• like it , won't buy because of price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
deadduck357":yzs6q9k4 said:
They need to get this thing out, im itching to get mine, sold one of my Bushmasters a couple weeks ago to get this SR-556.

wetidlerjr":yzs6q9k4 said:
I converted one of my Bushmasters with an Adams Arms kit and saved the hassle of selling and buying. It works great !
grinning-smiley-003-1.gif
I had been looking at doing this for awhile and the release of the Ruger AR inspired me to do the conversion. Going with a conversion just made more sense for me economically as I had all the "good pieces" on my Bushmaster already. YMMV
HAPPYSOLDIER.gif

deadduck357":yzs6q9k4 said:
I was about to buy the Adams Arms piston kit for my bushmaster BUT this SR-556 economically is a far better decision...

Perhaps for you it was but I already had front/rear BUIS, an ACE "skeleton" stock and no desire for quad rail handguards. Spending an additional $1500 (if I could get the SR-556 for that around here) instead of less than $500 to upgrade was not a "far better decision" in my case. Unless, of course, you were using some "New Math" I'm not aware of. I'm not knocking the SR-556 but unless I would be in need (or in want) of a new AR, MY "far better decision" was the one I made. YMMV :wink:

BEER

Bearcat
so far my one and only hang up MIGHT be the attachment of the rail system. from what i'm seeing in all the pics it appears to be permanently pinned in place or something. has anybody tried taking theirs off yet? i'm really curious about whther or not this rifle is stuck with the factory rail or if it can be replaced later on in case you want to go the SBR route?

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I like my Ar15's just fine. Been shooting the Stoner system since the 1970's and I have no problem with it.

Odessa

Bearcat
I am glad to see Ruger making a AR type rifle as they are incredibly popular across the range of new shooters and old experienced shooters - when Bill Ruger was alive I don't think he would have allowed a civilian AR rifle. Personally I won't buy one, as I am more of a hunting rifle kind of person. However, if producing a SR556 is good for Ruger's business, and keeps 'em profitable and thus able to keep making low volume guns (like .41 Mag Blackhawks and .257 RBTS Hawkeyes) for guys like me to buy and shoot, then it is a good thing and I hope they sell a million SR556's.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
If I had the money to burn, I'd buy it so fast it would make your head spin. But I can't because of the price.

I've wanted something like the 556 for a loooong time. Just can't afford it.

UrbanRunner

Bearcat
I really really like the SR-556 and was all set to buy one until I realized that it has 1:9 twist and not the milspec 1:7. I hope Ruger fixes what I consider to be a deal breaker on an otherwise nicely put together weapon.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Right, like the rest of the SR-556 is all milspec. Are you looking at shooting some M856 out of it?

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
At the time it was introduced it was a cheaper alternative to the other piston 'AR' rifles available.

I's say it's as good as most of the other designs. It also follows in suite, the problems of other 'AR' piston rifles.

Mine is very accurate and has a great trigger. I think it's a great rifle.

I will say I have no concern over the twist rate. I actually prefer the 1:9 as the 1:7 is a bit fast for what is commercially available to us civilians.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a piston 'AR'. But.. supply is catching up with demand. Some of the other more experienced manufactures making piston 'ARs' are starting to lower prices and the gap is closing fast.

UrbanRunner

Bearcat
I can't think of a need for me shooting tracer ammo. However, I would like to shoot the heaviest bullet, and be accurate to the maximum distance, feasible for the platform. My preference would be the 64gr Federal Tactical Tru round. 1:7 is intended to be better for heavier bullets at greater range. The intended target would not be tin cans or small game...

cluelesspa

Bearcat
that "64gr Federal Tactical Tru round" is not cheap. so you wont be plinking with it... also that Federal is usually LEO purchase only.

for home defense I have a mag loaded with the Hornady 55gr TAP personal defense - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=724752

I typically use 5.56 M193 public ammo (not military) for plinking.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=125034

here is good info from http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462 :

1/7 twist

The rate of twist for any given barrel is specific to the projectile diameter, length and velocity. For a 55gr 5.56 NATO round (M193), the proper twist is somewhere around 1/10 to 1/12. The original M16A1 came in a 1/12 twist. However, for the heavier 62gr M855 round, 1/12 does not work. The M16A2 went from 1/12 to 1/7 twist, allowing for this round. Truth be told, the 62gr penetrator (SS109) is actually the length of a 69gr bullet, but weighs less because it has a steel core instead of a lead core. This round will tumble wildly in a 1/12 twist barrel. Testing showed this fast twist rate will show premature throat erosion, so commercial barrel makers decided to make their barrels 1/9 twist since they did not need to adhere to the strict military requirement of 1/7. This worked, and the throat erosion seemed to be mitigated. However, with the newest advances in bullet design pushing the envelope to 75gr and 77gr projectiles, 1/9 is not quite getting the job done reliably. Due to tolerances for rifling a barrel, some barrels marked 1/9 can shoot the heavies with no ill effects, but others marked 1/9 throw them down range tumbling wildly. This is not good. A tumbling bullet is not a consistent bullet, and consistency is what produces both accuracy and controlled expansion. So if you want to load your rifle with the most advanced anti-personnel loadings you can, you will want a 1/7 marked barrel. If your duty load is only 55gr or 62gr at most, then 1/9 is probably alright. 1/12 is unsat. You will be stuck with 52-55gr.

While this is not an ammo post, but a rifle post, I will keep it short. A good rule of thumb for the AR-15 is to get the heaviest bullet it will reliably stabilize, as it will penetrate deep enough to reliably hit vital organs, which is your actual target in a gunfight. Ballistic tips do NOT reliably penetrate deep enough to hit these targets when conditions are "imperfect." Stick with BTHP (OTM) ammo, and get the heavies. Our duty load is the Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP (which works well in 1/9 twist barrels), but my personal choice is 75gr OTM (which I carry in my 1/7 twist LWRC and CMMG.)

UrbanRunner

Bearcat
Thanks cluelesspa, great answer.

Since I would also like to be able to shoot 5.56 Hornady 75gr TAP ammo it looks like a 1:9 weapon is not going to be the best fit for my needs. I guess I'll save up a little more money and go for a LWRC.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
UrbanRunner":vjyihjlf said:
I can't think of a need for me shooting tracer ammo. However, I would like to shoot the heaviest bullet, and be accurate to the maximum distance, feasible for the platform. My preference would be the 64gr Federal Tactical Tru round. 1:7 is intended to be better for heavier bullets at greater range. The intended target would not be tin cans or small game...

I could not see why you would want to shoot the M856 either, but you were insistent on a 1:7 twist so that was the only reason I could come up with.

Apart from that, the 1:7 will not shoot any other bullet the 1:8 twist can't shoot. Then again the 1:8 twist is generally found in match grade barrels.

For your Federal Tru 64, the 1:9 twist would be plenty.

Oh, and twist has no bearing on range; if the bullet is stable at the muzzle it will remain stable throughout its trajectory, expect perhaps when it goes subsonic.

I see that you changed your mind and now want to shoot the 75gr TAP, so yes, a twist faster than 1:9 will most probably be required, especially in a 16 inch barrel..

UrbanRunner

Bearcat
Sig685":31bhxu8u said:
I see that you changed your mind and now want to shoot the 75gr TAP, so yes, a twist faster than 1:9 will most probably be required, especially in a 16 inch barrel..

Didn't change my mind, Federal is issue (ie. most plentiful), Hornady would be bought on my own dime. So I would ALSO like the option to shoot this round.

SR-FAN

Bearcat
Just curious, I have not read all 8 pages of posts on the SR-556, but I was told the recoil on an SR-556 is just like the recoil (or lack of recoil) from a Sig-556. I've shot the Sig and it is real easy to keep on target - virtually no recoil at all.

Is the Ruger the same as to recoil?

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
SR-FAN":cp5h8vmw said:
Just curious, I have not read all 8 pages of posts on the SR-556, but I was told the recoil on an SR-556 is just like the recoil (or lack of recoil) from a Sig-556. I've shot the Sig and it is real easy to keep on target - virtually no recoil at all.

Is the Ruger the same as to recoil?

I own both and you were told about right. The SR-556 may even have less. That also may be because my SIG556 is the Classic and not the SWAT model with quadrail, but the SR-556 has a quadrail(Battlerail). I bet if it were SR-556 v SIG556 Classic SWAT they would be dam close.