Predictions for SHOT and NRA Convention

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JasonH

Bearcat
I thought it might be fun to pull out the ole crystal ball and make some educated guesses about what Ruger will introduce this year.

1. Improved Hawkeyes: kevlar/carbon fiber stock, adjustable trigger, free floated barrel, upgraded wood stocks, and perhaps a fluted barrel or two thrown in there.

2. .17 Hornady Hornet rifles: I would love to see Ruger introduce a modern varmint rig with a kevlar stock, heavy barrel (maybe carbon fiber wrapped), and adjustable trigger.

3. Shotguns: I am convinced that we will see some new shotgun designs, and I'm personally hoping for a semi-auto. Something nice and light along the lines of Weatherby's SA-08, but made with Ruger quality in the US of A.

4. Something to compete with GSG and Umarex. I believe there is a huge market for rimfire replicas of military weapons, and so far most of the popular ones seem to be made off-shore. I would personally love to see a scaled down M1 Garand with real wood furniture, or perhaps a scaled down BAR....how cool would those be? :D

How about everyone else? What do you guys see in the crystal ball?

Otony

Blackhawk
JasonH said:
4. Something to compete with GSG and Umarex. I believe there is a huge market for rimfire replicas of military weapons, and so far most of the popular ones seem to be made off-shore. I would personally love to see a scaled down M1 Garand with real wood furniture, or perhaps a scaled down BAR....how cool would those be? :D

How about everyone else? What do you guys see in the crystal ball?

I have always thought a scaled down military BAR in .223 would be a cool rifle to have!

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Anything that is not black and plastic. I realize Ruger is going after their biggest market. But dammit they are making enough money. Time to do something cool for us traditional guys such as:

A lightweight version of the Hawkeye along the lines of Savages lightweight hunter would be nice.

Big bore single actions.

Shotgun line

But my prediction is Ruger will enter the traditional design levergun market. With Marlin in the toilet quality wise and winchesters being nearly a grand or more the time is right. Knowing Ruger they could come real close to the price point of the various import levers that are gaining a following. With Rugers reputation and made in america I think they could take over the market very easily.

If it must be black and plastic I will take a upsized LCR chambered in 44 special.

jbadams66

Bearcat
I am guessing that they will bring out a shotgun similar to the benelli nova and also a semi auto. Maybe some changes to the hawkeye line but I doubt it with the American rifle.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I can say that NONE of the above are in the current 2012 catalog. Just sayin.

I realize Ruger is going after their biggest market. But dammit they are making enough money. Time to do something cool for us traditional guys

:confused: So they should stop going after the larger market where the higher sales and this more profits are and concentrate on smaller, less sales volume models? :confused: Ahh, business rule #1 - make $. ;)

JasonH

Bearcat
BlkHawk73, For the past several years Ruger has put out 2 catalogs....the regular catalog and a new product catalog. The 2012 new product catalog has not been released yet, hence the suspense and anticipation!

mike7mm08

Buckeye
BlkHawk73 said:
I can say that NONE of the above are in the current 2012 catalog. Just sayin.

I realize Ruger is going after their biggest market. But dammit they are making enough money. Time to do something cool for us traditional guys

:confused: So they should stop going after the larger market where the higher sales and this more profits are and concentrate on smaller, less sales volume models? :confused: Ahh, business rule #1 - make $. ;)

Not saying they should stop going after the larger market. Just saying that it should not be the only market they should go after. They are making a ton of profit on their new line. Enough so that it would drastically offset the low profit margins of their smaller market items.

As for the 2012 catalog that means nothing. Have any of Ruger's shot show or NRA releases been in the first edition catalog????

Don Lovel

Hunter
"Shotguns: I am convinced that we will see some new shotgun designs, and I'm personally hoping for a semi-auto. Something nice and light along the lines of Weatherby's SA-08, but made with Ruger quality in the US of A"

Uh, that would be the same high quality that single actions with crooked barrel alignments, poor fit and finish and newer high tech carry handguns recall for other serious problems are made with? Ruger's quality compared to say 1970 products is a joke

JasonH

Bearcat
Mr. Lovel, over the years I have seen major defects in almost every brand of firearm you can think of. I worked in a gunstore for about two years and I can tell you without a doubt that Ruger had far fewer complaints than any other manufacturer. If you look at manufacturer specific forums all over the internet you will find that manufacturing defects are a common occurance with most brands. Just look at the recent decline of Marlin and Remington after the Freedom Group takeover. Also, Taurus is exceptionally bad with some of their models. Ruger treats their customers exceptionally well and in my experience they always make things right in the end. Good luck getting such service from any other manufacturer, except perhaps Weatherby as they have always been very good as well. Unfortunately, we do not live in the age where production firearms are fit and finished by hand with extreme care as in the old days. Even hand fitted and finished guns such as custom 1911's have to be sent back once in awhile for minor defects. At least I know Ruger will stand behind their product, in some cases decades after it was purchased. I will take my chances with Ruger, as they are generally over-engineered and built to last. I too wish that manufacturers would "make'em like they used to", but I'm afraid the cost would be more than the average person is willing to pay. I believe that Ruger has found a nice balance between economy of production and quality. I have met several individuals that work for Strum Ruger, and I can assure you that they take pride in their work, and they are very passionate about the second amendment and the shooting sports.

I am looking into the crystal ball and I see.....

A new Ruger Shotgun...

A new SR1911 variant....no wait...they will not release that until NRA or SHOT2013 so as to not upset those of you who have NOT been able to purchase the 6700 model SR1911..

And finally, a Semi-Auto 308......

And then I woke up :cry:

Barry in IN

Bearcat
I think these kinds of predictions can fall into three rough categories:

Likely (something new, but expected for a while, maybe years)
Possible (but would be a surprise)
Unlikely (but possible- barely)

For Likely, I'd say:
-New semiauto shotgun. Maybe a similar pump.
-Commander size SR1911. A light alloy frame would be nice, but maybe in the "Possible" category.

Possible:
-O/U to replace Red Label.
-I have had a feeling for a few years they would introduce DA revolvers in auto calibers using some nifty extraction system like the old S&W 547.
-I used to wonder about a new auto cartridge, and had thought something in the .38 Super/9x23 class for "service size" guns. Now with the pocket pistol craze, maybe something like an extra short .40 for .380-sized guns. A 150-165 grain .40 bullet at 750-800 fps wouldn't interest me, but might sell. Whether it would fit in Ruger's .380 or would have to go in the 9mm, I don't know.

Unlikely (and really reaching):
-Cheaper semiauto .22 rifle. The 10-22 is still popular, but they've cheapened it up some with things like plastic barrel bands and I've heard some griping. Making something cheaper yet while "nicing up" the 10-22 could make 10-22 fans happy and still have something less costly to sell.
-Double rifle. Reasonably priced (for a double) at $1000-1500.
-Maybe combining a couple of things from above, and coming out with a new medium bore revolver cartridge. Make it a .40 caliber, with similar ballistics to the .40 S&W but with a longer case to keep pressures down. Call it the .40 Ruger Special. A rimless higher pressure .40 or 10mm would slip in too deep so it couldn't fire. With the reduced pressures it might fit in the SP-101 (five shot) and GP-100 (six-shot).

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I would love to see a K-frame size, six shot DA revolver that doesn't weigh a ton chambered in .38 Special or (please, please, please) .32 Magnum. They used to have one in the excellent Six series. Heck, it could be easily done by stretching the SP101 a bit, mebbe name it the GP-101. :wink: