Which of these gun bluing products would you recommend ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I have four bluing products here. I want to do some touch up on the bluing on a early New model Blackhawk pre barrel warning. Which one of these do you think will give the best results far as it's use and future wear ? # 1 Oxpho Blue by Brownells. # 2 44/40 by Brownells. # 3 Wonder Blue # 4 Perma Blue by Birthwood Casey. I already have these 4 products, but I am open to sugestions if you have a better product in mind.

INLINECHEVY6.

they all work, just follow the directions, but remember they are ALL "cold blues" and are temporary, can and will clean ,polish off...I've used them all in our shops over the years ONLY for touch up as we did hot bluing....yes a bit of heat "helps" you can even burnish with the palm of your hand, over and over a few times this seems to 'help' a bit,but with a good cleaner or too much rubbing as some folks tend to do,,they will come off and most of them do NOT "blend" in with the surrounding areas of bluing especially Colts or S&W ,,,,,,,,NONE of them work properly(n)
that being said, on Rugers in a pinch I usually use the 44-40..........;)

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I bought my Blackhawk used. It must have had some minor rust at some point before I got it. There is a bald spot on the top strap in front of the rear sight and another bald spot on the barrel, but no pitting. I just want to clean it up a little. If I were to have it hot blued by a pro, it would be too nice and never be shot. I have several very nice Rugers I never shoot because they are too nice. I bought my first handgun a S S New Model Ruger Blackhawk in 1980 and have fired less than a full box of shells thru it and that is why I bought the blued one to shoot.

Last edited:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've had the best luck with 44/40, but I've noticed that different products work more or less well on different types of steel.

got any pictures of the "bald spots"??? that may be an indication of the top strap and the barrel having been drilled and tapped for a scope mount.........not any reason for a "bald" spot,unless a drop of blood or even coca cola drop on the surface, they will remove the bluing almost instantly.....as snake noted above he is spot on that various cold blues act differently on some gunmakers....depend again on just what part of the gun needs it, as the heat treat may vary from part to part............. good prep and preclean is the key..........;)

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
The bald spots are where somebody gor carried away with a Scotch Brite pad or course steel wool to remove minor suface rust. Both the spots are about the size of a nickel. When the weather gets a little warmer, I will clean the gun well and refinsh the spots. The gun doesn't need to be perfect as it is a shooter. If it had beed drilled and tapped, I would not have bought it.

INLINECHEVY6.

Last edited:

IKE

Single-Sixer
I've tried just about all of them through the years and Van's has always worked the best for me.

van's.jpg