Plated 148gr DEWC---Follow up info added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently picked up a slug of these cheap and want to try them out. Of course there does not seem to be much/anything on these bullets and the powder I wanted to use. After digging through my books and searching on line, I loaded some up using 5.0gr of Unique, seated flush in 38sp cases. I usually put a tag in the box with the data, but would be winging it on this for the FPS and CUP. Anyone happen to have the info you can direct me to, or willing to do the math with the supplied info?

Enigma

Hunter
According to Lyman, with a grease groove lead WC bullet you're 0.8 grains over their max load, pushing 1,000 FPS and over 17,000 CUP. YMMV.

mikld

Blackhawk
The plated bullets I tried all were loaded to cast lead bullet data. Worked quite well for those bullets. Unless you are loading those for SD, there is no reason for a load that very possibly is .8 gr over max., and most wadcutters are loaded much lighter, like 3.7-3.9 gr Unique...

mikld said:
The plated bullets I tried all were loaded to cast lead bullet data. Worked quite well for those bullets. Unless you are loading those for SD, there is no reason for a load that very possibly is .8 gr over max., and most wadcutters are loaded much lighter, like 3.7-3.9 gr Unique...

So probably better in the 357 Redhawk and not an airweight.

mikld

Blackhawk
AJGUNNER said:
mikld said:

So probably better in the 357 Redhawk and not an airweight.
Fer sure! 8)

Enigma

Hunter
AJGUNNER said:
Enigma said:
According to Lyman, with a grease groove lead WC bullet you're 0.8 grains over their max load, pushing 1,000 FPS and over 17,000 CUP. YMMV.

Can you please take a photo of this data in the book and post it or PM to me so I can add it to my notebook?

I'll see if I can figure out how to do that a bit later today.

I first tried them in a 7.5" 357 Redhawk and they felt like I was shooting a cap gun. So I tried them in the 6" Security Six and they still felt pretty mild. Ran some in the 2.75" Security Six and they finally felt like 38sp target loads, so I went ahead and ran them in a 2" air weight S&W 442. Still fairly mild and nothing near a regular old factory 38sp. I will drop them back to 4.5gr on the next round. This will also save $.15 to $.20 per box on the powder cost. :) Oh ya, these do punch a beautiful hole in paper---they even seemed cleaner than the 148 lead WC I have been using.

Enigma

Hunter
Glad they worked out for you. I finally looked in some different manuals, and those indicated that your loads were probably NOT as hot as the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (#4) indicated they were. Still over max, but not quite as fast or as much pressure.