Question About 327 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 6, 2011
Messages
169
About 16 months ago this “For Sale” ad showed up on this forum;
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=286488

What struck me as interesting was the assertion that this model was limited to an issue of only 200 units. Is this a correct statement? Has any further information come to light since then?

I got one of these kind of on a whim while waiting for my custom stainless S&W K-327 built and because I missed my Buckeye Special 32 Combo Blackhawk. When I made a deal for another Buckeye Special -see my post;
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=295597


Since I will soon have the combo 32, I thought at first I would simply pass it along to another lover of either Rugers or 327s. If it is that rare, though, I’m having second thoughts. It has been lovingly fired, but since it is stainless it still looks like new when cleaned. I think I still have all of the original stuff in the box except maybe the fired case. Does it qualify as a potential safe queen, or were more made than the ad suggested? The Ruger factory website actually shows it (at a price of $611) but notes it is out of stock(?)

Does anybody have the real dope on what happened on this model?

TIA ~ Froggie
 

hittman

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
10,737
Location
Illinois
If I were you I’d check with that seller and also member Chet15 to see if they learned any more. Both of those guys are authorities on the subject ….. at least as far as I’m concerned.
 

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
239
I would like to know the number myself. I have both the Pinto and the all stainless I’ve heard 68 of the Pintos were released from a pretty reliable source, but haven’t heard anything on the stainless.
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,741
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
From what I remember,, there were many more than 200 of the SS Blackhawk .327's. But the Pinto's were much lower production, not cataloged, and made from leftover parts,, as "clean-up guns."

As noted,, Chad may have better details.
 

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
7,776
Location
People's Republik of California
It definitely wasn't a good seller in such a large frame size just to get one extra shot. But only 200 units is a very estimate based on what I've read.

They'd have sell a lot more if made in a 7 shot on the medium frame.
 

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 6, 2011
Messages
169
Hondo44 said:
It definitely wasn't a good seller in such a large frame size just to get one extra shot. But only 200 units is a very estimate based on what I've read.

They'd have sell a lot more if made in a 7 shot on the medium frame.

I think you left out a word, Jim. Did you mean to type “...is a very low estimate...” or “... is a very good estimate...” or something else altogether? Also, since they are making the seven shot small frame version, are you suggesting something like a 7 shot 327 in the original size flat top Blackhawk frame? Now that’s a gun that I could get excited about!! 8)

I’m having some trouble now thinking of letting my SS 327 BH go because I’m thinking of all the seller’s remorse I’ve had over the previous Buckeye Special 32 combo I foolishly sold. Decisions, decisions! :roll:

Froggie
 
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
8,019
Location
Dallas, TX
I’m having some trouble now thinking of letting my SS 327 BH go because I’m thinking of all the seller’s remorse I’ve had over the previous Buckeye Special 32 combo I foolishly sold. Decisions, decisions! :roll:

Froggie

Unless you need the money, why not just hold on to it for a while? When I'm thinking of selling a gun, I usually give myself a year to think about it first, then after the year, if I still want to sell it, I feel like I've given myself enough time to make up my mind.
 

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
7,776
Location
People's Republik of California
Green Frog said:
Hondo44 said:
It definitely wasn't a good seller in such a large frame size just to get one extra shot. But only 200 units is a very estimate based on what I've read.

They'd have sell a lot more if made in a 7 shot on the medium frame.

I think you left out a word, Jim. Did you mean to type “...is a very low estimate...” or “... is a very good estimate...” or something else altogether? Also, since they are making the seven shot small frame version, are you suggesting something like a 7 shot 327 in the original size flat top Blackhawk frame? Now that’s a gun that I could get excited about!! 8)

I’m having some trouble now thinking of letting my SS 327 BH go because I’m thinking of all the seller’s remorse I’ve had over the previous Buckeye Special 32 combo I foolishly sold. Decisions, decisions! :roll:

Froggie

Froggie,

Hadn't had coffee yet I guess! Yes I meant very LOW estimate. Also I meant to say: "They'd have SOLD a lot more if made in a 7 shot on the medium frame."

And I did mean the OM 327 medium frame or the NM Flat Top Blackhawk medium frame. Either would be an ideal platform and could handle any 327 loads with plenty of strength and still very comfortable recoil!
 

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 6, 2011
Messages
169
Recoil? I don’t feel no steenkin’ recoil with my SS 8 shooter! Is it built on a Super Blackhawk frame? I’ve said it before, it’s a stud hoss of a gun, and even with eight holes through the cylinder, there’s a lot of steel (and strength) there. I’m leaning more and more toward holding onto it.

Froggie
 

contender

Ruger Guru
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
21,741
Location
Lake Lure NC USA
Kevin, yes,, he meant only about 130 of the pinto versions were produced.
And yes,, the full sized Blackhawk 8 shot stainless guns were produced in a larger quantity than 200.
Throw in the 327 Single-Seven & a lot of those were built as well.

One of the "complaints" on the 327 Blackhawk,, was it's size & weight. Many felt it was too big for the caliber. Kinda like the .357 Redhawks many years ago. But I personally LIKE the 8 shot .327 Blackhawk & it's a heck of a good shooter.
 

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Joined
Apr 3, 2009
Messages
7,776
Location
People's Republik of California
Green Frog said:
Recoil? I don’t feel no steenkin’ recoil with my SS 8 shooter! Is it built on a Super Blackhawk frame? I’ve said it before, it’s a stud hoss of a gun, and even with eight holes through the cylinder, there’s a lot of steel (and strength) there. I’m leaning more and more toward holding onto it.

Froggie

Yes, same frame size as the SBH; the large frame.

I always say, when in doubt about selling a gun, keep it! Hard to get them back. Time will make up your mind. You can always sell it later, and for more.
 

GarrettJ

Bearcat
Joined
Oct 8, 2016
Messages
18
Location
West MI
It's difficult to to tell much from the serial number. I can't find a listing for Blackhawk .327 serial numbers on their website. Mine has s/n 38-058XX. Maybe if we get a few others posted, we could get some idea of numbers produced.

Then again, my 10mm/.40 BH is also a 38-XXXXX series. So if they use the 38- prefix for special runs, there's no telling if they were pulling frames for different runs at the same time. So a high and low number of .327 guns may not necessarily mean all of the in-between numbers were also assembled as .327 revolvers.
 

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 6, 2011
Messages
169
It seems I read somewhere that a few of the promised third year of production of the Buckeye Special series of combo Blackhawks, a 44-40/44 Mag version was made, though nowhere near as numerous as the 32s or even the 10/38-40s. Was that an amphibian phantasy or did it really happen?

Froggie
 

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
239
RPM Enterprises said:
I just purchased a pinto gun and 130 were produced.

RPM, If you don’t mind me asking, where did the 130 number come from? I got 68 from, I believe a reliable source. Don’t really matter I guess as there were very, very few made and I am the lucky owner of one of them.
 
Top