Poway Gun Works....Memories

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
As a new member, and currently on medical LOA for a recent surgery and limited to minimal physical activity, I have been spending a lot of time scrolling and reading the various forums available here. I have been thoroughly enjoying them. Many memories have been jogged. I have already ran across another Navy Vet that knew some of the same folks I did, including a very good friend. Small world.

Just this morning, I was reading posts in this Ammunition, Gunsmithing, & Reloading forum and came across a surprise that brought many great memories of my time in Southern California. The OP (from a 2009 post) was asking for recommendations for Mini14 work....and a member mentioned Poway Gun Works. That's a real blast from the past for me. I knew the owners Ray Peet and Bill Simpson well. Ray took me under his wing and showed me many things about smithing 1911s and others. I remember Ray showing me how to stone/fit a 1911 trigger. He was very patient.... My very first handgun I owned was a Ruger Security Six. It was the first revolver I ever completely disassembled, polished, tuned, and reassembled. All under the watchful eye of Bill, who was a great guy but not as patient as Ray...I remember fitting Millet Series 100 front and rear sights on that gun...bill handed me the sights, files, a punch and a brass hammer. Explained what to do, and said "get to it and I don't want to see any love marks"....well, I still have that Security Six...and it has several love marks lol. I think of Bill every time I hold it

I spent a lot of time in both Poway Gun Works Shops (they moved to a new shopping center around '87 I think) on both sides of the counter. I met a lot of great folks that hung out there. Together we worked on guns, shot, and hunted. I could go on with many memories but won't bore you. These memories being jogged are keeping my mind off my recovery, reminding me of a time everything was so good. I only wish my Son could find a Gun Shop and folks the caliber of Ray, Bill and the others I met there.

contender

Ruger Guru
Glad you are visiting us here. But hey,, "Get Well Soon!"

I've never heard of Poway,, but I have had the pleasure of a few places that were similar.

keep hanging around,, you never know who or what will pop up!

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Glad you are visiting us here. But hey,, "Get Well Soon!"

I've never heard of Poway,, but I have had the pleasure of a few places that were similar.

keep hanging around,, you never know who or what will pop up!

Thank you Sir. Total Knee replacement this past JAN and unfortunately was diagnosed with kidney cancer and had that surgery a couple weeks ago. Been doing a lot of reading...

Poway is in the San Diego area, close to NAS Miramar (or what was NAS, it belongs to the Marines now). I was stationed out there '85 to '91.

I intend to hang around. Some good reads so far. Still a lot to learn and enjoy from so many.

Chief 101

Hunter
You selected a great forum and welcome.
NAS=Naval Air Station
MCAS=Marine Corps Air Station
MCAS Miramar
I did a bit training there in the 60s

Last edited:
thanks agin guys for your service, and nice to hear a few tales from that far west coast area,like I said my BIL Richie G., from the Enterprise lived in that area actually El CaJon, and my SIL worked for that big auto wrecking yard, I believe it was "Ricks" across the road from the big ship builders ..I was there back in the early 80s for a visit as well as over to my Moms up , the coast on McAurthur Blvd in Oakland,,,nice visit but the ground shook about every day.... ha ha.... did make it across the border to Tijuana where his 'buddies' used to install car interiors, literally while you waited and did some "shopping" ( and it was ALL leather !!!!):cool::rolleyes:;)

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
thanks agin guys for your service, and nice to hear a few tales from that far west coast area,like I said my BIL Richie G., from the Enterprise lived in that area actually El CaJon, and my SIL worked for that big auto wrecking yard, I believe it was "Ricks" across the road from the big ship builders ..I was there back in the early 80s for a visit as well as over to my Moms up , the coast on McAurthur Blvd in Oakland,,,nice visit but the ground shook about every day.... ha ha.... did make it across the border to Tijuana where his 'buddies' used to install car interiors, literally while you waited and did some "shopping" ( and it was ALL leather !!!!):cool::rolleyes:;)

El Cajon was south of base. Had several buds that lived there and frequented it often. Tijuana, or "TJ" as we called it was frequented often as well, and for some was a near land of no return lol. Sailors/Marines found themselves in trouble too easily down there. I preferred Ensenada. Not as easy to get into trouble and great beach.

Chief

Single-Sixer
As a new member, and currently on medical LOA for a recent surgery and limited to minimal physical activity, I have been spending a lot of time scrolling and reading the various forums available here. I have been thoroughly enjoying them. Many memories have been jogged. I have already ran across another Navy Vet that knew some of the same folks I did, including a very good friend. Small world.

Just this morning, I was reading posts in this Ammunition, Gunsmithing, & Reloading forum and came across a surprise that brought many great memories of my time in Southern California. The OP (from a 2009 post) was asking for recommendations for Mini14 work....and a member mentioned Poway Gun Works. That's a real blast from the past for me. I knew the owners Ray Peet and Bill Simpson well. Ray took me under his wing and showed me many things about smithing 1911s and others. I remember Ray showing me how to stone/fit a 1911 trigger. He was very patient.... My very first handgun I owned was a Ruger Security Six. It was the first revolver I ever completely disassembled, polished, tuned, and reassembled. All under the watchful eye of Bill, who was a great guy but not as patient as Ray...I remember fitting Millet Series 100 front and rear sights on that gun...bill handed me the sights, files, a punch and a brass hammer. Explained what to do, and said "get to it and I don't want to see any love marks"....well, I still have that Security Six...and it has several love marks lol. I think of Bill every time I hold it

I spent a lot of time in both Poway Gun Works Shops (they moved to a new shopping center around '87 I think) on both sides of the counter. I met a lot of great folks that hung out there. Together we worked on guns, shot, and hunted. I could go on with many memories but won't bore you. These memories being jogged are keeping my mind off my recovery, reminding me of a time everything was so good. I only wish my Son could find a Gun Shop and folks the caliber of Ray, Bill and the others I met there.
I lived in San Diego and El Cajon for 25 years. Hell I was born in the OLD Balboa Naval Hospital! I remember the Powys Gun Works well. There were also a couple of goods gun stores in El Cajon.,,One was Hiram's Guns and Spirits. It was a combo gun shop and liquor store. Yep back then you could buy a Colt 45 to shoot AND drink! LOL. My wife and I rented a house from the resident gunsmith there, Rex Hinman. Great guy, good 'smith and former Naval CDR. He built me a custom 1903 OTC rifle. Still shoots great. Down the road from Hiram's over on Broadway was the El Cajon Gun Exchange. Lou, the proprietor was a good friend and I got most of my collection of S&W there.
I left the area in '97 never to return. I would have those days again.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I lived in San Diego and El Cajon for 25 years. Hell I was born in the OLD Balboa Naval Hospital! I remember the Powys Gun Works well. There were also a couple of goods gun stores in El Cajon.,,One was Hiram's Guns and Spirits. It was a combo gun shop and liquor store. Yep back then you could buy a Colt 45 to shoot AND drink! LOL. My wife and I rented a house from the resident gunsmith there, Rex Hinman. Great guy, good 'smith and former Naval CDR. He built me a custom 1903 OTC rifle. Still shoots great. Down the road from Hiram's over on Broadway was the El Cajon Gun Exchange. Lou, the proprietor was a good friend and I got most of my collection of S&W there.
I left the area in '97 never to return. I would have those days again.
Hiram's rings a bell for some reason. Most of my time was spent at Poway Gun Works but I also frequented Duncans Guns in Escondido. There were a couple others but can't recall names....like the one that opened up on Miramar Road a couple miles from base....it was right next to Roberto's where we often grabbed lunch. I long for a Roberto's or Alberto's chicken burrito with hot sauce!

I left that area a few years before you. Got orders to Norfolk VA (USS George Washington Weaps Dept/RSO). I never returned either. I would definitely have those southern cal days back again....but I think its an entirely different place now....one we most likely wouldn't agree with.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Hiram's rings a bell for some reason. Most of my time was spent at Poway Gun Works but I also frequented Duncans Guns in Escondido. There were a couple others but can't recall names....like the one that opened up on Miramar Road a couple miles from base....it was right next to Roberto's where we often grabbed lunch. I long for a Roberto's or Alberto's chicken burrito with hot sauce!

I left that area a few years before you. Got orders to Norfolk VA (USS George Washington Weaps Dept/RSO). I never returned either. I would definitely have those southern cal days back again....but I think its an entirely different place now....one we most likely wouldn't agree with.
You are so right my friend, we wouldn't/don't agree!
Man I almost forgot about Roberto's! Alberto's good too. Now you have got my mouth watering for one of those burritos! Say did you ever get invited to one of those FRAMP AO parties? Had one every year around late Oct I think. They named them DRUNKEX and then the year number, as in DRUNKEX 87. Great times.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
You are so right my friend, we wouldn't/don't agree!
Man I almost forgot about Roberto's! Alberto's good too. Now you have got my mouth watering for one of those burritos! Say did you ever get invited to one of those FRAMP AO parties? Had one every year around late Oct I think. They named them DRUNKEX and then the year number, as in DRUNKEX 87. Great times.
All the AO parties were DRUNKEX lol. A couple VF124 AOs were A School classmates. I do recall one of the crazy ones at a VF124 place in La Mesa. Place was destroyed. Next morning guys/girls were passed out over the place. Even on top of cars. But then like I said most AO parties were like that. Especially after a westpac.

I crave those burritos constantly. My youngest Son loves Mexican food. Went to his boot camp graduation yesterday at RTC Great Lakes. Not has that place changed since 1984! Was at Ohare Airport with him from 0100 this morning until he boarded at 0600 headed to California for A School… I shook his hand (after my wife and daughters hugged and cried all over his dress whites lol) and told him to kick ass in school and enjoy the REAL Mexican food!

Chief

Single-Sixer
Well that's great! Good on him! So future ORDI?
I have never been to Great Lakes. I summered in San Diego NTC. Closed now , but little of it left.
I was the Power Plant instructor at the FRAMP from '80-84 and got a return trip as the Maintenance Chief '87-90. Good times.
So did you get to see any of Illinois finest city( so called)? I live about 4 hours south.
Good luck to your son and best wishes to your family.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Well that's great! Good on him! So future ORDI?
I have never been to Great Lakes. I summered in San Diego NTC. Closed now , but little of it left.
I was the Power Plant instructor at the FRAMP from '80-84 and got a return trip as the Maintenance Chief '87-90. Good times.
So did you get to see any of Illinois finest city( so called)? I live about 4 hours south.
Good luck to your son and best wishes to your family.

Thanks we are definitely proud and he's Pumped. The graduation was incredible. THU night they did a meet in greet for all the recruit families in Gurnee. A guy named Sarge puts it on. Fantastic person. There were over 400 people there. All divisions are represented. He put out a fantastic spread of food. He and his Wife have done this for over 12 years every night prior to graduation. Incredible time. He even had a tribute to Vets. Had us all go up on stage, handed us the mike and we had to sate name, branch, and who we were there for. It was much appreciated and emotional.

Graduation was awesome. I stood there in 1984 and now my youngest stood there. It was an amazing feeling walking up to him when they announced "Now hear this..liberty call...liberty call". My Wife, Daughter, and his Girlfriend rushed to him....i'm still recovering and a bit slow. His eyes stayed locked on me. Soon as I got to him I shook his hand, and he said "Dad it was everything you said it would be. Thank you for raising me how you did, I have something for you"....he reached in his back pocket and presented me with a Sailors Creed challenge coin and said "Hooyah Dad, thank you". I will admit, it was tough to hold back the overwhelming flood of emotion.

Anyhow, no he's not going Ordnance. It was his back up. He's going CM with the Seabees. In fact he's already at NCTC in Port Hueneme California. After graduation we took him back to the Air BnB we rented in Libertyville. Fed him and he wanted to watch a movie with us all. Entire family went out there but only 4 allowed at Graduation but the others got to see him before we took him back to base. He had to be back or 2045 muster. His flight out of Ohare was at 0700 SAT. We were allowed to meet him at the terminal and go through security and stay with him at gate until boarding. We were there from 0100 until he boarded.

It was a great to spend time with him. But the travel was terrible. Yesterday morning Southwest advised us out flight from Ohare to Baltimore was cancelled. Spent hours on the phone and finally got booked on a flight this morning out of Midway. Crazy morning. Up at 0245 to get my Daughters and Grandson to Ohare for their 0600 flight to TN. Dropped them off and the rest of us headed up to Midway for our 0700 flight. To top it off...the rental car agency flipped out because we wanted to return the rental at Midway. Not our fault the flight was cancelled and we were rerouted to Midway lol. Another kicker is they said they couldn't return the vehicle because it was already returned. lol. I was in no mood to debate. I was tired and suffering from pizza overload from a place recommended to us in Buffalo Grove last night.

We intended to sight see yesterday but dealing with the airline and rental car debacle took up much of yesterday. We did see a "show" of sorts this morning when getting gas at 0400 just outside Midway. A car load of spaced out meth heads were trying to get gas and something was going on inside the car we couldn't figure out. Probably didn't want to. A prostitute was working the cars turning into the side street by the gas station. It was a guy in drag....a block down the street at a red light was another "lady" of the night who began walking up to us. Also turned out to be a man in drag and reminded me of the one in the movie Risky Business.....I looked at the folks in my vehicle and said "and that folks was the finest Illinois has to offer...Chicago style"...lol...not knocking Illinois....I was born there and have family there from Mom and Dads sides.....mostly in and around Downers Grove.

Chief

Single-Sixer
Well I guess you got the full tour! Chicago and Cook county never disappoint when it comes to odd situations. Illinois, like California before it is pretty much a lost cause. I only stay here because my Dad is getting older and needs some loved ones around.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Well I guess you got the full tour! Chicago and Cook county never disappoint when it comes to odd situations. Illinois, like California before it is pretty much a lost cause. I only stay here because my Dad is getting older and needs some loved ones around.
Completely understandable.

Latest posts