Red Dot vs Scope for Handgun Hunting

• Red Dot (tube style & holographic)

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Scope (Fixed and/or Variable Power)

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

Nowata

Single-Sixer
short range weapon(revolver)-short range sighting system(red dot). My Bisley Hunter wears a 1.5moa red dot

woodperson

Single-Sixer
All I have is the Red Dot. I like it fine. For me a scope would be harder to shoot because it magnifies the wobbles and causes more pressure.

750k2

Bearcat
I've used both and prefer red dot.
Even a 2x scope seems to much for hunting to me.
Plus the dot is much faster.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Out to 50 yards or a bit more, a dot.

If I had a "handgun" capable of reaching out to 150 or more, definitely a scope.

Frankly, on real handguns, I just prefer iron sights, preferably the old S&W Red Ramp/White Outline sight picture. :wink:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I voted for scope. I had a Redhawk with a Burris scope on it & that combo worked good. To bad I needed some cash at the time. Wish I still had it.
My question is for everyone with the red dots, have you had any problems with them breaking or not holding zero from the heavy recoil?

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I have a scope on my sbh hunter; but if doing it again, I would probably go red dot.
Just cannot see in that scope in low light conditions.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
For long range and for deliberate shooting as in varmint hunting, a scope is superior. For shorter range and/or the need to shoot quickly, a red dot is much better. The red dot has non-critical eye relief and aligns immediately.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Tried both. I ended up going back to the scope. I realized that the light-gathering characteristic of the scope helps in getting a good aim in low light situations. The dot is easier to see, but harder to aim when all you see in the lens is gray shadows.
Just my personal preference.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
If I plan to be without the benefit of a rest, I'd go with a dot. Rested, I'd take a scope. 2X Leupold is pretty fast to get on target. 4X and up allows more precision if time permits.

barber

Bearcat
I like the Red Dot, and have NO problems in low light. I use the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 , which replaced my Bushnell Holosight.

Fletchman

Bearcat
I use a burris 2x handgun scope on my Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2 inch. Mostly for deer hunting but for close range elk would be a great gun as well. I went with a scope as the Burris was on sale and deer season was upon me. I had no experience with reflex sights and didnt have time to research and shop for one.
The scope is great for deer but I do want to get a Reflex for pig hunting. I want a Trijicon RMR when I save up enough "rathole money". They are expensive but have heard nothing but great things about them. I have a wiegand "wiegetany" rail for mounting. It's a no drill system that uses the front and rear sight for securing.

scopes are by far better, especially from 40 yards out. open sights under 40 yards. you can lay prone and easily pick off an animal at 100 yards with a 4x or variable scope on a revolver with medium power. on a single shot with practice out to 250 yards plus with a quality scope.