Question about primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So it was confirmed 30 Carbine uses small rifle primers. I also use them in my .327 loads as stated in the Hornaday loading manual. But I see other places that use small pistol primers for .327. Is there much of a difference? I'm not going to use large rifle primers in my 30 carbine. Well they wouldn't fit but what about mag pistol primers in 357? This is something I do use. But can I use them in say .38's?

Are the factory components in boxed ammo similar to what we use in reloading? Such as primers? Like are they the same across the board from one brand to another? Such as CCI to Winchester for example? The Winchester small rifle primers I have are a brass color, while the CCI primers I have are silver.

From what I've read so far the thickness of the primer cup varies between Small Rifle and Small Pistol, and somewhere I even read someone improved their accuracy by switching.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I pretty much stay with the primer type that is listed in the load manual I am loading from. The only time I did any serious "experimenting" with primers is with the .327 Federal Magnum. Load data for primers in the .327 is all over the place. One load manual calls for standard small pistol primers and the next one calls for small rifle.
After running bunches of loads over the chronograph I settled on CCI small pistol magnum primers in the .327. I have single sevens in all three barrel lengths. The best and most consistent velocity and accuracy was from the CCI small pistol magnum primer. The worst results were from Federal small pistol standard primers, over half of the Fed. Primers pierced a tiny hole in the center,leaking gas . This happened in all three guns and with every bullet and powder charge tested.
Personal testing of loads is the only true way to know how they will work in your gun.
As always,YMMV.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The reason the 30 carbine uses small rifle primers is because of the high pressure of the factory rounds. If you are going to load the rounds to less pressure you could probably use small pistol primers either standard or magnum.

...so it depends on the load you are making. If you use small rifle primers you won't have any problems but go the other way and you might. :D

Thank you. And belated happy birthday Jim. I just saw the thread over in the lounge.

Chuck, you are so right. The loading data is wildly different for .327 depending on where you look. I have settled on a pretty accurate load using a small rifle primer. I didn't think about trying mag pistol primers.

no not yet. I was delayed with other stuff. I don't have time to go to the range until next week anyway,so I'm going to make a few rounds on the lower end of the scale and work up. I'm not one to experiment with ammunition but it's amazing how a 1/2 grain plus or minus can make quite a big difference in oomph of the bullet.

I'll post my results when I get back....I don't expect to loose a finger. :D

johndm1967

Bearcat
The CCI 400 Small Rifle Primer and the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primer are actually the same primer and can be used interchangeably. Odd thing is, I often see different prices for these primers.

Rclark

Hunter
And just a reminder for standard vs magnum primers ... It depends on the powder being used. Has nothing to do with the cartridge being called a 'magnum'. Most powders are fine with standard, while a few others like 4227, H110/296 use the Magnum primer for best results.