Photo bucket or something else?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knuckles

Buckeye
Tried to upload to photo bucket like I always use to but I'm now having trouble.
Is there a better way to get pics' louded up here these days?

Thnx, Knuckles.

hittman

Staff member
Hi Knuckles! Good to see you're back amongst us!

Many have complained recently about Photobucket but I haven't had many problem. There's another thread here somewhere ..... maybe in the Lounge ..... where folks named off some of the others they use.

Tinypic (sp?) comes to mind as one.

Good to see you back here, we have had way too many issues with photobucket, and finally someone on here talked us into 'IMGUR.COM' or some such spelling, simple and easy once you get the hang of it, one of the guys talked me through it, just gotta make sure you "size" them properly in the lower right hand corner of the image page........we use the "large thumbnail" works for us.......
good luck, do you ever get over near the Maumee Valley ( Toledo area) gun show ...Lucas county rec center.???

Knuckles

Buckeye
Thanks guys, it's fun to be back on here.
I'm trying to post my fancy Vaquero on here with no success.

I used to open photobucket and simply upload new pics'...
man' it's useless now, it just locks up with internal adds.

Yes rugerguy, I play many music gigs in the Toledo area but it's 1:10 to the Ohio boarder for me so I'm usually scootin' along in the early evening.

It's a shame and senseless what photobucket did.

contender

Ruger Guru
Some have not had any issues with PB,,, but I'm one of those who did have huge issues. I wasn't able to log in & then download any pics. It'd kick me off & ask me to re-register. After several days of trying & frustration,,, I started using imgur as my new photo host. My only complaint there is I have to manually re-size the pics smaller after they get into imgur. But it doesn't take long & I've mastered the required things I needed.

knuckles said:
Thanks guys, it's fun to be back on here.
I'm trying to post my fancy Vaquero on here with no success.

I used to open photobucket and simply upload new pics'...
man' it's useless now, it just locks up with internal adds.

Yes rugerguy, I play many music gigs in the Toledo area but it's 1:10 to the Ohio boarder for me so I'm usually scootin' along in the early evening.

It's a shame and senseless what photobucket did.

The best you can expect here is the same guys professing repeatedly photobucket works okay for them, while others of us simultaneously struggle. There have been times that some of us have been unable to use photobucket at all, while at the exact same time others are reporting it's working perfectly for them. Seems to be no explanation for why it works well for some folks and/or their operating systems and poorly for others. And many of the folks here will say it's operator error. I believe otherwise. I've experienced way too many issues with photobucket. And when it wont work on one of my computers at my home, it also is not working on my other computers either. When photobucket customer service finally started listening to me, the communication was difficult, as the communication cycle took 3 or 4-days each time, from the time I reported the problem, til they read my message and replied. Took a couple weeks of trading e-mails until they corrected their error. I believe they are simply over their head, and under staffed. And they assign way too much responsibility to the robot that reads and responds to the customer service reports from the customers.

Paying to be ad-free on photobucket has been a big help. Their bombardment of ad-loading would freeze my computer too. And being now ad-free is the only way I can make photobucket work at all, however there are times it still doesn't work. The only reason I stay with them is the editing options are endless and easy, when they work.

When photobucket is not working, I use postimage.org

No options for editing, but the site is ultra fast and easy to use.

WAYNO.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Photobucket has become so worthless, that I can't even get it to operate good enough to get my pictures off of their site.
It is very frustrating and my virus protection, malware protection constantly block crap from their site.
I was trying to get pics loaded up on here to sell some rifles, very frustrating

I have never 'paid' them for anything and have never had a problem with ads. Once again I just went there, logged in, and was ready to go in about 20 seconds from start to finish. I guess that at this time in space I am one of the 'lucky' ones.

caryc

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
I have never 'paid' them for anything and have never had a problem with ads. Once again I just went there, logged in, and was ready to go in about 20 seconds from start to finish. I guess that at this time in space I am one of the 'lucky' ones.

Me too, been using photobucket (unpaid version) for 20 years or so. I run Firefox and AdBlock plus. Never have any problems with PB. You can't prove to me that the problems are not on the users end. Sorry, just my opinion.

Also have Malwarebytes and McAfee on my computer with no problems.

SAJohn

Hunter
Here is a work around for photobucket uploads. After logging in do not click on upload, instead click on library then click on the first picture window titled uploads. Select you photo, there is a slight delay for about the last 10 % of the upload. Finally click on latest uploads and there it is for copy and paste.

caryc

Hawkeye
SAJohn said:
Here is a work around for photobucket uploads. After logging in do not click on upload, instead click on library then click on the first picture window titled uploads. Select you photo, there is a slight delay for about the last 10 % of the upload. Finally click on latest uploads and there it is for copy and paste.

After reading about the problems everyone else seem to be having I was curious so I tried something new with photobucket. I opened photobucket with my bucket window showing with all the small photos then I minimized it. I then opened Windows explorer, not the browser but the window that shows all your files on your computer. I then minimized that window. So now I had two windows showing on my screen, one of photobucket and one of my files. I didn't actually minimized the windows all the way, I just made them smaller so they would both appear on my screen

I then selected one of my photos from the explorer window and right clicked and dragged it to the photobucket window. It uploaded to photobucket very quickly. I didn't even need to go through the "Photobucket Upload" process. So, even the drag and drop method works with Photobucket.

I hate to keep saying it but I'm one of those people that Photobucket always works for. And for Wyandot Jim, I never indicated that problems with photobucket were "operator error". What I said was it was probably some problem with the computer on the customers end that made photobucket not operate right.

Why else would the same program "Photobucket" always work for me and give some people so many problems? Jim, I would bet that something on your computer is just not getting along with photobucket. What it could be is anyone's guess. Computers are very complicated things. It doesn't take much to make things go screwy.

Imagine how many different computer programs there are out there since about 1985. One of the hardest things in a programmers job is to make all these programs, (some very old ones) get along and work together.

When I used to sell grips on my website I took thousands of photos. The photo program I use is windows "Picture It". Version 1.0 This program came out in 1995 so it's 22 years old and it still runs perfectly with Windows 7. I have two or three other modern photo editing programs but this old one did just what I wanted and did it perfectly with no muss or fuss.

I wish I had the answers for you guys that have problems with Photobucket but I just can't believe those problems are all Photobuckets fault.

I don't use photobucket so I can only speculate. But is it possible the reason it might work with some users but not others is regional? As in perhaps Photobucket has a better server arrangement accessible to some regions of the country but not all? Might have something to do with the advertising? Maybe some areas have more advertising and they want those areas to be faster?

Just a complete wild guess, but I could see this being possible.

caryc

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I don't use photobucket so I can only speculate. But is it possible the reason it might work with some users but not others is regional? As in perhaps Photobucket has a better server arrangement accessible to some regions of the country but not all? Might have something to do with the advertising? Maybe some areas have more advertising and they want those areas to be faster?

Just a complete wild guess, but I could see this being possible.

I have AdBlock Plus. The only ad type thing that opens when I go to Photobucket is the first window to sign up for a paid account. I just close that window and go on my merry way with no ads at all.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I hate Photobucket and have been paying for ImageEvent for nearly 20yrs. It's dead reliable and I don't get bothered with ads.

CraigC said:
I hate Photobucket and have been paying for ImageEvent for nearly 20yrs. It's dead reliable and I don't get bothered with ads.
Nor do I get ads on Photobucket. The ONLY ad I see is when I initially open the link I get an ad about the benefits of being a 'subscriber'. I hit the "x" in the corner and move on to do whatever I want. I have used it on three different PCs using different operating systems (ME, XP, and Windows 8, 8.1, and 10). On all of them I used Firefox and adblocker . Never a problem. I doubt that location is a problem either. I am on the East coast at the head of the Chesapeake Bay and Cary is just a wee bit west of me...like the other side of the country.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You get what you pay for. We hear folks complaining about PhotoBucket all the time.

Here's a screenshot, there's two visible ads right there. If I scroll down, there's another.

PB.jpg