Problems with my recently purchased, used, 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Hi. I recently bought a 10/22 via private deal with a young man who said he used it for his highschool shooting team. I don't know the specifics (how you describe this model), but it is that nice, engraved, wood stock, with stainless barrel etc. It's quite nice, and I picked it up for a deal. The problem I have with it is that I get plenty of misfires (FTF?). I'd say, 2 in 10, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I should note that even in the case of these misfires, there is still a nick/dent in the rim of the casing. I can't tell that it is any less of a dent than in a properly fired round.

I brought it into a local gunsmith who looked at it and noted that the firing pin was bent a little at the end, and appeared to be a gun that had been dry fired a lot. He said he straightened the end of the pin.

He also said that my problem was cheap ammo. He explained that WalMart (etc) contract with these makers for cheap, bulk ammo. They skimp on the liquid charge that lines the casing of these rounds, so if you strike the rim on a part that does not receive any of this material, you get a FTF. I don't quite believe him, b/c the same ammo will cause NOT ONE misfire in any of my buddies' .22s and they are beater guns, at that.

Any ideas? Thanks so much, and I apologize for any apparent lack or misuse of gun lingo...

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
There could indeed be many variations from lot to lot of the cheap ammo. You could have the misfortune of hitting a section where the priming compound may not be uniform.

Also, how strong are the firing pin springs and/or how gunked up is the bolt?? If any rifle's firing pin springs are worn, it can cause light strikes on any such type ammo where priming compound may not as plentiful. Case in point. Last year, I took my Marlin Model 60 out of mothballs where it sat in a dusty basement over the course of 20 years. It was in the factory carton but it still have plenty of dust in it. I cleaned it out several times yet I still had a few light strikes. Rechambering the round did fire it. After several more cleanings, I had no more light strikes.

So your best bet would first be to field-strip the rifle and clean the bolt really well. After that, try various brands of ammo.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Bulk ammo is bulk ammo regardless of where's it sold. Dealers have cried foul over anything Walmart for years and years siting their wares as inferior. :roll: YET to see any of these geniuses prove it. However, try different ammo AND change the firing pin. For the small cost and ease of replacing it's a good idea. One doesn't bend a firing pin to fix it unless they're trying to make a quick buck of an unsuspecting customer. That the case, time to find a new dealer.

9x19

Hunter
A new firing pin and hammer spring would be the first things I did... and make sure the bolt face is clean (no crud in the rim recess).

chevy314

Bearcat
Better ammo is a great suggetion, my 1022 is somewhat finiky when it comes to ammo. You may also want to check how you are holding the rifle, when my son starting firing it if he didnt hold it tight against his shoulder he would get more than a few misfires. Good luck.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Thank you all, for your responses so far. I have a lot to learn about firearms - I've used them to hunt a fair bit, but they've always been borrowed, so beyond gun safety, and operating a firearm, I'm weak (field-stripping, thorough cleaning, etc.).

Given that, I would like to learn to field-strip it, clean it properly, but not sure about replacing mechanisms. I AM mechanically inclined, so maybe it's no big deal.

Where would you recommend getting parts for it? (I did see a firing pin at: http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22.htm), about 3/4s of the way down the page) last night.

Thanks again.

You need a new firing pin for sure and as also mentioned make sure everything inside the receiver is clean and lightly lubed... clean the chamber where the round sits really well.

I don't think the cheap ammo has anything to do with it.... yes, cheap ammo will cause problems but usually not missfires and for sure not every 8th or 9th round.

If you have the money I would also go ahead and replace the hammer and possibly sear on the rifle at the same time to lighten up the trigger pull.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I should add that I just purchased some new ammo for the gun.

Winchester Super X Power Point XP (40 grains, 1280fps) , fwiw.

chevy314 said:
You may also want to check how you are holding the rifle, when my son starting firing it if he didn't hold it tight against his shoulder he would get more than a few misfires.
Please explain this to me if you will. I don't understand what a firing pin has to do with how tight to the shoulder the stock is.

chevy314

Bearcat
When my son would hold the rifle (he was just being introduced to shooting) he would hold it "loose" (for lack of a better term). He would get about 1 misfire every 5 rounds. When I fired the 1022 I would rarely get misfires. I had him hold the weapon securely against his shoulder and his misfires dropped. Not the most scientific explanation but I liked it since it did'nt cost me money.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
Take it apart and clean it real good. Remove the firing pin and clean the channel it rides in real good. If it is a factory firing pin, use a stone to remove any of the rough edges that would impede the movement of the firing pin. I got very aggressive with mine and used a Dremel tool to clean up all the edges (accept the striking edge) and it moves super smooth now. I would say odds are the gun just needs a solid tear-down cleaning. You don't need to disassemble the trigger group. Just flush it out good with some gun scrubber and then lightly oil and your good to go. Since your taking it down if it does not have a bolt buffer pick one up and install it when you have it apart.

You may still find you have problems from time to time with some super cheap ammo but over all you should be good to go.

Good Luck! Let us know how it works out.

APEXDUCK

V

Bearcat
If the tip of the firing pin was actually damaged due to dry firing, that means it was hitting the barrel. Check the face of the barrel for damage also. If the firing pin beat a notch in the barrel, the case rim would not be supported there, and that could increase the occurrence of failure to fire.

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.... when you change out the barrels on these you have to line up the extractor thingy on the side and get it just right. But I don't think the firing pin is supposed to hit the back of the barrel when dry firing... but I could be wrong.

OpsMgr

Bearcat
Sounds like the tip of the firing pin got damaged from too much dry firing as a result of the firing pin stop getting bent. Replace the firing pin as posted above and you should be good to go. I would also look closely at the barrel breech and make sure the chamber edge is not dented...

Zeestoj

Bearcat
Did you ever figure out what the problem was. I have the same issue and swapped out the trigger assembly and firing assembly from my new ruger and it does the same thing again. when I put the trigger assembly and firing assembly from the one that gave me problems into the new guns it fires perfect. I am assuming there is an issue with the barrel alignment or the housing that holds the firing assembly and trigger assembly. Keeps misfiring you can she the indent on the bullet but it doesn't fire so it jams.

Sounds to me like the chamber.....
I've been told the extractor does not really do the original extractiOn. The back pressure pushes the spent casing back. If the chamber is drugged up it might be causing these troubles.

Latest posts