Votes: 0 0.0%
  • like it , won't buy because of price

• don't like it

• Total voters

slabsides

Bearcat
This ain't the Ruger Company I've known and liked (and patronized) since 1956! Wattinell were they thinking? Swat wannabe's, indeed!!! Gov't contract bait? Maybe. And then Ruger will go the way of Colt, and we all know what that means. The 'NEW' management at Ruger is totally out of touch with their traditional clientele. I have all the Rugers (the GOOD, USEFUL Rugers) that I need for my lifetime now, sincerely doubt that I'll ever invest in another example of this marque, especially if they continue down this route.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1)":2j2nucby said:
"I smell a big, fat, government contract."

Quite possible. Ruger ought to be able to crank these out in quantities that would reduce the per-each costs considerably, covering their development costs in one fell swoop. That would make the number they can sell "over the counter" pure gravy to the accounting department.

And just to clarify . . . I'd love to have one as a toy, for sure. Just cannot justify the price on my limited income. And I'm not even an "operator".

:D

Therein lies the problem. Any big committment (gov't contract, leos, etc.) will make them immediatley unavailable for anyone else. And of course that is barring any recall problems. The way they make things in "batches" now it may be months or longer before they get cranked up again to make more. But as other posters have noted Ruger probably makes very little of this rifle save the barrel and the piston system. The lower, LPK, stock sets, sites, and probably significant parts of the upper are from other suppliers.

Maybe they will sell some, but it makes you wonder why they put so much into the mini recenlty if this thing was about to debut...

captainkirk

I'm surprised some of you who are stock holders are disappointed about this rifle. They are pretty much in demand and will be for a good long while. If Ruger wants to build something that will sell they certainly accomplished that IMO anyway. Only problem I see is that they seem to be having trouble producing enough of what is in demand right now, but I'm not sure how much longer this will go on. As long as Ruger is selling stuff and they are certainly doing that they are making money and the stock holders are making money. I hope they can produce enough. I guarantee the orders will be coming in.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Most people with considerable AR and FNFAL experience are excited. Their worry is the recall history of new Rugers and the pattern type grouping the pathetic mini14 is typical for.

I bet the sales of this gun will be very good even if the old Fudds don't buy a single one. There is plenty to be excited about and the poll here reflects a small niche demographic of buyers.

BEER

Bearcat
if this entire rifle was built from the ground up by ruger in house i'd already have 2 pre-ordered. as it stands though i'm not going to pay 2k just for rugers rollmark on the same damned ar15 i could buy or build with someone elses branding on it for half the cost.

i'll give it 6 months to a year and let somebody else field test it. if it turns out to be as tough and dependable as everything else ruger makes i'll pick one up, but until it proves itself to be worthy of the squashed chicken i'm not gonna risk my hard earned money on it.

Darth AkSarBen

Bearcat
They should have concentrated on the Mini-14 and Mini-30 a bit more. Perhaps a little beefier barrel or length? Perhaps more concentration on making it a better shooter (accuracy) along with reliability. I know..... the Ruger Mini-14 was built as a tough little gun that you can pack around all day. But hey, what about making it an all day packer and better accuracy? Surely in this day and age the engineers and computers can come up with some solution, AND keep it well under $1000.

If anything, I would have like to see a Mini-308. The Ruger Mini 30 beefed up a bit and chambered for the .308 round. Would be a much better deer gun than the 7.62 X 39 Soviet. .308 Winchester would be an excellent short to mid range deer rifle.

slabsides

Bearcat
Quaterbore says "…sales of this gun will be very good even if the old Fudds don't buy a single one."
As a genuine 'old Fudd', and as a representative of the huge plurality of 'old Fudds' I have to agree with Quaterbore's assessment. Not to promote other forums, but there are some, where the 'demographic' consists of hunters and recreational shooters who have often spoken of Rugers pro and con, but never whined for an AR platform with the 'squashed chicken' logo upon it.
We won't buy the SR556. Maybe lots of people will. People in black, sinister behind their Oakley specs, all tactical and cool. Fine.
But as a long time (1956 to present) Ruger booster and user, I feel soiled......

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
I like it! I can't afford it! Guess it's Direct Gas Impingement for me. Why buy a brand name AR for 2G's when you can build one for $800 or less. I like AR's. I've owned a few and have never bought a brand name AR. I've only put them together from parts kits. They shoot great, and there's a ton of good mags for them readily available to name just a few attributes. Furthermore, as long as you can read and are vigilant about finding the right information, you can successfully put one of these together and take it to the range that day to test fire. As far as a piston instead of dirty gas gowing back into the receiver to cycle the action.... well I guess I'll just have to deal with dirty gas! (It was the dog I swear) But, hey you go Ruger... Looks TactiCOOL!

sparks701

Bearcat
I like it, I was looking into the para usa's new AR but I might kick back and watch what happens with these first.

Rolan_Kraps

Bearcat
Well, I'm excited. I guess I'm in the minority, but I still plan on buying one and selling my Rock River Arms build.

Why, Great features for the money. The sights are excellent choices, the rails are great quality and the gas piston is a must for those who like the AR platform. Why? More reliable. Less fouling, and MUCH LESS HEAT on the bolt.

I think this is a GREAT idea on Ruger's part. Next, I'd like to see their take on a Lever Action Rifle for Cowboy Action. Like a Winchester 1873 in Stainless Steel. Sigh, I can dream.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I guess I will never understand some people.
Did Ruger announce that they are going to stop making the Mini-14?
Did they announce that they are replacing anything in the catalog with the SR-556?
No. I have never understood the concept of "choosing" one over the other. We are not limited to just one gun.
Most of the people that are griping about the SR-556 are also the ones who gripe about the Mini. And the LCP. And the LCR. And the Flattop .44 Special.
Some folks never pull the trigger on anything, but just live to gripe.
The AR is the hottest-selling rifle in the country, and I think that Ruger made a wise decision to get a piece of that market. They were working on this project long before the current rush to buy ARs. They built EXACTLY what many AR buyers are asking for, and they have used a lot of high-dollar parts in building the SR-556.
If you do not want to buy one, that is perfectly fine, but you fellows that are griping about this newest Ruger firearm would have found something wrong with anything that they could have made. You always do.
Any gun that is produced by any gun company, I wish them success. We need more guns on the market. It is better for shooters, and for the country. Ruger is entering the AR market, at a time when most AR makjers are many months behind in filling orders. Any Ruger stockholder who doesn't think this was a wise decision is an idiot. I would love to see Ruger produce a .480 Bisley. They would probably sell a few hundred of them. However, they will probably sell many thousands of the SR-556 rifles.

Well, I won't buy one, but if Ruger wants to jump on the AR band wagon with all the other mfgers., good for them. After all, Smith has one, Colt had one, and now Remington will probably build one...., but as I said, I will stick with my Mini platform and skip the AR feeding frenzy.......

Dave

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
GUNBLAST-Jeff Quinn

You are one lucky SOB and thanks for the very informative article and lots of pics on your site about this SR556, I'm first on the list at my local gun shop to get one.

olyinaz

Bearcat
Let's face it, it's a smart marketing move and I suspect that the rifle will sell well.

With that said, I wish that Ruger would take a better look at what tuners like ASI are doing with Mini 14/30s and more comprehensively improve their accuracy. I also wish that Ruger would offer some more calibers in Mini series. The improvements to the Mini have been so incremental and so minor that the rifle still suffers from a (deserved in my view) reputation for mediocre accuracy and I feel (but can't prove) that this holds the rifle back in the marketplace.

And yes, the price of the 556 is too rich for me so I'll just have to get by with my old Ranch Rifle and my sub-$1000 AR-15.

Oly[/i]

slabsides

Bearcat
A comment to GunBlast and Jeff Quinn:
I suspect that I've been shooting, and buying Ruger product with my very own hard-earned, for more years than you have.
I have earned the right to 'gripe'. I prefer to call it candid criticism.
The company that brought the common man the Standard Auto, the Single Six and Blackhawk, and the #1 is no more. Now it's just another cash cow for investors, run by bean counters. And I still feel soiled. SAD, that is.

chet15

Hawkeye
slabsides":3noushqd said:
A comment to GunBlast and Jeff Quinn:
I suspect that I've been shooting, and buying Ruger product with my very own hard-earned, for more years than you have.
I have earned the right to 'gripe'. I prefer to call it candid criticism.
The company that brought the common man the Standard Auto, the Single Six and Blackhawk, and the #1 is no more. Now it's just another cash cow for investors, run by bean counters. And I still feel soiled. SAD, that is.

You know what? Jeff Q. is exactly right! I wasn't even a year old at the time, but can just imagine the feeling in 1968 when Ruger introduced the M77. Wonder how many people were wondering why Ruger was introducing a bolt rifle (something they hadn't done before) when the marketshare for a bolt rifle was pretty much all Winchester and Remington at the time? Ruger's built over 2-1/2 million in 40 years. Not too shabby, eh?
How about when their .22 pistol came out in 1949 among the big boys Colt and High Standard who said Ruger couldn't do it? Pretty much knocked Colt and HS out of the market altogether. Well over 3 million guns later, I'd say Ruger made a pretty good decision!
"P" series autos? Some of you guys really like your S&W's and Glocks, but who in the heck bought all 2 million+ of those Ruger centerfire autos in 25 years?
Complain if you will, but marketshare is what its all about. And the more marketshare a company has, the better the investment on your stock!! I don't have any Ruger stock anymore. But if I did, I wouldn't be complaining. The people that are at Ruger have made great strides in the last 2-3 years of getting the company back on track and they should be appauded.
And by the way, I've heard Ruger "already" has orders for several thousand SR-556's.
Chet15