unconverted condition. Not difficult to find regular Old Model (`62-`72) project guns in the $300 range and I figure on $100 for a decent XR3 grip frame.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I agree with Craig but would add $50 to $100 since the gun IS a Flattop from the '50's!

After all, these guns were dropped from production in '62.

flatgate

Engraved in the topstrap? That would require rebluing of the gun at a cost of about $200, and then it is still a nice looking shooter. At a price of $300 you should be able to get your money back out of it, and At $500 if reblued, you should be able to resale and breal even in a couple of years. I'm afraid i would be upset that someone defaced the gun every time I saw the engraving and would have to get it reblued.
Qualify these comments with admission I am far from a collector. JMHO

Latest posts