Question about .44 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking of doing a trade for a .44 carbine, 1963 manufacture.
The owner tells me that it has a factory Lyman peep sight. Original blueing is 95%, stock has been refinished but nicely done.
Two questions - will the refinished stock affect the value and could the peep sight be original factory ?
Thanks.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
There is not alot of collector value with the carbine, but refinishing the walnut can be anywhere from furniture-grade to back porch in quality. If there are ANY dents, bumps, or scratches remaining under the finish, it is amateur-hour. Likewise any rounding or "customization" of the contours and metal-to-wood fit.

RENE has some good info on the Lyman-equipped guns, as do many of the books available on the 44 carbines.

44rugerr

Single-Sixer
There were two receiver sights. RS model has sight mounted on the left side. The after market sight is mounted on the rear of the receiver. The rs model is collectable. the stock condition is important.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
If it is a factory RS the refinished stock takes it down from slightly collectible to shooter. Original RS actual selling price around 600 maybe 650. As a shooter about 500 to 550. Of the variations of the carbine the RS seems to bring the lowest level of collector interest. The sporter and mannlicher versions are much more in demand in the collector market. There is not a gun of any type that will not lose collector interest and value if it has been refinished.

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
In 1970 I bought my first gun....a Ruger 44 carbine...fingergroove...sporter or whatever.....and there's not enough money on this site collectively to pry my cold dead fingers off of it...lol....it is my baby....hence my name....

coastie

Bearcat
My Ruger .44 Carbine has the peep sight.
Had it....since the early '80's.
Sends them downrange well.
Hadn't had time to shoot much lately.
Paul

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I forgot all about this thread.
Thanks for all the comments guys. As it goes so many times on the internet the guy wasn't all that serious. I guess he just needed a friend to talk to.
He contacted me about a gun I had for sale and asked if I would trade for his .44 carbine. I told him I might, to send pics. Then he came back and said he wanted my gun at the asking price and since we were both in the same state, we didn't need to use an FFL.
I told him "OK, I will need a signed bill of sale saying that you are at least 21, not a felon and can legally own a firearm. I will also need a copy of your DL or CWP."
He then quit communicating. I took that as a sign that I just saved myself some trouble down the road.