Collards are in the pot!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
We bought 12 lbs of collards from a local farm a couple of days ago and are cooking them up now for Thursday. We called the gentleman up, gave him our order, and he said he'll go out into his field and cut them right away and will call us when they are ready. You can't get them much fresher than that.

I actually really love collard greens. If a bbq place has them on their menu, I’ll order them. But I don’t think I could eat 12 pounds worth!

Good luck with ‘em!

We bought 12 lbs of collards from a local farm a couple of days ago and are cooking them up now for Thursday. We called the gentleman up, gave him our order, and he said he'll go out into his field and cut them right away and will call us when they are ready. You can't get them much fresher than that.
Sounds great. Between bought at the store and also what we can go out and pick we love greens of all kinds: collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion and even poke sallet. :)

Yeah Buddies and Lady, I'll be collecting those collards this afternoon. I have a giant ham bone and a splash of bacon drippings. I'm cooking them for 17 of my family members that will be together Thanksgiving, Ms Linda will be baking her famous pe-can bars, she has have received orders from my Sister for double the amount over last year. We'll be giving extra thanks for sure as my family gathers, my Brother has beat his cancer.

sc1911cwp

Single-Sixer
We have a Local Farmer who grows Farm to Table. Everyweek we can get a variety of vegetables at a reasonable cost. He also provides the same to about 300 subscribers and Restaurants. He notifies us by Text with what is offered that week. Enjoy those Greens!

OMG is right, you haven't had collards since your Navy days. Man you have deprived yourself of food from the heavens. You need to find yourself a southern family and come down and eat with us. It's something we cook all winter, collards and pinto beans, collards and fried potatoes, collards and fried catfish, collards and cornbread. Heck we eat collards with collards;)

Mike J

Hunter
With bacon grease?

Bob Wright

We don't usually use bacon grease unless that is all we have available. We usually use fatback with greens.

Collards are good. I remember when I was kid & after the growing season we would clean off my grandfather's garden spot. Then we would scratch up a corner of it & sow turnip seed with a little mustard seed mixed in. The mustard greens mixed in would give it a little twang. Greens are good eating & good for you.

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
Not bacon grease or ham hocks. We used "seasoning meat", with a strip of fat and a strip of lean smoked pork. It says "Pepper jowls" on the label. It smells like what a old smokehouse used to smell like. Good Stuff! The 12 lbs will be for the family dinner and we will freeze the rest of what isn't eaten for New Year's and later.

Last edited:

ole442

Single-Sixer
Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Sounds great. Between bought at the store and also what we can go out and pick we love greens of all kinds: collard, mustard, turnip, dandelion and even poke sallet. :)
My Grandmother would come over to the house when I was a kid and walk around the yard and say don't pull this or that weed! She'd come back in a week and pull the "weeds" and take them home for Poke Salad! LOL! Raising 9 kids on a small farm up a holler in the hills of Eastern Kentucky during the Great Depression gives you a good idea of alternate edibles! Me.....I've not yet acquired a taste for greens! Maybe during the next Depression......but I have a feeling that the next one won't be so "Great"! LOL

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
powwowell, Deep Run, NC brings back so many memories. My grandparents lived in Kinston and I also had relatives in Pink Hill. I used to drive through Deep Run when I was traveling back and forth visiting them when I was a student at UNC-W.

Lt Choate

Bearcat
Well, my wife just made a big skillet of cornbread so we should get together. Nothing goes better with greens than cornbread.

Latest posts