Pot Liquor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There was a Netflix cooking series about Southern Soul Foods. All the contestants were African American and they talked about Pot Liquor. I've never heard that term anywhere else in cooking…and i have a culinary arts degree.

I do like lots of Southern Soul foods, even collard greens. They can be delicious or disgusting depending upon the cook. 😀.

I like the history of how that food came about.

Pot Liquor is the liquid in the vegetables that they were cooked in. ( Horrible sentence structure). The veggies should be cooked with a streak of lean onions and for the green beans some brown Suger. I am not African Amered you could cook meat without frying it.ican but the family has long Southern history. I think I was a teenager before I learned you could cook meat without frying it. 😉

"There was a Netflix cooking series about Southern Soul Foods. All the contestants were African American and they talked about Pot Liquor. I've never heard that term anywhere else in cooking…and i have a culinary arts degree."

My Great Grand Dad Foreaker, born in 1876, always put the "pot liquor" on his biscuits or cornbread. He was a white dude who probably never heard of soul food. And thinking about it, it's hard for me to believe I knew a man born in 1876.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I thinking not a lot is stills any more. But I could be wrong.
Maybe not a lot, but still a lucrative hobby. Most backwood stills run about fifty gallons. Bringing in just over $100/gallon makes it pretty worthwhile. And not too many revenuers are willing to probe too deep into the woods to fetch them out.

Bob Wright

In my great-grandpaents' Missouri home, pot likker was the juice remaining in the Sunday dinner roasting pan where a big pot roast had been slowly cooked with potatoes, carrots, onions and whatever else had been handy early in the morning. This was eagerly "sopped up" with the homemade biscuits. Yum! 😁 😁 😁

Mike J

Hunter
I am not african-american. I don't really know anything about soul food. I have been putting collards, turnips or mustard greens over split open corn bread & letting the juice run in & eating it my whole life.
Growing up Dad worked as a mechanic. He worked on commission. If you could beat the book you could make great money but if nothing came in you didn't make squat. There were times we ate really well. There were times we lived on pinto beans & cornbread & were grateful to have them. Later on he took a Service Manager job. He didn't make more money than the mechanics but he was salaried. It was steady money.
I still like all of it. If it weren't for beans & cornbread poor people in the South would have died out hundreds of years ago.

I always thought it funny watching the black comedies on TV back in the '70's and when they would start listing the 'soul food' they were going to eat. it's what I grew up with....

There really ain't nothing like some good pot liquor to sop up the last of the corn bread.

But of course those over cooked beans had either a good hunk of fatback or at least a thick slice of bacon in the pot with them.

I always thought it funny watching the black comedies on TV back in the '70's and when they would start listing the 'soul food' they were going to eat. it's what I grew up with....

There really ain't nothing like some good pot liquor to sop up the last of the corn bread.

But of course those over cooked beans had either a good hunk of fatback or at least a thick slice of bacon in the pot with them.
Mom called it streak of lean

Latest posts