Pet peeve - bullet boxes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
Kevin said:
Really, the ammunition companies should sell factory ammo in lots of 17 ....
They'll be like the cereal companies same size box same price just a couple rounds less. They'll make a little more money and you'll never notice it - right?

As far as loading a gun to capacity. I always fill mine 100% my No1s won't work any other way.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
RSIno1 said:
Kevin said:
Really, the ammunition companies should sell factory ammo in lots of 17 ....
They'll be like the cereal companies same size box same price just a couple rounds less. They'll make a little more money and you'll never notice it - right?

As far as loading a gun to capacity. I always fill mine 100% my No1s won't work any other way.

Your No1s won't work any other way? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wise guy. :D

Mad_Charlie

Bearcat
"That and popping the primers with a hammer and nail in a vice outside."

I knew there was a reason I don't come around here much... :shock:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mad_Charlie said:
"That and popping the primers with a hammer and nail in a vice outside."

I knew there was a reason I don't come around here much... :shock:
I've tried to disarm primers in brass cases with oil but that is not a sure thing. I think it is better to fire them in a gun but that can jam a revolver. What do you suggest for disarming a primer in a bad case? I would like to learn from you. :D

jsh

Single-Sixer
Jimbo, put them in the coals of the BBQ pit to get rid of the primers. Then throw the cases in a bucket of ice water to quench,decap and anneal, two birds with one stone that way.
I suppose you could throw them in while the steaks or burgers are on and the primer may flip the meat if pointed correctly.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Throwing shells with primers in them into a fire, I would think, is more dangerous than popping them in a vice outside with a dull nail. By popping them myself I have complete control of the operation and I don't see what the problem might be. Besides after being in a fire the brass is cooked and you wouldn't want to use it again. :D

ETA. I think maybe the best way to disarm primers in cases might be to squirt them with some WD40, let sit a while, and then deprime and just throw the primer away. Maybe I'll try that.

jsh

Single-Sixer
Jimbo, hope you know that was just a smart alec answer.

I have heard all the talk on never touching a primer with your hands as the oil in your skin can kill them. Maybe the compound has been changed from that came about or folks just are not as oily as the used to be.
I was spooked or real caution, how ever you want to look at it for years, when dealing with cases that had live primers in them. I used mineral spirits to soak them in and decap once. Just as a test I let a few dry out, they all popped. A light oil does kill them but what a mess.
I talked to a fellow that worked in the lab at Sierra about the time I was fooling with these. He told me that a primer shouldn't go off when decapping as the anvil is not supported, but then again a bumble bee should not be able to fly. He highly suggested a universal decapping die instead of a FL or neck die. That way the gases were not contained nearly as bad if one did go off.
I proceeded to decap several five gallon buckets of LC virgin pull down brass. Never had one issue other than breaking a pin every so often.
Jeff

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Life is filled with annoyances. Hotdogs come in packs of 10, but the buns come 8 in a bag. Whose idea was that?

When I take my Blackhawk to the range, I load five at a time like John Wayne. Even though it has a transfer bar and it's safe to load six, I don't like having odd numbers of ammo.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
jsh said:

I proceeded to decap several five gallon buckets of LC virgin pull down brass. Never had one issue other than breaking a pin every so often.
Jeff
Buckets of LC brass? WOW now that is some good experience. I believe you this time but I still don't think I would put a decapping pin on the inside of a primer until I deactivated it with something. :D

loaded round

Hunter
Take a deep breath my friend, and count to 10, you'll feel much better. Seriously, you're looking for an answer for a problem that doesn't exist.

GunnyGene said:
Why is it that otc bullet boxes always contain some multiple of 5 rounds? 5/10/20/25/50 etc.? This drives me nuts. Why not 6, or 8 or 17? Seems like I always end up with 2 or 3 rounds left in the box. I have a whole shelf of partial boxes to try to keep track of, from .22 to 12 gage. :twisted:

wizofwas

Buckeye
Jimbo, I found this on "Box o Truth"

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-39-oil-vs-primers/

And as far as decaping live primers, I believe it is the strike, not the pressure that sets off the primers. So decaping them should not be a problem. (I've done a few myself.) Just go slow and be careful.

Paul B

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
jsh said:

Jeff
Buckets of LC brass? WOW now that is some good experience. I believe you this time but I still don't think I would put a decapping pin on the inside of a primer until I deactivated it with something. :D

Jimbo. At one time I decapped over 600 rounds of WW2 GI 30-06 with those PITA crimped in primers. A few years back did the same thing with the LC 51 30-06 I acquired, again with crimped in primers. All totaled that about 800 to 900 rounds and not a single primer went bang. :shock: Just don't slam band the decapper pin into the primer and nothing will happen.
Still have maybe another 150 rounds to do.
Paul B.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I'd bet that almost everyone (myself included) that started with Lee Loaders has experience with removing live primers with the de-priming primer punch and some sort of striking tool. That is a lot more prone to set off a live primer than a slowly moving de-priming pin on a press. Either way, it ain't gonna blow up your house if it does happen to set off the primer ;)

jd

gwpercle

Bearcat
It wouldn't matter if they came in boxes of 6, 12, 18, 24, 36 or whatever, it will never even out. I've got revolvers that hold 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 and ten rounds and semi-autos that hold 7 , 8 , 10 , 12 and 15 rounds...you still going to have some left over....just shoot them all, even if it's just 3 shots at the end.
Not rocket science , don't let the small stuff bug you !
Gary