poll on sr9 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Has your SR9 "Peened" or had other problems?

• yes, i've had problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nope, no problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

deputy125

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ":3sxwisc1 said:
OK, so what does this poll tell you? I'll bet if it had been 3% problems/ 97% no problems some would be saying "see, told you no big deal".

well, i have read all responses with interest. and what this poll/topic has told me is
1. .the percentages are troubling (to me) as i thought the return rate was exceedingly high.
2. Most like the platform enough to not abandon it
3. Ruger service is top notch.......always heard it was. I've never needed/used it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
deputy125":u1m3fmmu said:
ArmedinAZ":u1m3fmmu said:
OK, so what does this poll tell you? I'll bet if it had been 3% problems/ 97% no problems some would be saying "see, told you no big deal".

well, i have read all responses with interest. and what this poll/topic has told me is

1. .the percentages are troubling (to me) as i thought the return rate was exceedingly high.
2. Most like the platform enough to not abandon it
3. Ruger service is top notch.......always heard it was. I've never needed/used it.

Nice spin !!!!

1. One out of three defective items is just slightly disturbing, ESPECIALLY since it's only a firearm.

2. Most owners CAN'T abandon the platform without losing 50% or more of their investment .... which most owners are NOT PREPARED TO DO.

3. Ruger's service is perceived to be top-notch because there's so many reports of people needing it lately, and the fact that they FIX their defective products should be EXPECTED, not REVERED as something over and above the call of duty to paying customers. Really good service would be if there was no service needed. Good service starts with a quality product that isn't defective a third of the time ....

I don't know why they don't just fix the CAUSE, rather than the RESULT of the CAUSE, after it's sent back to them ....

REV

deputy125

Bearcat
no "spin" intended......... :)

and indeed a 32% return rate is enough to scare me off......

as far as loosing an investment, never really occurred to me as i've been "loosing" for years :lol: ....... at least while trading with gun shops. For me, if i don't like or have need for a gun, it becomes trading material for something i can use and want......and at times i take a hicky for it. But i'm loosing more (in a sense) over-all by hanging onto an unwanted/unliked gun. When funds are short i generally have to do some trading to get into another gun. Guns i like i tend to hang on to and therefore make the best investment as they get used.

i am glad to hear thar ruger service appears to be better than my experiences with some other gun companies.

And i totally agree that the apparent problems should be addressed before they leave the factory instead of at return time. i may check on the sr9 again in a year to see if the factory has addressed the problems in-house. The general platform and features still appeal to me. Execution or design flaws is now what i am wondering about.

revhigh

Hawkeye
deputy125":3llzjexs said:
a 32% return rate is enough to scare me off......

Guns i like i tend to hang on to and therefore make the best investment as they get used.

i am glad to hear thar ruger service appears to be better than my experiences with some other gun companies.

Keep in mind that I only got that percentage from the informal survey done right here on the forum. It could be more .... or less ... I don't know.

I also hang onto good guns, and dump bad ones. To be honest though, it's very rare gun that I lose more than $25 or so on a gun sale or trade. I think this is due to the fact that I'm very patient when looking for a gun, and I have so many that I don't 'need' any gun. It allows you to be very discriminating when making offers or accepting deals.

Ruger's service has been and still is very good. It's just a shame that so many people actually need it !

REV

deputy125

Bearcat
well, you are a better trader than i am!!! :lol:

locally, the shops are few. And when i get the trade fever, i'm probably my own worse enemy.

I posted the poll here on rugerforum.com because i believe it to be the largest dedicated ruger forum on the net and i would get the largest amount of responses here.....I am interested in the sr9 so i did the poll
60+ votes is a very low amount of responses for a handgun that has sold in the thousands. But still, i had no idea the return percentages would be this high. It ain't science, but it's the best i can do for my purposes.

cwl1862

Bearcat
I've owned my SR-9 for over a year now, not sure how many rounds I've put through it, but I've never had a single problem with mine, other than a stiff magazine release button with a full mag, but I don't consider this a function problem with the firearm, as I don't believe I'll be changing full mags in the middle of a fire fight, hell if I need more than 18 rds of 9mm as a civilian I need to be elsewhere & fast! It's one of my main carry guns, and it's a joy to shoot. I remember when there were many complaints about the S&W 39/59 platforms. FTF, FTE, etc. Well I've owned a M-39 for well over 25 years now and never had a problem with it. You have to take all poll's with a grain of salt, remembering those whom are experiencing problems will complain more readily and more frequently than those who are not, and many people who are not having problems don't want to bother with poll's in the first place

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
cwl1862":116ifln9 said:
You have to take all poll's with a grain of salt, remembering those whom are experiencing problems will complain more readily and more frequently than those who are not, and many people who are not having problems don't want to bother with poll's in the first place

There it is. :? This poll has no value because there are more unhappy SR9 owners on the forum complaining than happy satified owners who won't bother to push a button. Of course those experiencing problems complain more readily than those who are not, why would those without problems complain?

Not picking a fight with you cwl, but I disagree. I suspect (and hope) that the problem rate isn't 32%, but that that number indicates there is a higher than (usual, normal, expected, allowable, etc) problem with this gun that causes owners to seek out answers to their problem.

jhearne

Buckeye
ArmedinAZ":22j9jxqr said:
cwl1862":22j9jxqr said:
You have to take all poll's with a grain of salt, remembering those whom are experiencing problems will complain more readily and more frequently than those who are not, and many people who are not having problems don't want to bother with poll's in the first place

There it is. :? This poll has no value because there are more unhappy SR9 owners on the forum complaining than happy satified owners who won't bother to push a button. Of course those experiencing problems complain more readily than those who are not, why would those without problems complain?

Not picking a fight with you cwl, but I disagree. I suspect (and hope) that the problem rate isn't 32%, but that that number indicates there is a higher than (usual, normal, expected, allowable, etc) problem with this gun that causes owners to seek out answers to their problem.

While his statement isn't 100% on the nose the reason for the results, he is close and correct in a way. Internet [forum] polls should be taken lightly.

A) Your only polling the members here, nowadays it isn't odd to find a new member in search of info or help or opinions. But this doesn't mean that the ratio of satisfied/unsatisfied customers is proportional to the other SR9 owners not on RF.com. I've had people email me directly through the SR9 How-To I made to thank me or ask questions. They don't feel the need to get on RF because they don't have issues, just wanted to do a quick F/B.

B) Not everyone here is going to answer, some people don't read the forums daily, some may only check in weekly due to work or other family issues/events. You get the ones who do answer and you get the results of the ones who do participate in this forum.

It's only a fair representation of the members here willing to participate in the forum on a regular basis. I could see a 32/68 split on a forum that generally deals with helping people fix a gun/product or give opinions on whether or not they should send a gun in to Ruger. I know not everyone online here isn't here for help, some are pretty knowledgeable folks who are willing to come on and give their time.

I agree with Rev though, they should have an answer as to why the SR9's issues are issues to begin with. But after an initial Recall within the first year, it's safer to assume Ruger will take it's chances with needed repairs rather refitting new parts to all the SR9 owners. And as someone who is in sort-of a 'bean-counter' role at my work, I can understand that completely, especially today. Is it right/wrong? Not exactly either, Ruger has to do what it needs to keep investors happy. Then again, my image of Ruger won't be the same as someone who had issues (good or bad) with their Customer Service.

IMHO, the SR9 has it's flaws on a gun to gun basis, but in my case, it's only drawback is the heavy trigger.

Josh

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Josh, I agree with you a forum poll isn't going to be precise. It does give an indication that things aren't as they should be. You have to be drowning in Ruger KoolAid if you won't acknowledge that there's a problem with the SR9 platform, we aren't smart enough to know if it's metallurgy or timing or mechanical. The ones that get put together with the right mix of parts run fine, others beat themselves silly among other things. My SR9 ran fine after your F&B but I just lost interest in it.

Something else I'm wondering about is why are there basically no aftermarket parts available after this amount of time? Sights, extended safety, etc. Too soon or not enough sold to warrant ?

jhearne

Buckeye
ArmedinAZ":1f52jbv9 said:
Josh, I agree with you a forum poll isn't going to be precise. It does give an indication that things aren't as they should be. You have to be drowning in Ruger KoolAid if you won't acknowledge that there's a problem with the SR9 platform, we aren't smart enough to know if it's metallurgy or timing or mechanical. The ones that get put together with the right mix of parts run fine, others beat themselves silly among other things. My SR9 ran fine after your F&B but I just lost interest in it.

Something else I'm wondering about is why are there basically no aftermarket parts available after this amount of time? Sights, extended safety, etc. Too soon or not enough sold to warrant ?

I am really interested in knowing WHAT is wrong with those 'bad' SR9s, and why we haven't seen any further development in the SR platform.

But like you said, there's only a few options out there now for aftermarket parts. As to why, I really think it's just interest (or lack there-of) keeping it from taking off. I've got a Sig SP2022 on the top of my list to take over my SD/HD duties making my SR9 a range toy that I'll tinker with further than I have now.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
jhearne":xau687ws said:
I am really interested in knowing WHAT is wrong with those 'bad' SR9s, and why we haven't seen any further development in the SR platform.

At the risk of being called a basher (again ... LOL), I think the platform itself was poorly designed from the beginning, and that design made small tolerances a requirement, which Ruger is not capable of doing at their pricepoint. Clearly they can't build further on what I'm sure they realize is a problematic design, although they'll never admit it, let alone introduce an even higher pressure caliber like the 40 to the already beleagured line. Compacts take even more abuse than full size guns, and we haven't seen an SR9 compact either, have we, and how hard would that be to do ? Why do you think there were never any more guns released based on the P345 platform ?? Answer ... poor design and poor reputation.

Ruger should have built upon the original P-series guns, which WORKED, accurizing them, accessorizing them, and miniatuizing them, and left the new design stuff out of their lineup. They gave up what worked, and embarked on a series of failures that didn't work and that really hurt their reputation.

Gun owners tend to be very forgiving. Release a few dogs like the P345 and the SR9 and people will stay away. Release ONE good gun with outstanding accuracy, and people will return in droves. But it has to be real, measurable, consistent,repeatable accuracy, that becomes well-known in the industry, not just a bunch of guys saying that their gun is more accurate than they are on an internet forum. That's why I'm hoping Ruger comes out with a highly accurate base 1911. Trust me ... if they can do it without click no bangs/recalls/peening, etc, it will sell like hotcakes.

Sig and CZ didn't get the reputation for accuracy just because they cost a lot more than Rugers, they got that reputation over the years because THEY ARE MORE ACCURATE ... FAR MORE ACCURATE ... it takes years to build a reputation like that, and it takes years to build a reputation for building guns that are NOT accurate as well ....

As Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA says all the time ... Only accurate guns are interesting ...

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
jhearne":419o6d5p said:
I've got a Sig SP2022 on the top of my list to take over my SD/HD duties making my SR9 a range toy that I'll tinker with further than I have now.

Josh

Hey Josh,

A range buddy had a Sig Pro 2009, which I think is the precurser to the 2022. The first time I shot that gun I was just blown away by it's accuracy. He paid $500 for it brand new and I offered him $500 on the spot for it. He declined, saying I should just go buy a new one. I declined, saying that I KNEW what HIS particular example was capable of. I never did buy one of them, but I have heard NOTHING but GOOD things about those two Sigs. If you end up getting one, I'd be real interested in a range report. I've never shot a 2022. Hope you get one soon so you can compare and contrast it with the SR9.

By the way, I think you can probably save about $100 on the 2009 over the 2022 if you can find one, and you like it. I think CDNN had both of them on sale a while ago, so before you buy, I might give them a call just to check it out.

Not really into the plastic guns in general which is why I picked up the P225 and P226.

REV

jhearne

Buckeye
Just a matter of when not if Rev, I've been looking to get that thing since last March. I know my LGS would sell me the SP2022 for $650 but my local Academy has it all the time for a little over $500.....I'll go to Academy. And I'll be keeping the SR9 so a comparison will be available. I posted recently regarding comparisons between the SA XD in .40SW and the SR9.

It's easy to see how it could be bashing, but that's not what I'm posting about ;). I don't know what Ruger could be planning to offer come the next SHOT Show, but a 1911 offering wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Like you said thought, it'd need to be accurate but not flashy and made to be inexpensive for us looking to get into 1911's (hint Ruger, I am!). I do think that if Ruger had the want to bring any other SR models out, we might see an SR9-MKII before anything else....but in today's time (sans Bill Ruger) that might not happen, making the SR9 nothing more than a blip in Ruger's Semi-Auto history.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
jhearne":2024zrbp said:
making the SR9 nothing more than a blip in Ruger's Semi-Auto history.

Yup, kind of like the P345. Good call on the SR9 MKII, I wouldn't doubt that.

REV

Jeff H

Bearcat
You have to be drowning in Ruger KoolAid if you won't acknowledge that there's a problem with the SR9 platform, we aren't smart enough to know if it's metallurgy or timing or mechanical.

but there are so many of us with no issues at all with the SR9...we can't all be drowning in Kool Aid. Mine goes bang every time and no peening issues. BTW I had my SR9 for a while before I joined this forum and never heard about any issues until I got here. Instead of Ruger Kool Aid, maybe it should be a Ruger cesspool. (the negativity feeds on itself)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jeff H":1gmn0673 said:
Instead of Ruger Kool Aid, maybe it should be a Ruger cesspool. (the negativity feeds on itself)

I think you're forgetting that the people who indicated that they had problems ARE FORUM MEMBERS, and certainly are not wishing any more problems on Ruger. We are not discussing whether your particular gun had any issues, we are discussing the fact that about 1/3 of the guns DO HAVE ISSUES, according to the very people that purchased and use them. I wonder if your attitude would be the same if YOUR gun developed these problems, problems that many others have had to deal with. It's real easy to dismiss a problematic gun when YOURS hasn't had the issue yet.

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
revhigh":2xv8pw4n said:
Jeff H":2xv8pw4n said:
Instead of Ruger Kool Aid, maybe it should be a Ruger cesspool. (the negativity feeds on itself)

I think you're forgetting that the people who indicated that they had problems ARE FORUM MEMBERS, and certainly are not wishing any more problems on Ruger. We are not discussing whether your particular gun had any issues, we are discussing the fact that about 1/3 of the guns DO HAVE ISSUES, according to the very people that purchased and use them. I wonder if your attitude would be the same if YOUR gun developed these problems, problems that many others have had to deal with. It's real easy to dismiss a problematic gun when YOURS hasn't had the issue yet.

REV

This is the curious part of all this SR9 chatter. Those with guns that got put together right are annoyed by those whose luck of the draw wasn't so good and got a lemon and are unhappy. REV is right about 1 thing, those who populate a gun forum are mostly shooters and quite possibly the percentage of members experiencing problems IS higher than the whole population of SR9 owners because we do shoot a lot and the problem appears. But that may indicate that the real problem really is more like 1 in 3...

Would you buy any weapon if you knew there was very real chance it may have to go in for repair? 1 in 3 chance OK? 1 in 10? 1 in 20?

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":3p2eum3w said:
Those with guns that got put together right are annoyed by those whose luck of the draw wasn't so good and got a lemon and are unhappy.

It does seem that way Armed, almost as if the guns that are owned by people with no problems have been besmirched by the fact that about 1/3 of the guns DO have problems. From a practical point of view, those defective 1/3 certainly HAVE ruined the reputation of the good ones, and most certainly have greatly reduced the value of the SR9, whether at trade in time, private sale time, or sales of new guns at retail. I wouldn't be surprised if the SR9 ends up being blown out by CDNN or JGSales for $279 or so, just like the P95. I'm sure that everyone here would have scoffed at the idea of P95's being sold at CDNN brand new for $259, yet it happened.

REV

shinerjohn

Bearcat
I've had my SR9 for a while; post recall. I've never had a problem of any kind with it. Wasn't aware of SR9 peening problems until I read it here. I'm approaching 1,000 rounds in my SR9 and it's my nightstand gun. Sorry that some of you are having problems, and I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction shortly.

Merry Christmas, Y'all!!