powerful 357 load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My recipe is 18.0 grs LilGun/ 158 gr JHP for a snortin' and bellerin' load. It trots out at 1363 av vel from my 6" M-19 Combat Magnum.....(Sorry, I don't have an OM or FT Blackhawk .357 YET....) :wink:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Im quite fond of the Blue Dot magnum loads myself. Its my #1 powder for hot .357s. Good accuracy too.

Bones507

Bearcat
Quite some time ago i loaded some 125gr JHP,s with 17 grs of 2400, man talk about some muzzle blast and recoil !! Broke the hammer mounted firing pin on my 6 inch s+w 686, that was something to think about all right. The max load the Speer manual had at the time was 17.5 grs i think, i may be off by a 1/2 gr both ways, but i know im close.
Since then i go 1-2 grs over starting for 357,s as i am not fond of the flinch i start developing after a few cylinders of the hot stuff.

pps

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag":1pbqnk19 said:
From the Hodgdon website:
http://www.hodgdon.com/

110 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .357" 1.590" 22.0 1992 32,400 CUP 23.0 2078 37,200 CUP
125 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .357" 1.590" 21.0 1881 38,400 CUP 22.0 1966 41,400 CUP

This will ruin your forcing cone over time, and compressing loads is not what I want to do, but if you want flash and boom and 2000 fps well there you go. :shock:

...Jimbo

Not something I'd use in a model 19 or any gun prone to forcing cone issues. I have about 1K of the 125gr xtp's and plan on working up a speer #8 loading with SR4756. It's my understanding that this powder doesn't give as much flame cutting as H110 at max loadings with these light bullets.

http://www.bbhfarm.com/gallery/album17/aac?full=1

Starting load of 12 grains...max listed as 14 grains. Use caution, a chronograph, and a huge dose of common sense. This is OLD load data.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
revhigh":houyny36 said:
Shoot44":houyny36 said:
Concerning primers for 2400. Do NOT use magnum primers with the 'new' 2400. Some manuals actually TELL YOU not to, but others just don't mention it.!

Hey Shoot,

I've ALWAYS used Magnum primers with top end 2400 loads, new and old. What's the rationale for not using Mag primers ?

Thanks

REV

The rationale is that in the manual that I used for this particular 'recipe', it says, IN BOLD PRINT, iirc, that the data they give should NOT be used with mag primers, as it can cause an overpressure situation. If the manual you get your load from doesn't say that, then, . . . . who knows. But the one I was using DID, so I heeded their warning. (They also said there that the data given are NEW data, developed withOUT mag primers, and that they tried it, and got good results, so went with it.) I think it is thw Speer manual, BTW.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Bones507":3ssqxtug said:
Quite some time ago i loaded some 125gr JHP,s with 17 grs of 2400, man talk about some muzzle blast and recoil !! Broke the hammer mounted firing pin on my 6 inch s+w 686, that was something to think about all right. The max load the Speer manual had at the time was 17.5 grs i think, i may be off by a 1/2 gr both ways, but i know im close.

Hey, bones, that's the load I settled on for my Ruger 50th anniv 357! I love it! (You should see them out of a 4 5/8" barrel!)

But if you want more 'bang and flash', use 110 grain bullets over 'more' 2400. I won't say how much more, read the book, but it is really spectacular, - - - and still quite accurate, too!

And although I really appreciate Smith's, (and only own one), I would NOT shoot that load in one of them. As you see, they are NOT Rugers.

Jeff H

Bearcat
Well, now that I finally got some 2400 (it was out of stock locally for months) (couldn't go with the option of W296 because I couldn't get mag primers LOL) I went researching the amount of powder for the 158g LSWC that I want use, and I come up with 13.8-15.3 grains combining several sources. My Lee auto disk in its stock form will only drop 13.8 and 14.7, so until I get the 2 disk set and can experiment with the 15.1 and higher numbers, I'm stuck with just those two choices. Should be good enough for testing.

I may hand weigh a few, but what a pain in the a$$ that is.

Bones507

Bearcat
Shoot44":1dbqb3t7 said:
Bones507":1dbqb3t7 said:

Hey, bones, that's the load I settled on for my Ruger 50th anniv 357! I love it! (You should see them out of a 4 5/8" barrel!)

But if you want more 'bang and flash', use 110 grain bullets over 'more' 2400. I won't say how much more, read the book, but it is really spectacular, - - - and still quite accurate, too!

And although I really appreciate Smith's, (and only own one), I would NOT shoot that load in one of them. As you see, they are NOT Rugers.

Sorry i didnt see this sooner, missed the thread. Anyway, when i was shooting this load i went to an indoor range, one of the few times i did, and wanted to see how it shot. Well when i got there there was about 8 people there, some girls with their boyfriends or whatever, they were all shooting 9mms or less at like 3-5 foot distances, lol. Here i come with my 6 inch 686 and load up a cylinder and send the target out to 15 yards and BOOM, BOOM. I swear you should have seen the range stop cold and everyone was looking saying stuff like " What the hell is that?". I got a kick out of it, it was hot and loud though, i will say that. My buddy who worked there was nearby and looked at me smiled and shook his head and said something like "A little hot there, eh ?"
I would never shoot this load thru a Smith again, a GP-100, yes, a Blhwk, yes but a Smith, no.

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
dougader":2h6prds9 said:
. . .For more flash and bang, go with a 125 grain jhp and 20 grains of H110.

^ yeah, that.
Loaded some of those last weekend. Chronograph showed about 1450 fps from my 4" GP-100. And, the muzzle flash was visible in the daylight.

Crashbox

Bearcat
This is all really excellent information- I'm a noob to reloading so the more I cautiously read, the better.

When I get my brass I plan on using the starting load for 2400 recommended by my Lyman manual. The interesting thing about said manual is the .357 Magnum loads were developed using magnum primers which is what I have, so I'll use them in accordance with the Lyman manual... and, as always, keeping a diligent eye out for signs of overpressure as I do with factory ammo.

It's gonna be a lot more fun shooting my GP100 with less-expensive, homegrown ammunition!

jrc270

Bearcat
VihtaVuori N110 Powder - short extruded powder - meters accurately

Max Load by the latest VihtaVuori manual is 15.9 grains for a 158 grain jacketed bullet.

Not as snappy as H110... and very clean burning

from my GP100s with 15 grain loadings... (Federal 200 magnum primers, Hornady 158 grain HP/XTP)

3" barrel - 1,286 fps
4" barrel - 1,310 fps
6" barrel - 1,405 fps

H110, H4227, never came close... and I have not tried 2400. Basically I like extruded powders.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Brian Pearce had 2 excellent articles in the April 2006 Handloader about the 50th Anniversary BH and also .357 Mag heavy hunting handloads.

He obtained excellent results with either a 158gr Speer Gold Dot or Hornady HP/XTP and 16.6 gr WW-296. Muzzle velocity in the BH was around 1255fps. Accuracy was reported to be very good.

With the same bullets and 19.0 gr Lil'Gun he got 1400+ fps and excellent accuracy. There have been some reports of throat erosion and Lil'Gun, at least in 45 Colt (Freedom Arms has info on their website, I believe). However, I am not aware of problems in .357 Mag. I continue to use it in my BH loads and Marlin 1894-C loads if maximum velocity is the goal. In the carbine velocity is phenomenal, in 30-30 power category with a larger diameter bullet.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Jeff H":825kbxyt said:
Hi all, I'm looking for recommendations on a good powder to make full power 357 loads probably shooting 158 grain FMJ or SWC. These will only be shot out of my 6-1/2" Blackhawk which should be able to take any abuse that I can give it. :lol: ...

If I want top loads in 357 I'll go with one of those SINGLE base powders. As far as I know and seen, top loads using double base powders, especially with lighter bullets, will eat forcing cone rapidly. In that respect, I would go with IMR 4227. VVO N110 or similar, just my 0.2 cents...

So how do ya know if it is a single base powder. How do you know it is a ball vs extruded powder? I don't remember anything on the outside of cannister nor do I expect thr dealer to open it up for an examination of powder before buying.
gramps

Onty

Single-Sixer
gramps":2mc0vfjy said:
So how do ya know if it is a single base powder. How do you know it is a ball vs extruded powder? I don't remember anything on the outside of cannister nor do I expect thr dealer to open it up for an examination of powder before buying.
gramps

For Hodgdon and IMR look for MSDS sheets, they are here http://www.imrpowder.com/msds.html under "Section 3-COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGRIDIENTS" or "COMPONENT DATA" or "HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS". If both, nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin are listed, powder is double base.

See this one http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=851 for Vihtavuori powders:

N100 series

The N100 series powders are single base powders used mainly in rifle calibers. There are ten N100 series powders with different burning rates and suitability from the .17 Remington up to the .458 Winchester Magnum and two special powders for .50 BMG

N300 series

The N300 series powders are single base porous powders for handguns. There are altogether nine handgun powders with different kind of shooting properties and suitable applications

N500 series

The N500 series powders are impregnated extruded rifle powders with Nitroglycerol added as extra energy component. If higher loading densities and more energy are needed, N500 series powders are competent alternatives for the N100 series powders. N500 series High Energy powders are available in five different burning rates

Here are data from Alliant http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/msds.aspx

Also, in some manuals or on containers you might find print "DOUBLE BASE POWDER".

BTW, I have no proof that all double based powders are hard on barrel (and top strap) when loaded to max, however, there is plenty info on forums. Here are few links:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17315

http://208.67.249.138/forums/showthread.php?t=205634

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... p?t=279128

Now, since there are single base powders for almost any load level, I just don't bother with double base ones.

Be aware that any powder at high pressure will cause forcing cone and top strap erosion to certain degree, double base powders are just harder on guns than single ones.

In other words, if I want certain power level that's top load in 357 BH like 180-200 gr at 1200 fps or more, in 41 magnum this is just moderate load, and that's the reason I sold Bisley 357 and got Bisley 41.

Jeff H

Bearcat
Hi all who have contributed to this thread since I started it in July. I love a good thread.

I have settled on 15g of 2400 over a 158g LSWC for the moment. It seems to perform as good or better than factory loads as far as accuracy and recoil and overall I like it ( I don't have a Chrono). Lots of bang. :D AND leading is almost a non issue after 100 rounds or more. There is a bit in there but a little Chore Boy and it is gone in a few strokes of the bore brush.

I need to find a source of LSWC that don't have a beveled base. That should minimize the leading which isn't much to begin with.

Merle1948

Buckeye
Jeff H":19463ijw said:
Hi all who have contributed to this thread since I started it in July. I love a good thread.

I have settled on 15g of 2400 over a 158g LSWC for the moment. It seems to perform as good or better than factory loads as far as accuracy and recoil and overall I like it ( I don't have a Chrono). Lots of bang. :D AND leading is almost a non issue after 100 rounds or more. There is a bit in there but a little Chore Boy and it is gone in a few strokes of the bore brush.

I need to find a source of LSWC that don't have a beveled base. That should minimize the leading which isn't much to begin with.

If you are casting your own you can experiment with different alloys & lubes.
You can also try dropping the bullets into a pan of water or heat tempering them for extra hardness.

If you are buying them, you can try asking the manufacturer if they offer any options in hardness, or even try another brand.

8) 8) 8)

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jeff H":1r2rj568 said:

That load should be a rip snorter alright. I wouldn't increase it and I'd watch seating depth recommendations/bullet type. That load could jump already near max pressures with a deep seated bullet. I'm kinda leery of 2400 in "redline" loads, and I think there are better suited powders these days. You should be getting near 1500 fps....JMO, Dennis