PSA check your bullet weights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I picked up a bag of 100 cast bullets for 9mm a while back. They were marked on the package as 115gr cast. I loaded them according to data starting with the start loads. I noticed they seemed a little "snappy" for a start load with cast. I haven't shot too many of them.

Fast forward a month or two. I picked up a small electronic scale a few days ago. Was curious about how consistent the bullet weights on these were. They are reasonably consistent, but are in the 128 - 129 grain range. Looking at the data, my loads were right at max, :? not start loads, like I thought. I still have some loaded that I haven't shot yet. I guess I will be pulling them, as variances in powder throwing may put a few over.

Bottom line, check those weights.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Yes, with my home cast bullets the weight is a little off what's listed on the mold, depending on alloy mix & all. I weigh them before loading to see where I'm at. I also do the same with most bullets I may buy, just to double-check & be sure things didn't get mixed up.

stevemb

Hunter
Yup, I have some "245gr SWC" that sized and lubed only go 237 grs.. In this case no safety issue at least. Good advice above. stevemb

LAH

Buckeye
Most all my moulds cast heavier than listed. 115 to 128 is too much of a spread though especially for a bullet of that weight.

Latest posts