Pistols are getting lighter and lighter...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gun manufacturers keep trying to make their products (handguns) lighter and lighter, but it seems like we keep inventing more crap every day to add weight to these guns. Its seems like there is a neverending battle. Lol

The ammount of accessories to add to your handgun these days is endless. Where do you draw the line between necessity and too much? That may be a personal question because most individuals will need to facilitate the use of their firearms differently. Were do YOU draw the line?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have had a MarkI target since I bought it new in the late 70s. It is exactly as it came out of the box. I've thought about modifying the sight as the black on black is getting harder to see as I get older. If the trigger weren't so good, I might consider a trigger kit. Neither of these is a serious mod and would not add any weight to the weapon. Of course, it was made with a bull barrel to increase the weight, and improve balance, so maybe it is a poor example.

No offense to the guys who have one, but I have always thought of lasers as toys. I suppose they may be good as a learning tool for instinctive shooting. A scope on a pistol just seems a little silly to me. Again, no offense to those who have one. Just not for me.

Custom grips that fit your hand well seem like a good idea to me, and since I am a woodworker, some really great wood appeals. Other than that I can't think of anything I would want to add to a pistol.

A

Anonymous

Guns should be modified to do a certain job.

A dedicated "bedroom" gun would probably have a flashlight attached to it but not my EDC piece.

I'm not a huge fan of over-modification... just take a took at those goofy Open Category guns at the Bianchi Cup. They look like laser guns but they certainly get the job done.

ETA:

Just found a good example of one of those heavily modified guns --

bian.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Pistols are getting lighter and lighter ....

Were do YOU draw the line?

.... and people are getting stupider and stupider ... in almost all ways ...

I draw the line pretty much at where it came from the factory .... I don't junk up my guns. If a gun doesn't have the features I want ... I generally buy another one that does have what I want.

These days though ... it seems that finding a gun WITHOUT JUNK is hard to do. Give me a nice clean 1911, HiPower, or CZ75 anyday compared to the plastic garbage with rails, lasers, flashlights, bayonets, and interchangeable handgrips ... blah blah blah ....

REV

Looks like Haz likes the Cz75 as well... With good reason no doubt.

It just seems like the same people stating that the above mentioned guns are too heavy are in many/most cases the people who are adding crap/weight to the lighter weight guns that they hail to because of their light weight. Duh! Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

LOL rev looks like we got some favs in common.

customf1

Bearcat
I can appreciate folks adding mods to guns if the application calls for it. I started with guns a few years ago and have done some moderate inexpensive mods nothing extreme just to further enhance the shootability or looks of a gun. I also have a very basic RIA 9mm 1911 that I just love, its a great shooter and is factory stock and I plan on keeping it that way. I also have a MKlll on order that I will again keep as factory stock when I get it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I guess all these big bad gun owners can't hold up metal guns anymore because they're too heavy ... they need their guns to be made of styrofoam so they can shoot them a few times at the range, and then of course .... carry them to the mall in their surplus camo clothing. :D

REV

toysoldier

Hunter
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
Gun manufacturers keep trying to make their products (handguns) lighter and lighter..

Not revolvers. They just keep getting heavier---heavy barel, full underlug, unfluted cylinder, frame massive enough to take elephant loads. That probably contributed to the LEO switch to semi-autos. As guns got heavier, the Sam Browne shoulder belt disappeared from the uniform. Still just 6 shots, so why not switch to a semi-auto that, with 13 rounds, weighed less?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Toy, I think the OP may be pointing more towards those that wouldn't know a revolver if it was glued to their foreheads.

9x19

Hunter
Once the success of the Glock proved a reliable and durable pistol need not be all-steel and weight 35 ounces or more, the rest of the makers realized they best follow suit or be left behind.

Of course, there will always be throwbacks like rev who stubbornly resist such changes, but they don't really affect the market much... and they die off in less than a century, so it's just a passing grumble. :p

Welcome to the 21st century, y'all. :D

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
I guess all these big bad gun owners can't hold up metal guns anymore because they're too heavy ... they need their guns to be made of styrofoam so they can shoot them a few times at the range, and then of course .... carry them to the mall in their surplus camo clothing. :D

REV

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Time to grab some popcorn.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I have an Insight technoliges M-3 light on my Glock Gen 4 G22 duty gun and being that it's primary function is as a duty gun I can justafiy it being there .I use it very little though but have on occacation .I prefer a snall high output handheld light as when using it for searching I'm not waving a loaded gun around ,On the other hand theres times that having the light on the gun can save you just a split second just when you need it like when doing a dynamic enter and searching a house . . As to my patrol rifles yes they have lights and lasers and dot sights on them but are purly functonial tools .If you paint a perp with that laser dot and strobe light ,one it tends to disorient them,two they can see right where the bullet is going to hit them and as I see it this is more of a deturent
than an aiming aid .The dot sight lets me know real quick when I'm on target and it twice as fast as iron sights .Having said that both my patrol rifles I can co wittness the iron sights thruogh the dot sight .
Lou

9x19

Hunter
revhigh said:

REV

Guys like this? :p

GlockinAfgan.jpg

Ratster

Bearcat
revhigh said:

REV

LOOK OUT! MALL NINJAS! :shock:

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:

REV
Reminds me of the latest greatest trends on making smart phones skinnier and skinnier (and lighter) almost like a playing card. Suddenly idiots are shocked that their $300 dollar card-like smart phone cracks at the slightest stress, ie in pocket when bent over. I dont understand this never ending race to thin/light in products we buy. Give me a durable, metal, gun with some heft to it any day like a P90 or CZ75. This guy on youtube Nutnfancy (whom mall ninjas idolized) puts overwhelming emphasis on a gun being low weight. Drives me crazy.

9x19

Hunter
Cheesewhiz said:
I think Rev was talking about people that may read something like this:

83134a22.jpg

Seems odd that rev would diss the pistol, given the look of his rifle:

ultimate.jpg