Problem reloading 45 LCs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cadillo

Blackhawk
kantor99 said:
I think I'll buy some commercial reloads and see if the same problem develops. If not, then it's something I'm doing during reloading. If yes, then its the gun.

I would surely stay away from commercial reloads. That is just begging for trouble.

I'm sure some folks have had good experiences with brand A or brand B, but there are a lot of horror stories out there.

kantor99

Bearcat
I'm back. I tried loads of Trail Boss near the higher end of what Hogdon recommends and didn't have the problem again. So, that may have solved the problem. Also found that stronger loads are more fun to shoot. Now, I'm going to try some Universal and Titegroup loads near the maximum with 250gr. cast bullets and see what there're like.

kantor99

Bearcat
Both Titegroup and Universal loads worked out great. Seemed more accurate than the lighter loads and definitely more fun to shoot. The best pushed a 250 gr at about 940 ft./sec. Any recommendation for a load slightly faster than that with a 250 gr lead bullet?

Tellico

Buckeye
Large frame BH only!
250 gr LSWC with 13.5 HS-6 is my favorite target load. A 325 gr Cast performance or Wide flat nose GC with 24.0 gr H-110 or 296 at 1260 fps with 1157 pounds muzzle energy and 27,400 cup for the woods. We have big tough squirrels here! YMMV
Fred

Bucks Owin

Hunter
That 325 gr load is VERY STOUT and should be worked up to possibly IMHO...

I've shot it a few dozen times in my .45 Ruger and altho the cases fell out of the (oversize) chambers, I could see some imprinting on the recoil shield and pinched the cyl pin....

My Ruger has told me it "don't like that much W296 thank you very much".... :wink: (22.5 more accurate anyway in mine)

Particulars: New WW cases, LBT 315K .454" (325 grs) WLP
90+ degrees in the shade

PS: Hold on when you drop the hammer! :shock: :) 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
kantor99 said:
Both Titegroup and Universal loads worked out great. Seemed more accurate than the lighter loads and definitely more fun to shoot. The best pushed a 250 gr at about 940 ft./sec. Any recommendation for a load slightly faster than that with a 250 gr lead bullet?
The load for 45 Colt and Universal with a 250gr cast bullet is:

Universal 7.8gr - 941fps - 13,000 CUP

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Now if you would like a little more zip try 8.5gr or 9.0gr of Universal. That will still be fine for a New Vaquero. :D :D

BCB

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
It might be that your load is too light and that the case does not come back hard enough to re-seat the primer flush. It happens with powder-puff loads. If after firing one round the cylinder is hard to turn, pull that empty case, look at the primer, and then see if the cylinder spins freely. :D

Indeed...

Good-luck...BCB