Purchasing an SP 101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joezilla

Bearcat
I'm in a bit of a quandary and need some direction. I have a house in Texas. I am a full time RVer now that I have retired. I am currently in Arizona and have been bitten by the SP 101 bug. I'd love to get one, but according to what I think I know, I cannot purchase a gun while in Arizona. Is that right?

Can I order one on the internet, perhaps through Bud's and have it delivered to an FFL here in Tucson?

OR must I wait until mid April when I return to Texas to purchase?

Joe

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Sorry but you can only purchase handguns in the state that your permanent residence is in and you must take delivery in that state. If you have a Texas Drivers License then that's your state of residence. I think that there's an exception for active duty military but you're out of luck until you return to Texas.

Best Regards,
ADP3

A

Anonymous

I am fairly certain that you can depending upon the state's laws. The federal laws NICS check does not prevent you. You would fill out your Texas residence info on it.

The best advice I can give is for you to go to a local gun dealer in Arizona and ask them, just to be sure of Arizona laws.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Per the GCA of 1968

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Like I said before, I do not see how you can buy a handgun outside of your state of residence unless you hold an FFL or Curio License.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Dobe

Bearcat
What I normally do while traveling when I find a firearm I really want is to make the purchase, and have the firearm sent to my favorite FFL holder. I pick up the firearm when I get back home.

ronto

Hunter
Check the local newspapers for a "private" sale and go to a gun show in Arizona...criminals have no problem getting guns, it's criminal law-abiding citizens have to jump through hoops.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
+1 Bearcat.
Joe you might take a close look at a drivers license. DPS is strict on residency and just how long you have been in Arizona. The State is missing out on revenue and taxes on your car.

Blacklion213

Bearcat
A friend of mine went to AZ to Winter over. He had an AZ citizen purchase the handgun for him, then bought it from the AZ citizen and then returned to CA with his new handgun. Not sure if this is legal but sounds OK.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Blacklion213 said:
A friend of mine went to AZ to Winter over. He had an AZ citizen purchase the handgun for him, then bought it from the AZ citizen and then returned to CA with his new handgun. Not sure if this is legal but sounds OK.
That is a "Strawman" purchase and a Federal Felony.
Geoff
Who advises everyone to READ THE INFO AVAILABLE on the ATFE website.

Joezilla

Bearcat
Calthrop said:
+1 Bearcat.
Joe you might take a close look at a drivers license. DPS is strict on residency and just how long you have been in Arizona. The State is missing out on revenue and taxes on your car.

Calthrop,

We still own a house in Texas that my daughter and grandkids rent from us. We visit Texas in mid April and again over Christmas. Those are the times we get the vehicles reregistered and such. Texas is not missing out on revenue from us.

Joe

Joezilla

Bearcat
Bearcat said:
Out of state residents buying a handgun at an Arizona show is a federal felony....Do not risk it....

I was afraid that I would be told I could not purchase in AZ. I thought that was correct, but wanted to hear it from others too. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

I will delay my purchase until I return to Texas from AZ.

Joe

I'm moving to Texas soon and have started to brush up on gun laws. From what I understand a resident to Texas can purchase a gun in an adjoining state. I know New Mexico is between TX and AZ, but I wanted to throw this information out there. Am I correct in this matter?

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Joezilla said:
I'm in a bit of a quandary and need some direction. I have a house in Texas. I am a full time RVer now that I have retired. I am currently in Arizona and have been bitten by the SP 101 bug. I'd love to get one, but according to what I think I know, I cannot purchase a gun while in Arizona. Is that right?

Can I order one on the internet, perhaps through Bud's and have it delivered to an FFL here in Tucson?

OR must I wait until mid April when I return to Texas to purchase?

Joe
What is your current LEGAL resident state? You can buy and do the FFL thing in your state or in any contiguous state.

If your permanent residence is in Arizona, absolutely yes. If you have not established a permanent residence, your situation is a bit more cloudy. Where do you vote? Where is your driver's license from? Do you pay utilities anywhere? A gunstore takes these into account.

Contact a local (AZ) FFL holder and negotiate the price he will charge you for taking delivery and handling the Federal form. It will be as if you purchased the gun from his inventory.

Some gun stores are not willing to do this for their own reasons. Find another FFL holder. It is perfectly legal. (edit: perfectly legal to buy from a dealer in Arizona if your state of residence is Arizona).

Lost Sheep

More edit:

I believe it is legal for you, as a tourist in Arizona, to buy from a private seller (usually found in local newspapers). However, if you provided the money to the private seller to purchase a handgun for you, that IS the definition of a a "straw man" purchase and involves you both (or perhaps all three of you) in a felony. But that is just my belief. Check the BATFE web site yourself, or consult an attorney. Whatever you do, don't buy a gun from an internet seller before you know you can accept delivery at the FFL to which it will be shipped. The seller may not accept the gun back (even for re-shipment), the FFL holder who has the gun cannot deliver it to you (per federal law), cannot add it to his inventory (because it belongs to you) may not return it to the seller if the seller won't agree and the gun may sit in limbo for a long time.

Catch-22 and a demonstration of how stupid rules can be if they are not carefully crafted.