Picked Up My New Mini-14 Model 5819

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
Finally got my new Mini-14 today. UPS couldn't find the rifle while my poor dealer waited for 1 1/2 hours at the will call last night!!! Then today at 8am they said it wasn't there and he had to come back after 10am even though he received an email saying he could come pick it up. He had a little "chat" with the representative and she went in the back and came out with it. He said it happens all the time with this particular UPS and I told him I'd request shipping via USPS or Fed Ex from now on. Oh.....the box was ripped in several place and the slide lever was actually poking through the box. Actually looked like it had been crushed. Unbelievable condition.....but the rifle was unharmed thank goodness.

OK, enough about UPS :D

I had an extra rail which says it's for ranch and PC rifles but the little "nub" underneath the rail was too "fat" for the slot. This particular rail fits my PC9 perfectly but not this rifle. My rifle is a LE Model 5819 but it does say Ranch Rifle on it so I expected the rail to fit. I got my trusty file out and filed the nub to be more narrow and then the rail fit right on. I really didn't want to file on a $50 rail but I did and since it's underneath you don't notice that it's bare aluminum showing.

I field stripped and cleaned/lubed. I had difficulty getting the bolt in and out and then the charging handle back on but I suppose I'll get better with that. I had this model before (2 of them actually) and sold them to buy some ARs. Now I've sold my ARs and bought the Mini-14 again (it was a financial decision since I don't get to shoot my rifles much anymore). But once I handled my new mini I realized how much I really like it.

I hope to get to the range next weekend. Any tips anyone may have about shooting this rifle, ammo, cleaning/lube, etc would be appreciated. I plan on using my Urban E.R.T. sling but have to purchase some sling attachments.

I do have a question: it looks like the rail would interfere with the ejection of the shell casings. Does anyone have a rail on their mini and does it work OK? I think I have the Aimpoint H-1 too far forward but I'll play with that at the range. I guess I'll find out about the empty shells ejecting properly or not but thought someone might already have some experience with a rail on the mini (using the scope ring attachment points). If this rail won't work I'll just use my iron ghost ring sights.

Here's a couple of quick pictures. I love short barrel rifles and stainless which is why I purchased this model. It's advertised as LE but there are no LE markings. Came with two 20 round Ruger factory mags and I purchased 4 more new Ruger factory 20 round mags from the seller for under $16 each including shipping. Would have purchased more but he only had 4 of them. Also came with a sling but not scope rings.

Ruger5819A.jpg

Ruger5819.jpg