Poll: Have you removed your mag. disconnect in your SRxx??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Have you removed your magazine disconnect from your SR series Ruger?

• Yes. I did not want to risk breakage with dry fires without mag.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Yes. This feature is a bad idea and has a greater potential to put me at risk.

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • No. Have not found a good enough reason to yet.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No. Removing a safety feature is not worth the legal risk.

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

bada61265

Single-Sixer
i removed mine, primary reason is imo theres no good reason for me to have it in my gun, there maybe a reason rugers lawyers thought is was good for ruger, thats rugers position and its fairly obvious ruger has bent over backwards to make there guns sheeple freindly at shooters expense time and time again. thats there buisness and i still think they make a fine product. glad they didnt make this so hard to remove that it would deter potential buyers from purchasing a SRXXX . id be willing to deal with the fictitious DA in event the worst case scenario happens. Maybe they can prove somehow me purposfully pulling the trigger in self defense is somehow related to the magazine disconnect, let them, i think its over thinking and paranoia. the only way that i think you could realistically see liability on this is if some doofus picked up your loaded pistol but no mag in the gun and fired it doing harm, i guess that makes an argument i could see for liability. but that in itself is a pretty fanciful argument, leaves out the first rule of gun safety too. a guns always loaded and should be treated as such, treating a mag safety gun like its safe when the mag is out of the gun is an unsafe practice on its face.

Strange

Bearcat
The only reason I can find that MD is there is to ensure the weapon does not fire on the dummy who left a round in the chamber or someone close to them when they think the weapon is empty. Not even mentioning that the loaded indicator is completely ignored before the trigger is pulled. Personally I never look at that silly indicator I always assume every weapon is loaded unless the slide is in the back locked position exposing the empty barrel. Yes I did remove my MD.....

bada61265

Single-Sixer
exactly strange, like me and others who have stated the obvious fact. and again ill state the first rule, always treat a gun as if it was loaded and ready to fire. getting used to mag safeties might even promote bad habbits among some gun owners.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
No, I haven't done it for three reasons:

1) If I ever have to use the gun for the purposes I intended when I bought it, defensively, I want to be using an unmodified, fully-approved, totally legal, absoultely non-controverisal gun in the state I live in. There *are* overzealous prosecutors and especially where I live I know they exist. I don't want to be the example they make. I'm not going to be.

2) I actually don't mind the magazine disconnect safety because for the things I bought the gun to do, and in my firing of the gun, it hasn't really made enough of a difference to matter. I didn't buy it to be a competition pistol: I bought it to be a good, reliable, defensive sidearm. I've adapted to whatever it was supposed to negatively impact the pistol for, I guess. It's never been a mechanical issue. Nothing's ever gone wrong with it in my experience.

3) I have actually used the magazine disconnect safety as an extra measure of insurance for myself.

I appreciate knowing that it could be disabled without damage to the firearm, though. It's good to know as much as you can about the gun(s) you have.

The other reason for having the Mag disconnect safety is esoteric and I really, honestly have no hard data on how often it's been important: the oft-cited idea that a cop can drop the magazine if a perp. is about to wrest the gun from their hand and thereby render the weapon useless.

It sounds so storybook to me, I just don't know whether that's ever happened in the world. I'm sure someone can come up with an example of when it has, though - this is the Internet ;).

In the meantime I'm pretty much agnostic on it. It's never been enough of a hindrance to matter, neither has it been that much of a plus.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
bada61265 said:
id be willing to deal with the fictitious DA in event the worst case scenario happens. Maybe they can prove somehow me purposfully pulling the trigger in self defense is somehow related to the magazine disconnect, let them, i think its over thinking and paranoia.

That's a wonderful statement but in a lot of states (Illinois included) it doesn't comport with reality, and you wouldn't really be willing. Not once you got there.

Remember the 2009 case where the off-duty Special Police officer in Boston shot a deranged maniac stabbing a doctor to death in a hospital, saving her life and his, with his licensed Glock 27? It took the Massachusetts authorities in Suffolk County FIVE MONTHS to finally conclude that the hero wasn't actually guilty of manslaughter and potentially going to prison for shooting that guy.

Remember that in gun-phobic states like Massachusetts the instant you use a gun in self-defense the entire weight of the legal apparatus shifts against you and *YOU* become the presumptive criminal until you prove yourself innocent. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one.

http://www.mass.gov/dasuffolk/docs/3.31.10B.html

You take a good close look at how the Suffolk County DA's office worded that press statement and tell me whether you really want to go up against them in a real life situation, after using a modified gun in self-defense that has been altered from the way it was approved for sale in the Commonwealth.

I don't want to try it.

Maybe in downstate/midstate Illinois you don't have to worry about things like that but believe me if you ever travel northeast and get in a bad situation with your gun, you'd better be 200% sure of what you're doing or you will be going to prison. I used to live in Chicago, and you can't use a pair of nail clippers in self-defense there without the DA's office coming down on you like a ton of bricks.

Verndog

Blackhawk
NixieTube said:
...you'd better be 200% sure of what you're doing or you will be going to prison.

Exaggerate much? Nobody has time enough to give this much thought in life threatening situations, take that much time and you'll be a victim alright. This really has little to do with the poll question at this point. How bout we do the lectures on another thread? :roll:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
NixieTube said:
...you'd better be 200% sure of what you're doing or you will be going to prison.

Exaggerate much? Nobody has time enough to give this much thought in life threatening situations, take that much time and you'll be a victim alright. This really has little to do with the poll question at this point. How bout we do the lectures on another thread? :roll:

I don't exaggerate any more than our politicians do, and usually a lot less than the professional "common-sense" gun law people do. ;)

But I get your point about the lecture and staying on-topic in the thread. Point taken. I'll share a story over in the Lounge that gives you more of an idea of where I'm coming from, having lived in the Windy City. Head on over, it's posted now.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I don't believe you will get a true picture of how most SR9c owners feel with this pole. Here's my reason...we are here on a gun forum...that indicates that we are bit more enthusiastic and knowledgeable about our guns. As such, we are more likely to "tinker" with things to get it right.

I think the average Joe that purchases a firearm for self defense would not remove the mag safety, or ever take apart the slide even for cleaning. Just my thoughts.

I personally have not taken the mag safety out of my gun.

Verndog

Blackhawk
buckshotshorty said:
I think the average Joe that purchases a firearm for self defense would not remove the mag safety, or ever take apart the slide even for cleaning. Just my thoughts.

Tough call, and I suppose much of that depends on where they bought the gun and where (or if) they shoot. The LGS owner I bought from told me about the mag DC and said he thought it was removeable if I wished. And I've seen people join this site just because they were looking for info on how to remove and found it here. I don't really consider myself an "enthusiast", I only own 2 guns and they were purchased 20 years apart....and I'm now considering it...I mostly enjoy forums like this because I like to be informed about things I own.

One thing it does show for certain, of those owners that are "well informed", there are more that don't like it then do. Not just by the yes's either because there are many that voted no and left it in but still don't really like it, me included.

gobe

Bearcat
The short of it for me is ... if I don't like a feature on a product, I don't buy it. None of my semi-autos have a 'magazine safety' and I don't think my revolvers do either :D Must have bought from folks that had different lawyers.

I can see merits in both opinions, but when my life depends on it, I subscribe to the KISS philosophy. That's the beauty of the 'free-enterprise' system ... choices.

CLee0507

Bearcat
I don't own a pistol with the magazine safety but it wouldn't bother me that it's there. What bothers me is that dry firing a pistol without the magazine inserted can or may cause damage, right?.

I've thought about this before when my local gun shop had a P345 on display and another customer was dry firing it repeatedly without the magazine in place. Just think of how many times this happens and then a fella comes in to buy said NIB pistol and he has issues with it out of the box or 6 months later.

Then costumer is upset and has to send gun back or whatever, then bashes a company because of their experience with a "new" gun.

Verndog

Blackhawk
This debate is once again rolling in another forum. Any new owners care to participate in the poll??

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I said it several times in this thread on the Wayback machine too.

No. I won't modify any basic safety feature of the gun here in MA. If I ever have to use it, in the Gravest Extreme, I absolutely do not want to have a gun that had a safety feature removed and defend myself from the State after having already defended myself from the Criminal. Prosecutors here are not timid when it comes to gun owners and I want no questions asked about the legality of my weapon should I ever have to use it in a lethal force situation. Everything on the gun that was there from the factory is still there in terms of its safety features. It was approved this way by the Massachusetts State Police and the Attorney General's office and that is how it will stay.

Class A Unrestricted licenses are too valuable to trifle with in MA.

I have slightly modified the fire control mechanism but it's mostly cosmetic and very difficult, if not impossible, to discern. In the course of cleaning I took a couple burrs off some pieces of metal that shouldn't have been there in the first place. If anything it can be counted as an improvement to the mechanism. All the basic safety features the gun was sold with are intact and will stay that way here in the Commonwealth for as long as I own the gun. If anything I have improved the safety of the firearm and made its mechanisms more like what they should have been in the original design minus the manufacturing flaws.

That's where I live. People elsewhere can do whatever they think elsewhere allows them to do, but I'm not about to do it here.

Verndog

Blackhawk
NixieTube said:
I said it several times in this thread on the Wayback machine too.

HaHa Nixie thought you could slip another vote in huh?? Poll is too smart, it remembers you from 1 year ago...we're onto you. :lol:

If you look at the beginning, I was thinking of this but voted NO not enough reason. That has since changed after finding a loose mag 1 evening....I now do have good enough reason.

When I resurrected this thread (today) there were 109 votes from 1 year ago and 55% were Yes, removed it. There should be plenty of new pollsters including SR40 owners that didn't exist then.

explorecaves

Bearcat
I pulled mine (SR9c) after the first time I tried to fire a round downrange without the magazine fully seated (did a quick mag change and caught the skin of my palm when inserting the mag). The mag felt fully seated and aside from a slight gap in the grip that took a triple check to see. I couldnt even tap the bottom of the mag to fully seat it. I had to eject the mag and reinsert it to get it to fully seat. Once I pulled the MD, I never had the issue again. Keep in mind this was within the first 50 rounds through the gun.

hawgrider

Bearcat
Haven't really thought about it any. To me its not really a big thing but I don't carry it that much have others that I use more. I understand why its there if anyone recalls a few years back where some of our politicians wanted to sue and get rid of american gun maufacturers. So now we have dumb so call safety devices because of stupid people. Look at electric and gas tools and all the warning stickers on them. Sad part is that some fool has done what we are warned against. The govt. tries to regulkate stupidity.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Nwver owned a gun with one and would never buy one that i couldn't take it out of .As stated it's NOT a saftey in the sence of how the gun would be used in a self defencive stiuation but rather a N.D. saftey when cleaning the gun .If I'm in the middle of a fire fight and have a chance to do a tactical reload and need to fire the gun while swaping mags I WANT IT TO GO BANG ,damn the lawyers .
lou

FergusonTO35

Hunter
When I bought my SR9c the first think I did was disassemble the slide, give it a good cleaning and lubricant, and remove the mag dc. I'm not so much worried about the mag dc getting me killed as I was concerned that it might contribute to light strikes. I wanted to ensure that the gun runs 100% without the dc. If I ever choose to put it back in and problems start happening then I know its the dc causing problems, not the gun itself. I didn't want to fire it with the dc in, have problems, then forever wonder if its the gun or just the dc.

I may put it back in someday, I don't know. My P95 doesn't have a mag dc and is perfectly safe so I'm not particularly concerned about it.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
I didn't vote as I only have LC9, not any of the SR series. Any YES, the magazine disconnect is gone. My reasons are quite the same as cruzerlou posted above. Also, there's no law here in CZ that would make me keep the disconnect in, so I don't have to think about any legal consequencies.