Propane tank 'splitter"? Run a camp stove too from 20# tank?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Hi.Tried to phrase the title succinctly. We have a 20 pound tank on our little camper, "Ladybug". Is there an adapter or "splitter" that would let us stay attached from the tank to the camper appliances with the hose as normal, but also let us tap into the 20 pound tank to run a two burner Coleman propane camp stove that is meant to use the little one pound bottles? Doing so would let us eliminate one more thing we have to carry in the camper (the small bottles). Did a search on "propane tank splitter" but the only results I'm seeing are to split off and attach two large appliances like two gas grills to one tank. Maybe there's a technical name for such a fitment that I can search(?)
No spitter I find necks down to the small fitment for the Coleman camp stove.
A camping trailer friend said " I would sure think something like that's available..." which is what leads to my question.
Thanks. Don

Dan in MI

Staff member
https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propane-Splitter-Connector-Cylinder/dp/B01LPY9R8U/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3Q9SC98WWIWB8&keywords=propane+y+adapter&qid=1561254003&s=gateway&sprefix=propane+y+adaPTER%2Caps%2C307&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Converter-Replacement-Certified-Appliances/dp/B01N1H6LVD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=ZZT0JNZPV4G3&keywords=propane+hose+adapter+1lb+to+20lb&qid=1561254036&s=gateway&sprefix=propane+hose%2Caps%2C230&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Number9

Blackhawk
You can just about adapt any propane camping equipment to fit your needs...
They make a hose that goes from 20# to small bottle accessories... I run lanterns, Mr. Buddy heater, etc. from 20#. They make fittings for every need and when they don't just make your own!

Homemade "tree"... low pressure to stove, bottle pressure to lantern..
IMG_0613.JPG

Just in case you want to see a real camp stove and oven looks like :mrgreen: ...
https://ImageEvent.com/number9/campstoveoven

WARNING! Yes you can get a splitter... I bought one years ago and hooked it up... smelled propane and it leaked.... I've tried every method known to gas experts to keep the connection from leaking and it would still leak.... I contacted the company that made it and their answer was "sorry"..... I determined it was a defect not just in mine but how the splitter was made. The sections are threaded together and the tolerances between the two were not tight enough even with pipe dope and teflon tape.

Oh, I'll go out back in a while and see if I can find the dern thing and it might have the name of the manufacturer on it.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you all. Penny and I went to Tractor Supply Company last evening to look and ask. Nobody there had a clue about what I need. Did get to pet on a friendly little fox terrier another customer had on a leash though so the trip wasn't wasted.
And thank you for the links!
Camping World never gets a dime of our money. And heck. They started right here in Bowling Green.
Don

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can get propane hoses with a quick disconnect at any BBQ grill place or online so you can plug in and then un-plug a cook stove. Just be sure the 'T' is after the regulator. You don't want to tap into the high pressure at the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gas-grill-quick-disconnect/s?k=gas+grill+quick+disconnect

Tallbald said:
Thank you all. Penny and I went to Tractor Supply Company last evening to look and ask. Nobody there had a clue about what I need. Did get to pet on a friendly little fox terrier another customer had on a leash though so the trip wasn't wasted.
And thank you for the links!
Camping World never gets a dime of our money. And heck. They started right here in Bowling Green.
Don
Don,
I bought the type of connection you are looking for at my local Ferrellgas propane dealer. Most propane sellers have a little storefront with propane accessories available.

Number9

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
WARNING! Yes you can get a splitter... I bought one years ago and hooked it up... smelled propane and it leaked.... I've tried every method known to gas experts to keep the connection from leaking and it would still leak.... I contacted the company that made it and their answer was "sorry"..... I determined it was a defect not just in mine but how the splitter was made. The sections are threaded together and the tolerances between the two were not tight enough even with pipe dope and teflon tape.

Oh, I'll go out back in a while and see if I can find the dern thing and it might have the name of the manufacturer on it.

Use a tee and adapt it to what you're using...
notice on my pipe for the stove, I used a tee... one end goes to tank.. other to a regulator.. one to the lantern. You can put a shutoff valve to either branch.

I remember spending 2 weeks up north of the brooks range and we had a propane tank, with a Tee, that went on top. We had a lantern on top of the Tee, and a hose going to the Mr. Buddy Heater and another to the cook stove. What a great set up. Anywhere that sells Coleman products should have what you need.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Or this way......

Sorry for the blur...

1oOBQ6Bm.jpg

I bought everything to split the line from my #20, to run a kitchen range and an on demand hot water heater.... or whatever I decide..
It can also run a small camp stove with an adapter...
Everything was purchased at True Value hardware store........

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Remember when working with gas fittings there are pipe threads which need dope or teflon tape on the threads and there are compression fittings that use farrows and flare fittings that don't use anything on the threads. After tightening everything up pressurize the lines and put a sudsy solution of dish detergent and water (50/50) on them with a brush and check for bubbles (leaks).

Tank pressure can be very high (150psi) so there should be a regulator at the tank and then the fuel lines run at very low pressure 13 inch water column about 1/2 psi. Some appliances have a regulator (appliance regulator) attached to the appliance to protect from over pressurization at the appliance if the tank regulator fails.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Don, since you said your stove originally uses the 1# bottles, one of the hose adapters here oughta take care of things for you. Still might have to make your own tee: https://www.amazon.com/coleman-propane-stove-adapter/s?k=coleman+propane+stove+adapter

Now for a question: is anybody considering using an originally liquid fueled (Coleman fuel) model and want to run it on your big propane bottle?
If so, you'll need an adapter with integral generator like the Stansport on that same Amazon page. That Stansport model looks a lot like what I have, and you'll need to buy the hose, too. Also, if working with a liquid fueled Coleman stove, there are at least two sizes of generators, so be sure any adapter you purchase lists your model.

I ran a two burner Coleman stove off a 20# tank for a long time, melting lead to cast bullets, until I couldn't get the tank refilled (expired inspection date and old style fittings--nobody would certify it any more) and I'd have to buy a new tank plus a new hose. So I finally broke down and bought a proper electric melting pot. I never even stuck an external regulator in line (I dunno if the adapter had an internal one or not.) I don't know what pressures the 20# bottles normally run, but those liquid fueled Coleman stoves run on 30-35psi when pumped up "tight" and I never had a problem.

Rick C

Dan in MI

Staff member
Rick Courtright said:
......... until I couldn't get the tank refilled (expired inspection date and old style fittings--nobody would certify it any more) and I'd have to buy a new tank plus a new hose.
Rick C

That's what Blue Rhino (or whatever your local propane swap company is) take your bad tank in and trade for one of their refills. Yes, I know they don't fill them completely, but for once every few years to get an updated tank I'll used them. I just swapped out two that had expired for brand new 2019 stamped tanks.

TCGuy

Single-Sixer
This is what you need: https://www.cabelas.com/product/BASS-PRO-SHOPS-DISTIBUTION-POST-OUTLET/2911606.uts?slotId=7

I have one, and it's great.

Latest posts