Penetration Test - 210gr Partition 2936fps

Help Support Ruger Forum:

358Win

Bearcat
I did a penetration test with the 210gr Partition out of my 338Win Mag moving at 2936fps.

Frist I used 9 hard plastic gallon jugs as the test media. I fired from 10yds away. Here are the 9 jugs measuring in length 49.5 inches or 4.125 feet deep.

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9238.jpg

Second here is the impact effect of the 210gr Partition and note it traveled to the back side of the seventh jug and punched a hole but did not have enough energy and momentum to exit the seventh jug. Also look at the front jug way off to the right and the 9th jug was knocked back and off the table from the impact. The 210gr Partition traveled 38.5 inches or 3.208 feet through the media.

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

Here is the 210gr Partition recovered from the seventh jug with the front part of the partition gone and the back like it is suppose to be. The back remaining part to the partition weighed 148.4grs.
IMG_9243.jpg

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

I do not think there is any doubt about the 210gr Partition killing anything it hits up close or far off when traveling over 2900fps.

358Win

Bearcat
DonD":2z1hn4cy said:
Interesting and impressive. Based on a similar test I did with my .500 Mag whch detonated 6 jugs and got me wet, did you get an unplanned shower? Don

It was a down pour, it actually cause a rainbow for a few moments.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I have taken a few elk with the 210 gr Partition loaded to 2800 fps in my 338-06. All shots were pass throughs and the elk died rather quickly. It is truly a great bullet.

358Win

Bearcat
I have decided to take this test thing to another level. The penetrations tests like the one posted here are not very valuable, as an indication of what a bullet will do on animals, but they are fun to do anyway.

What would show a better indication is if the jugs had been closed in between two one by six and fronted with about 8 inches of wet news print. Then a piece of 3/8ths inch plywood soaked for a few days before the test, then about three jugs, aniother piece of the 3/8ths plywood, then 8 inches of wet news print on the other end of the column.

This would have more closely duplicated a broadside elk or moose, or with more added - a length wise shot on a big elk.

I will try this after hunting season this year giving me some special to do and then really put the 210gr to a test moving the distance out to 25yds.

A

Anonymous

I used my old style 77 in Alaska.

Load was 68 gr IMR 4350 + 250 gr Nosler Partition. This is a moderate load but functional reliability is a premium when dealing with animals that can bite back.

Velocity was about 2600 FPS.

Accuracy was exceptional...less than 1 MOA.

I shot 1 Boone & Crockett Grizzly bear and 1 55" moose. The bullet was a pass thru on the grizzly resulting in a 1 shot kill. The bullet broke the back of the moose and deflected into the body cavity, resulting in another 1 shot kill.

Others hunters that I knew had similar experiences

The 338 with partitions seems to be an excellent dangerous game killer.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
If we have issues with a 338Winchester Magnum - 2900+ fps 210gr Nosler Partition and its penetration/power; then we'd better just stay the hell out of the woods!

Partitions (designed with a slide rule) are the standard by which everything else (designed with computers), is judged.

8)

358Win

Bearcat
mohavesam":346ks9py said:
If we have issues with a 338Winchester Magnum - 2900+ fps 210gr Nosler Partition and its penetration/power; then we'd better just stay the hell out of the woods!

Partitions (designed with a slide rule) are the standard by which everything else (designed with computers), is judged.

8)

Amen mohavesam, very well said!!!

A

Anonymous

Not very impressive at all, considering the bullet was travaling at nearly 3000 fps. Here is an example of real penetration without excessive velocity. A 525 grain lead bullet at around 1200 fps. 14 jugs with rifle 20 feet from front jug. Bullet stopped in last jug.

358Win

Bearcat
Bear 45/70":390xak2a said:
Not very impressive at all, considering the bullet was travaling at nearly 3000 fps. Here is an example of real penetration without excessive velocity. A 525 grain lead bullet at around 1200 fps. 14 jugs with rifle 20 feet from front jug. Bullet stopped in last jug.

Very impressive but not good at all for long shots, not very versatile round, I can do the same with my 45/70 and a Garrett hammer head. Let me know when you are in close quarters with a charging bear or any other dangerous game and your 45/70 is hard to beat. Now that said I use my 338Win mag for lot more game and all the game you would use your 45/70 and I will do it farther. Nice job with your 45/70 and your test. The jugs are still standing, wonder why?????

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
This is a 'JUST FOR FUN TEST ' right ? does anyone really doubt the penetration of a .338 mag 200 grain plus partition at point blank range?

Nice work and great info but I doubt that the results would have been anything less than impressive.

Good shooting -Steve

A

Anonymous

358Win":23lvpefv said:
Bear 45/70":23lvpefv said:

Very impressive but not good at all for long shots, not very versatile round, I can do the same with my 45/70 and a Garrett hammer head. Let me know when you are in close quarters with a charging bear or any other dangerous game and your 45/70 is hard to beat. Now that said I use my 338Win mag for lot more game and all the game you would use your 45/70 and I will do it farther. Nice job with your 45/70 and your test. The jugs are still standing, wonder why?????

I don't live in Wyoming or some other place where you guys call sniping some unawares animal at 500 yards hunting. We get up close and personal. Besides that Have you never heard of the Sandy Hook long range tests. That happened before there was even the idea of a 338 anything much less the parent cartridge of the 375H&H. On top of that the BIG 6 in Africa have been taken with a 45/70.

358Win

Bearcat
For some reason I get this feeling that you have never been up close on any animal of considerable strength, size, and dangerous. I mean up close so you are looking them right in the eye. I have! Why don't you go kill something of significance with your 45/70 instead of just talk. And by the way, I don't live out west, I just go there once a year to hunt and I have hunted Tanzania. Like I said for some reason you want to steal the thread and extol the virtues of the 45/70 without taking ownership of it's deficiencies and limits. It is easy to tell you are not very experienced with many cartridges as a hunter except in your own imagination.

A

Anonymous

358Win":2joxa65u said:
For some reason I get this feeling that you have never been up close on any animal of considerable strength, size, and dangerous. I mean up close so you are looking them right in the eye. I have! Why don't you go kill something of significance with your 45/70 instead of just talk. And by the way, I don't live out west, I just go there once a year to hunt and I have hunted Tanzania. Like I said for some reason you want to steal the thread and extol the virtues of the 45/70 without taking ownership of it's deficiencies and limits. It is easy to tell you are not very experienced with many cartridges as a hunter except in your own imagination.

You would be wrong as most mouse caliber supporters are (and in my opinion a 338 is a mouse caliber like everything else 40 cal and below is). Hell I've had black bears in my yard here in Western Washington. Lived in Alaska for a while and it was Brown Bear country. That's two pretty big predators for you. As to you wanting me to go hunt in Africa. Two reason not too, I NEVER trophy hunt and I'm never going to as back-ass-wards a place like Africa again. Thirdly, I don't need to hunt with a 45/70 in Africa, it's been done and successfully by others. Look here for proof and he wasn't using Ruger level loads but Marlin level loads as all of Garrett's 45/70 ammo is.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/lupoindex.asp

358Win

Bearcat
Bear 45/70":2xicg1m7 said:
358Win":2xicg1m7 said:

You would be wrong as most mouse caliber supporters are (and in my opinion a 338 is a mouse caliber like everything else 40 cal and below is). Hell I've had black bears in my yard here in Western Washington. Lived in Alaska for a while and it was Brown Bear country. That's two pretty big predators for you. As to you wanting me to go hunt in Africa. Two reason not too, I NEVER trophy hunt and I'm never going to as back-ass-wards a place like Africa again. Thirdly, I don't need to hunt with a 45/70 in Africa, it's been done and successfully by others. Look here for proof and he wasn't using Ruger level loads but Marlin level loads as all of Garrett's 45/70 ammo is.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/lupoindex.asp

Like I thought, you are full of it :)