Problem with my Mini-14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I took my new (to me) Mini-14 out today and had an issue with it. I'd put in a loaded mag, chamber a round, fire that round, it would eject just fine and chamber the next round, but the next round wouldn't fire as the trigger didn't reset. If I ejected it and chambered another round, boom.

I tried it several times until I just got frustrated with it and gave up. When I got home I started looking and found where I could look in the side and see the hammer and firing pin. I noticed that if I cocked it with my finger on the trigger the hammer would just come back forward with the bolt.

Could it be something as simple as I was keeping my finger on the trigger when it cycled? I know I'm used to bolt-action rifles and not worrying about releasing the trigger. I'm going to try it again tomorrow and pay attention to letting my finger off the trigger after I fire and see what happens.

paleocaver

Bearcat
Did you clean it really, really, good before use. Might be a build-up of storage grease and such keeping the firing pin from resetting. Hope this is the case as I just narrowed down my next gun to a Mini-14.

wwb

Hunter
I'm not a mini expert (not even a mini owner), but keeping the trigger pulled should be no problem.... the disconnector should disable the trigger until after you have released it.

Whe fired normally, it will eject the empty and chamber a new round long before your finger is off the trigger..... releasing the trigger will enable the sear.

Sounds like it just needs a good cleaning...... and if that doesn't cure it, then it goes back to Ruger.

k8vf

Bearcat
Pull action from stock and see if there is a buffer installed on the action spring at the rear.

If so, it MAY be too thick not allowing the action to cycle fully to the rear.

Just a thought.

MArk

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
found the problem...some idiot did some grinding on the hammer and the piece that holds it back after the bolt has cycled and the trigger is still pulled. It looks like a new hammer would take care of it, although it looks like I might be able to file the existing one and make it work. I'm guessing some clown had intentions of making it full auto.

they might have been trying to make the trigger pull lighter and smother.... I've done it on one of mine successfully, but you can screw it up with a thousands of an inch too much.

I hate to say this, but unless you are a good gun smith I'd send it to someone.... but then if the hammer is screwed up messing with that part somemore is not going to screw anything else up....just be aware you might be making the gun worse and unsafe.

Also, my experience is that taking a trigger group apart is easy, putting one back right is a big pain in the rear end.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Sounds like someone was trying to make it full auto by cutting off the disconnector. That won't work though... as I'm sure they found out and then sold it to cover their tracks.

If you know who the PO was, it might be worth a call to the ATF so they can investigate and make sure this person isn't making NFA prohibited firearms.

A new hammer should be the fix to prevent any future problems.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I totally screwed the pooch on this one as I didn't get a bill of sale. I have the guy's first name and cell number. Several guys locally have told me to call the ATF, but I can't prove anything and would likely either just get myself in trouble and/or lose my gun.

A new hammer and secondary sear would take care of the problem, except that you can't buy those parts on the free market...they are either factory or gunsmith only. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and see what I can find out as far as a cost to fix it.

X - Man

Bearcat
A hammer for a Mini can be obtained from Numrich. " http://www.e-parts.com " No secondary sear or trigger is available though.

Installing a new hammer into a Mini trigger group is not that difficult. Replacing the old hammer is a good place to start.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Well, you do have proof, you have an illegally modified firearm. It didn't leave the factory that way, and you didn't do the modification, so you bought it that way (unknowingly, I hope).

Because it doesn't actually function fully automatic, you are lucky as hell. One malfunction into full auto and you are in hot water though.

Call Ruger and get the parts ordered and then throw the old ones in the trash. You might even cut them up or otherwise damage them so that nobody gets a hold of them somehow.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I don't see that turning this into a federal case helps you fix the problem. Whether the previous owner(s) were trying to get the thing to go full auto or just trying to "improve" the trigger pull - who knows. Sounds to me like they fiddled with the disconnector in an attempt to get a single stage pull.

I suppose it's possible the part can be "saved" by taking off metal on the bottom of the disconnector and causing the top of the disconnector to pivot forward and engage the hammer - but that's definitely a "gotta know what you're doing" proposition.

This is a pretty good tutorial on how the Mini trigger works and has some good close up shots. You may be able to see which part on your trigger was modified:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuSRX92q ... 1&index=14

My guess is you'll have to send the gun (or trigger unit) back to Ruger. I don't see the trigger or disconnector listed - notice on the Brownells schematic that those two parts are shown in black and not listed for sale:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=25/schematicsdetail/

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
X - Man":2bg9rh5s said:
A hammer for a Mini can be obtained from Numrich. " http://www.e-parts.com " No secondary sear or trigger is available though.

Installing a new hammer into a Mini trigger group is not that difficult. Replacing the old hammer is a good place to start.

that's exactly what I've done. I believe that will take care of it as the secondary sear looks like it can be salvaged. We'll find out :)

Just for fun I called Ruger, and their answer was to send them the whole rifle and they'd let me know how much it would cost. I'll pass on that.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
:roll: Calling the ATF with unsubstantiated suspicions is NOT the thing to do. There is NO "proof" of anything and the ATF IS NOT your friend ! Despite what some may think, all alterations to a firearm are not illegal. If that was the case, most of us would already be in jail.
The OP needs to fix the firearm and move on to enjoying it and some of the rest of us need to lighten up. :wink:

I agree, at best they ATF are going to ignore you... if they don't, guess what? you are gong to lose your rifle!

I'd call accuracy systems or one of the other gun smiths mentioned in previous post on this list and tell them what you found and see if they can give you a price not only for a new hammer and sear (?) installed but tune up the trigger at the same time. I've never done it but don't know why you could not just mail/ship the trigger group only to them.

I would think, You should be looking at less than a hundred bucks.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
ab4ka, Once you have opened a "can of worms", it can be very difficult to put the "lid" back on it! You don't know who or why, did the "modifications"! You only know "who" you bought it from. Were I you, I would have sent it back to Ruger as there may be "other" issues you do not know about with the gun!.............................Dick :wink:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
This is clearly an illegal gun no matter what some here will say.
The previous owner was obviously trying a homemade Full auto
Modification. And it can land you 10 years in the Pokie my friend.
Best to just send the gun to me and let me take care of it, and I'll take
it free of charge... I'm just that kinda man.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Ah, you guys from Florida try to "sucker" everybody including the "snowbirds" from Maine!.................Dick :lol:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I keep waiting for my email from Numrich that my hammer has shipped. I'm sure once I replace that I'll be good. I may have to file the secondary sear a little but overall I think I'll be good.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":oi3oxp7j said:
This is clearly an illegal gun no matter what some here will say.
The previous owner was obviously trying a homemade Full auto
Modification. And it can land you 10 years in the Pokie my friend.
Best to just send the gun to me and let me take care of it, and I'll take
it free of charge... I'm just that kinda man.

:mrgreen: Obviously

Latest posts